Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

When will form 8915-E 2020 be available in turbo tax?

Thanks to all for their help.  I have a CD (as usual, store-bought) and have noticed that periodically once I open up TurboTax, it asks us to hold for updates.  That has happened of late but I will hold off doing anything further until tomorrow, or the weekend.  We live in hope !

@kevinslattery231 wrote:

This is also the first I was aware that they don’t update online and desktop versions at the same time. 

Online is simply TurboTax applying changes to its own server.

The desktop requires packaging the update for each of 4 Window versions and 4 Mac versions and then each user must download the update and apply it to their own computers.  A much more complex process.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Ok so I went into turbotax tools to see my ongoing 1040.

No, it is not showing a 3 year split anywhere. I went through entire 1040 with a fine tooth comb. It just does not. 

Only mention is on line 5b which shows entirety of the number that is taxable income that is supposed to be split in 3 years. 

Where on turbo tax online page for 1040 does it specifically say that I am to be taxed 1/3 of amount listed on line 5b (which is total number to be taxed based on distribution)?

My taxable amount on line 5b was 1/3 of my distribution . So assuming it worked 

Remove your 1099-R's.  Then Run final review.  If everything checks out good with your return, then add your 1099-R to your return and answer the subsequent follow-up questions.  You should get the early withdrawal penalty waived.  Of course you will still be taxed on the income itself, as income taxes on the income itself is not being waived.

Is there a new date for the 8915-E form availability for Windows desktop version of TurboTax Deluxe? I still don't see it available and when I do an update from the tools drop down it says "up to date"

So if I did the digital download copy via TT it should be ready to go? Just delete the 1099R and start that section over? I still have not gotten the “email” that we were supposed to get that I signed up for when the form would be ready. 

rsaritzky

Likewise - it is 2/25/21 and I had previously installed TT from a digital download.  I opened TT today and did the requisite update.  I then deleted my 1099R, then ran the review.  I then added back the 1099R, expecting some additional questions or options to defer some of the income.  Form 8915-E is not listed in the "Forms" view either.  Nothing popped up.  I also didn't get a notification that this has been released (I had signed up 3 weeks ago for notification.  Is this working for TT Deluxe as of 2/25/21 or not?

No. I was able to file and my returns were both accepted within an hour. Suggest user error or trying the app, which is working. I didn’t delete any of the info I previously entered, it worked like it should ha e all along. 

if you bought software that is installed on your PC and you haven’t updated it via the internet or a new cd, why would you think the update for the Covid distribution would be working? 

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

The form availability table shows form 8915-E is available today for mail and e-file. Please refresh your browser or system and log back in to see if the form appears. 

IRS forms availability table for TurboTax individual...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

AkinaLO,
I'm using the TurboTax Deluxe desktop download version for windows, no browser to refresh. I've tried deleting and re-downloading with no help. Form 8915-E is not found in the forms search new Covid questions do not come up when entering the 1099R. The update for this has obviously not been pushed out yet. Can you provide a date when it will be available?

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Per the forms availability schedule, the form just became available for e-file today, February 25.  Try to run a manual update of your software to see if that will load the new forms. If that does not resolve the issue, wait until tomorrow and re-run the update as we do not know the exact time the system will update with the new forms.

@kbl1320

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It took a little time for me to figure it out as well but its there. 
For those who already entered the 1099 form in to their return - 
On the online version of filing, click on the "Federal" section of your return. 
Then, click on the "Edit/Add" button of your 1099. One this window is open, click on the "Edit" button of your 1099 form (DO NOT CLICK the green Continue button, click EDIT next to your form) 
Hit continue a few times as the information is already filled in from previously. You will arrive at a section for "Do any of these situations apply to you?" There is a checkbox for "I took out this money because of a qualified disaster (includes COVID-19)" Make sure you select that and follow the prompts. 
I can see how totally deleting this 1099 and re-adding it will do the same exact thing, but this makes things a little easier if you already have your 1099 forms in there, like i did. 

Did you do a deluxe digital download copy or a CD?

I have done all that, but it is not calculating properly.  It is adding $13,331 to my income when I withdrew $22,000 and paid back $15,000.  That should only be $7,000 in income.  If I check the box for 3 years, it includes no income at all on that line.  Doesn't make any sense.  I'm at the point where I will just file manually.

I need to be able to rely on the numbers and this is not right...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies