Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

When will form 8915-E 2020 be available in turbo tax?

Honestly, I am stumped. Out of severe abundance of caution I have decided to log out of turbo tax and just let the cards fall where they have to. I am sorry but it is ridiculous. I either need to sell my kidney to pay tax or I am taking a vacation in hawaii. This level of uncertainty and lack of common sense is quite concerning. Right down to the part where they ask you if you were impacted by covid... ok yes. Are you sure... yes. Ok great... but psyke unless you lost a job or something but we are going to keep it open ended wink wink. Ok can we just get to the part.. ohh you want the part.... well you either pay out the wazoo or here is your money. 

Shaking my head. 

I have the store purchases deluxe version and it doesn't even HAVE those questions (yes, I've updated the program a few minutes ago). I deleted my 1099-R, re-entered and completed the section.  It doesn't ask about covid at all, which I take to mean they haven't added the form yet.

@VTCATS wrote:

I have the store purchases deluxe version and it doesn't even HAVE those questions (yes, I've updated the program a few minutes ago). I deleted my 1099-R, re-entered and completed the section.  It doesn't ask about covid at all, which I take to mean they haven't added the form yet.

Be patient, the software will be released today for the desktop editions since it has already been released for the online editions.

I have re entered my 1099r and this time they asked more questions with relation to covid. And this time they didnt take any additional taxes or penalty from me. Eveything is working for me.

Be patient.  That's up there with, "CALM DOWN".   LOL.

Just trying to determine WHEN the form was going to be available so I don't waste my time attempting to complete my taxes.

Yes, we took $22, 000 and repaid $15,000.  Total taxable income of $7,000.  If I put it in to pay back this year, I owe $2000 federal.  If I split it over 3 years, I get $904 back.  That is a difference of $3,000. This means I would pay $9000 over 3 years for $7,000???  I think something is wrong.

No one wants your kidney. 

Is anyone else having an issue that, when asked if you want to spread the distribution over three years for taxation, it says the amount of your withdrawal is $0 (when in fact I have a qualified withdrawal) and it therefore doesn't spread any income over three years?

Atlas777

Hi!

I took out COVID distribution and repaid it during year, but my whole amount take is still included in taxable income. When is this going to be fixed???

Hello,  I have the Home and Business edition of Turbotax and entered my 1099r but as of time of writing, I see no update installed to help to waive the early distribution penalty.  I have been watching the thread of posts over the past week and see that today is the date you mention that 8915-E will be available for all Turbotax users.  I have been a TT customer for years and have always been more than satisfied.  I see some people on this thread are able to use it, and others, not.  Should we give it a few days to iron out the kinks ?   I owe Uncle Sam $$ anyway but would still like to save where, and when, I can.

The online versions has started asking the COVID questions this morning.

Desktop updates are usually released in afternoon or evening.

A new FAQ says the form should be e-file able starting tomorrow 2/26.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/why-am-i-getting-getting-a-10-penalty-on-my-1099-r...

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I am using the online self employment version and as of today, it's working with additional questions asked about repaying all or part of the distribution and if some part of it is left unpaid, if you would like to pay the entire tax burden in 2020 or split it over three years.

I cannot say if any other version is working but I heard elsewhere that the download version gets updated overnight so if that's what you're using, I would try again tomorrow.

I originally posted my question on availability maybe 20-30 days ago and the disturbing thing is that one would think TurboTax, when it is aware there will be an update required, doesn’t somehow include that notification in the affected area, i.e., in this case retirement withdrawals explaining the issue.  This is also the first I was aware that they don’t update online and desktop versions at the same time.  I assume based on last entry it will show up this afternoon or evening but again, kind of disappointing.

It just worked for me and spread it over 3 years ! Finally ! I deleted the 1099R and re entered. Asked if I wasn’t to apply it all this year or over 3 🙏🏻

EF1B1437-81A1-4036-A5E6-BF94447E6FC9.jpeg

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies