turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

tmarsha0
Returning Member

When will the $10,200 of unemployment tax exemption go into effect?

I think I found my answer. Per HR Block, OH residents are to assume the deduction is included in the AGI.

Looks like NY doesnt recognize the deduction:

https://www.hrblock.com/tax-center/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/state-unemployment-income-exclusion.pd...

According to this, yes: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/internal-revenue-service/help/how-is-my-state-taxing-unemployment-...

I believe this only refers to the online versions, however.

@rcfran

Why do you think that information only applies to the ONLINE version of TT ?   Both the online & downloaded versions are the same in this regard.  The only difference is the downloaded version has more bells and whistles but they both handle the  fed/state forms the same way. 

jemea2966

so since it pass it in the affect. how do we know how much  we are getting  back since it’s a tax break from  unemployment  they took out taxes  do anyone knows and when we will see it back to our accounts 

And this ...   https://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/tax-news/am-i-eligible-for-the-new-unemployment-income-relief-49427...

Here is what you need to know:

The bill makes the first $10,200 of unemployment income ($20,400 for married filing jointly) tax-free for households with income less than $150,000. The legislation excludes only 2020 unemployment benefits from taxes, not unemployment income received in 2021.

• If you have not filed your 2020 tax return, yet, TurboTax is up to date with the new law and will guide you on how to claim these additional unemployment benefits on your tax return. 
  • If you already filed your 2020 tax return, you do not need to do anything to get these additional unemployment benefits. The IRS announced that they will automatically adjust your return and send any additional refund amount directly to you. However, some people may now be newly eligible for additional deductions and credits not already included on the original tax return. In these cases, you will likely want to amend your return to claim these additional dollars. Additional information on this is below.

When will I get my additional unemployment refund from the IRS?

According to the IRS, they will send payments in two phases:

• Phase 1: The IRS will adjust returns for taxpayers eligible for up to $10,200 exclusion. Payments for phase 1 are expected to start in May.
  • Phase 2: The IRS will adjust returns for those married filing jointly taxpayers who are eligible for the up to $20,400 exclusion and others with more complex returns. No specific timing has been given for phase 2 payments.

it lowers your AGI by $10,200 per person (so $20,400 for couples). How much you’re getting back depends on your tax bracket etc.  it is not a tax credit   

Phillip508
Returning Member

I just got an email today saying that the $10,200 deduction for unemployment income DOES apply to BOTH 2020 and 2021 tax returns. The email says that the IRS and the DOR will automatically adjust tax returns if you've already filed, which I did, and that once the additional $10,200 deduction is applied to your Adjusted Gross Income that any additional money you may be owed in a refund would be sent out to you by the IRS. The email went on to say that they expect to adjust everyone's taxes in mid May, which I'm assuming is around the time of the tax deadline that they extended it to from April 15th extension. I will try to copy / paste the email I got below....

On April 1, 2021, Governor Baker signed legislation which allows taxpayers with household income up to 200% of the federal poverty level to deduct up to $10,200 of unemployment compensation from taxable income on their Massachusetts tax return. The deduction may be claimed by each eligible individual for tax years 2020 and 2021. Federal law allows a deduction of up to $10,200 if your federal adjusted gross income is less than $150,000. Since the Massachusetts income threshold is different from the federal income threshold, you may be eligible for a deduction on your federal tax return, but not on your Massachusetts tax return. 

If you have already filed your 2020 Massachusetts income tax return and you believe you are eligible for this deduction, there is no need to file an amended return. The Massachusetts Department of Revenue (DOR) will recalculate all tax returns that included unemployment income and will adjust your return if you are eligible. If your return is adjusted, your reported tax for 2020 will be reduced and you may be entitled to a refund.  If you have no outstanding liabilities, DOR will mail the refund directly to you.  DOR expects to begin issuing these refunds in mid-May and will provide updates about when you can expect to receive them in the FAQs on their website.     

If you have not filed your 2020 Massachusetts income tax return yet, you should report the full amount of your unemployment income on your Massachusetts return using line 8a on resident tax returns (Form 1) or line 10a on nonresident/part-year resident tax returns (Form NR/PY).   If you are eligible for a deduction, you should report the amount of the allowable deduction on Schedule Y, line 9.    

You can find more information about the new deduction in the FAQs on DOR’s website.  If you have any other questions or concerns, please contact DOR at [phone number removed] or online through your MassTaxConnect account.

Thank you for this info.  It's good to know that this would extend to 2021 tax year as well.  Very good to know.

Phillip508
Returning Member

You're welcome. Also, it appears (at least in my state, Massachusetts) that it will only have an impact on your federal return, since the $10,200 is considered a federal deduction. So you most likely won't get anything additional from state returns, but it should help quite a bit with federal since for most of us that reduces our income pretty substantially. Good luck.

Effective March 11, 2020 the IRS confirmed that if your 2020 modified AGI is under 150,000 then $10,200 of unemployment is exempt from federal taxes per individual provided neither you nor your spouse if applicable file a 1040-NR. If you received more than $10,200 in unemployment than the amount about the exemption is taxable income.

If you filed prior to March 11, 2020 then you will need to file an amended return (1040-X form) to receive the benefit of this exclusion.

As a more general point, this issue is a compelling example for filing your 2020 federal return later rather than sooner, particularly if you are expecting a refund. The IRS is swamped by 2019 paper returns, attempting to process payments for the third stimulus and manage the changes to the 2020 code due to the latest "stimulus" bill. Even more, make sure you keep updating your Turbotax software, as Intuit makes necessary changes to keep up with the effects of such a large piece of legislation. Likewise, check with the state(s) where you are filing as deadlines for when taxes must be filed AND deadlines when taxes must be paid if you owe them (these are not always the same) are changing frequently.

@jimliz2

Here is why you do NOT amend your return for unemployment:

Please read this very recent news from the IRS:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-to-recalculate-taxes-on-unemployment-benefits-refunds-to-start-in-m...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
SDA927

I checked the Relief Bill that was approved and the exemption for Unemployment Insurance has been included.  When will Turbo Tax update the software so I can file my taxes?

On 3/19 they updated the Online version for the unemployment 10,200 exclusion. Desktop was updated on March 26. Try updating your program. How to update
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/how-do-i-update-turbotax-cd-download/00/26038

If updating doesn't help then delete the 1099G and re enter it.

If your modified AGI is $150,000 or more, you can’t exclude any unemployment compensation. The exclusion will be on Schedule 1 Line 8 as a negative number. Your unemployment compensation will be on Line 7 of Schedule 1. The result flows to Form 1040 Line 8.

@SDA927 wrote:

I checked the Relief Bill that was approved and the exemption for Unemployment Insurance has been included.  When will Turbo Tax update the software so I can file my taxes?

The unemployment compensation exclusion was updated across all TurboTax platforms, online and desktop, on 03/26/2021.

The exclusion is reported on Schedule 1 Line 8 as a negative number.  The unemployment compensation received is on Line 7 of Schedule 1.  The result flows to Form 1040 Line 8.

If you are using the TurboTax online editions - 

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

If you are using the TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions -

Update your software.

Using a Windows based PC - Click on Online and Check for Updates

The current version is 020.000.1694.  Click on Help>About TurboTax>Version

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies