Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

tenagra71

When will form 8915-E be update and available for 2021 tax year?

What if I elected to pay all the tax due in 2020 and have nothing left to pay? Do I need to file any form for 2021?

DawnC
Expert Alumni

No, if you paid all of the tax for your 2020 disaster distribution on your 2020 tax return and have not repaid any of the distribution, you do not need to file Form 8915-F.   

Who Must File 8915-F?

File Form 8915- F (2020 disasters) if any of the following apply to you for 2021 for your 2020 disasters.

• A qualified disaster distribution was made to you from an eligible retirement plan.

• You received a qualified distribution.

• A qualified disaster distribution was made to you in a prior year that you are including in income in equal amounts over 3 years and the 3-year period has not yet lapsed.

• You made a repayment of a qualified disaster distribution.

@tenagra71

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I believe HR does, and im very close to going there and being done with TT. Theyve helped me the last few years, so i dont want to leave but, i cannot submit my 2021 return without the 8915e-t its saying. Maybe HR has it....?

mmurr

It appears this form is still not available. I chose to have all federal taxes taken out of my distribution in 2020 and had that documented on my taxes last year so why is this form even needed for my 2021 taxes? 

Fatanmi

Is there any way I can delete this form 8915-E from my tax?

i have been waiting for more than a week to file my taxes

I spoke to them today and DO NOT delete it. Just wait, it will be auto populated on TT site before 3/31 my rep said. Dont delete!!

mmurr

They told me when I called last week it would be available 03/17/2022 and it's not. 

My tax person said the form will be available on the 24th of this month. 

My tax person said the form will be available on the 24th of this month 3/24/22. @tonyteshera 

according to the IRS instructions for form 8915-F, 

You will still use 2020 Form 8915-E to report coronavirus-related and other qualified disaster distributions made in 2020 and to report qualified distributions received in 2020 for qualified 2020 disasters

Would be nice if this form was completed, or even showing on the forms availability list!!! We're at 30 days before deadline!

@billwoody 

The instruction you quoted applies only to filers of 2020 tax returns.

We're all doing 2021 tax returns now.

I invite you to look at the instructions for form 8915-F revised 2/11/22 on the IRS website.... bottom right of page 1 and top left of page 2.

As I don't believe that for 8915-F existed for the 2020 tax year, and the instructions were published this calendar year, it don't think it could be for TY 2020.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8915f.pdf

AMEN!!! Finally someone got this right!!! 

The 2021 instructions for  Form 8915-F clearly states: "... Do not use a Form 8915-F to report qualified 2020 disaster distributions made in 2020 or qualified distributions received in 2020 for qualified 2020 disasters.  You will still use 2020 Form 8915-E to report coronavirus-related and other qualified disaster distributions made in 2020 and to report qualified distributions received in 2020 for qualified 2020 disasters."  You have to spend some deep time reading all of the instructions closely.  You can't just assume 8915-F replaced 8915-E in all cases involved.  

Now I know this is very confusing and nobody has made this clear however where this stands (as far as spreading Corona virus related 2020 distributions over 3 years) is they have sat on their butts getting this 2021 Form 8915-E out and definitely have made it confusing for us all.  Even the IRS has put on their website "Alternative Filing Method for E-filed Returns That Include Form 8915-E" because they know this is screwed up but don't expect this alternative method to make any sense either. 

What I have done so far is in Pro Series (which they have the 8915-E but its a mess and not final but it does calculate correct and taxes the 1/3 proper if you fill it out correctly) is I filled it out and printed a .pdf of the form to send as an attachment somewhat per the IRS instructions in this Alternative Method, even tho it says all over it "Form not Final".  I will probably wait until 3/31 to make sure this isn't resolved, I'm not sure, I have several returns involved, but right now I think I could file them with this solution.   What a frustrating mess for something so simple.  

The IRS draft instructions (which seem to still be the only ones that are available) DO NOT say that Form 8915-F should not be used for tax returns filed in 2021 for taxpayers that took disaster distributions in 2020! In fact the instructions and Form 8915-F clearly say that the new Form should be filed in 2021 for “income in 2021 and later years from qualified 2020 and later disaster distributions.”

tilly1031

This is so confusing. I just want to file my taxes and pay what I owe. 😩

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies