Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Ruben74
Returning Member

When will form 8915-E be update and available for 2021 tax year?

Wouldn’t the 10% I paid upfront for taxes cover the entire taxes and don’t require Form 8915? 

@Ruben74 

Did you choose to divide by 3.0 (default) or not ?

That makes all the difference.

The 10% you're talking about was for last year, not this year.

This is ridiculous. I bought TTAX in Jan. and still can't file my form electronically without it.

What if I took out money from my retirement in 2021 but chose to have the taxes withdrawn at that time?  I entered that information from my 1099-R and it still says that I need form 8915-E.  Do I really need it if I did not spread out the taxes over three years?

For 2021 you only would use 8915-F, not 8915-E, if you were in a FEMA disaster area.

Obviously there is something wrong with TurboTax.

Ruben74
Returning Member

I read in another post that if you go to your tools option you can actually remove the document 8915 and by doing that it lets you file. I did it and it worked it let me file. 

Then why is it still not available as of 03/14/2021?  This is very frustrating for someone who paid the taxes for their withdrawal upfront.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Great news! The IRS created new Form 8915-F to replace Form 8915-E.  This form will be used for anyone who chose to take a distribution from their retirement and spread the taxable amount over three years.

It was recently (approximately 15 days) taken out of draft and finalized.  TurboTax has an available date of March 24, 2022.  Continue to check the availability date by using the link provided.

When entering your 1099-R in TurboTax CD/Download, you’ll be asked Was this withdraw due to Covid-19? On the next screen, it should ask you Did you test positive for the coronavirus in 2020? However, some users are reporting they aren’t being asked that second question.

We’re working to resolve this issue. If you’d like to receive progress status updates, sign up here.

@Dcaiazza

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Aliciab04

And what do you have to say about it now? A month later and less than a month from when taxes must be turned in and the required document still isnt loaded to Turbotax. 

@JYD22 I came across this procedure that other users have said resolved this problem.  Cannot hurt to give it a try -

If you did not take a disaster distribution from your pension funds between 2018 and 2020, there may be a question that needs to be reviewed.  Follow these steps.  

• Go to Federal / Wages & Income.
  • Scroll down to Wrap up income.
  • Continue.
  • At the screen Did you take a disaster distribution at any time between 2018 and 2020? answer No

Now watch the headings under Federal closely.  

• When you are in Deductions & Credits
  • Scroll down and click on Wrap up tax breaks.
  • Then you are in Other Tax Situations.
  • Scroll down and click on Let's keep going.
  • Continue through to Federal Review

@DoninGA Thanks. I did all of that already, multiple times, & also just now, & that still did not work.  Thanks for trying to help!

Mard819
Returning Member

I am filing my 2021 Federal and New Jersey Taxes. 

Turbo tax is not updated yet to handle this are.  I spread out to 3 yrs. in 2020 my disaster w401 K withdrawal. 

I used 1/3 of the 100K withdrawal i received in 2020, however, New Jersey did not allow the 3 yrs spread, so NJ took as income the whole 100K.  Now for 2021, I put $33,333 in Federal and NJ should not carry the 33,333 since it took the whole 100K in 2020.  What should I do for 2021 to make NJ zero ?

andrewjdunlap
Returning Member

For the steps outlined to give a try, I had success (with live chat help from a tax expert) but I had to go in and delete the form for those steps to work.  Here are steps how to view and delete forms: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-view-and-delete-forms-in-turbotax-online/0....

I already had my taxes withheld when I took this distribution, so why would this hold up my tax return..?? 

If we were allowed to pull from our retirement account without any penalty and we already had the taxable amount deducted from the distribution,,,,whats the hold up.  Confused.

It’s now past March 15th and there is still no update on turbo tax. This is really frustrating considering taxes are due in a month. Has there been any update on when this will be available?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies