Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When trying to import last years tax file it states mine is too big. What is the work around other than manual entry?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

45 Replies

When trying to import last years tax file it states mine is too big. What is the work around other than manual entry?

Never heard of such a thing ... are you trying to transfer in the .tax2016 file or the PDF?
psvenkat

i have the same issue.... last years tax was filed by a CPA that has retired. He provided me a PDF version that when attempted to import states the same error... any suggestions?

Ok ... you cannot  transfer in from a PDF ... all you can do is enter  the required info as needed.

See my new answer below for transferring a pdf into the Desktop programs.

How to transfer 2016 tax file to the 2017 program -- pick your situation below:

2016 Online to 2017 Online

Simple – just sign in with the same login you used on last year's return and we'll do the rest. Forgot your login?

Note: To transfer last year's return to 2017 Federal Free Edition, you'll need to accept the upgrade to TurboTax PLUS which appears shortly after you sign in.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900883-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-turbotax-online

2016 Online to 2017 Downloaded

If you prepared your 2016 return online, in order for your previous year tax information to transfer into your Desktop software you need to download your 2016 Online return as a .tax2016 file. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900748-how-do-i-get-a-copy-of-a-return-i-filed-in-turbotax-online

If you can't get or didn't save the .tax file to your computer before online was shut down Oct 15 or lost it,  there is a way to do it by starting your return in the 2017 Online version, transfer into that and then you can switch and continue in the desktop version and you won't have to pay for online.  Expand the 3rd section for transferring an Online return in this FAQ
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901506-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-turbotax-for-windows

2016 Downloaded to 2017 Online

Last year's tax data file (.tax files) can be transferred to Online Deluxe and higher-tier versions.

1.     Sign in to TurboTax Online, if you haven't already done so.

2.     Select Tools from the My Account menu in the upper right corner.

3.     In the pop-up window, select Transfer last year's TurboTax return from your computer.

4.     Read the warning and then click Continue (or Cancel to abort the transfer).

5.     Browse to where you saved your .tax2016  file and select it.

6.     Click Transfer Return and wait for your file to finish uploading.

7.     When you see Transfer Complete, click Continue to start working on your return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900883-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-turbotax-online 

2016 Downloaded to 2017 Downloaded

Do you have the 2016 tax file on your computer?  It ends in .tax2016.  You need that to transfer into 2017.  First thing you do is start a new return and it should find all your 2016 files and ask if you want to transfer them.  

Here's how for Mac:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901265-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-turbotax-for-mac

Here's how for Windows:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901506-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-turbotax-for-windows

Yes you can try transferring from a PDF.  It has to be an electronic pdf from another tax program.  Not a pdf scanned from a paper copy.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6370690

I have been using TurboTax on my MacBook Pro for 5 years and it has always been easy to transfer the info from one year to the next.  This year 2019 would not.  I finally figured out that I have been saving a copy of my taxes in PDF format and not .2018tax, or whatever year.  Suddenly this year TurboTax decided not to allow imports from their own product on Mac using PDF, but if you had used HR Block, a PDF would work.  This is nuts.  Anyway I was able to bring up my 2018 taxes, save it with a .2018tax ending and it finally imported it.  Don't know why they had to make things so hard this year

jcchu_sky

How do you open up that pdf file in turbo tax?

JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

@jcchu_sky, this link will explain how to save, view, print a pdf turbo tax file: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/saving/help/how-do-i-save-my-return-as-a-pdf-in-the-turbotax-softw...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Turbo tax really is awful given that it saved 2018 as a pdf and now when filing i 2019 it states the file is too big to transfer.  Pretty bad.

MNMaria
Returning Member

I just had this problem working on my 2020 return and TurboTax

told me my 2019 file was too big.  I went back to 2019 and went to "print returns" and then looked at the 2019 PDF that was 80 pages long.  I figured out that I only wanted to import the 2019 federal detail and then made a new PDF retitled "myname2019FedOnly" that was only pages 7 to 42 of my 2020 entire PDF.  I then was able to import it successfully to my 2020 file

I had this issue this year trying to import 2019 taxes into TT2020. I solved by opening 2019 TT, choosing print returns for your records, then uncheck state returns, select tax return only and choose save as .pdf from drop down menu in the print window. Give the file a name different than your complete return has & import into TT2020. Yea, WHY CANT TURBO TAX TELL US THIS IS NECESSARY THS YEAR. Every year now I have to figure out their secret workarounds for changes they make and never admit to making. Hope this helps others. FYI i use Mac. 

babyravi

i am trying to download investment information from TD Ameritrade and it would not download numbers larger than 11 digitd including cents. TD Ameritrade has consolidated several transactions creating this problem. Does anyone know of a tax program that would download transactions with 12 digits.

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

This TurboTax FAQ may provide useful information for your situation: How do I enter a large number of stock transactions in TurboTax Online?

@babyravi

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies