Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What should I put into the blank next to Schedule C in Box 1 of the Non-Employee Compensation Worksheet?

I am on the review portion and the box is blank. I have gone back to the entry screen, but there doesn't seem to be anything I can adjust.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

What should I put into the blank next to Schedule C in Box 1 of the Non-Employee Compensation Worksheet?

This would be the Amount from Box 1 of your Form 1099-NEC (screenshot).

To enter this, type '1099-nec' in the Search area, then click on 'Jump to 1099-nec'.

Choose EDIT at the 1099-Summary and make your entry.  

Click this link for info on How to File Form 1099-NEC.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am having this same issue. I do not see search results when I type "1099-nec" into the blank box beside schedule C.

GloriaL
Expert Alumni

Income reported on Form 1099-NEC must be reported on Schedule C, the program is trying to link these two forms together to be sure that it is reported correctly and on the right form.

Revisit the section where you entered the Form 1099-NEC if you entered it on its own and delete that entry, by following these steps:

1. Open TurboTax.
  2. On the top right corner of TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner).
  3. Type in “1099-NEC” (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find),
  4. Click on the “Jump to 1099-NEC” link.

This will bring you a summary of all Form 1099-NEC that you have entered.  Click Delete or the Trash can icon next to each one.

Next, you will re-enter the Form 1099-NEC as part of the Schedule C so that the income is reported directly as part of your Business Income and Expenses and within the correct form and section of your return.

Follow these steps to go to the Schedule C section of your return: 

1. On the top right corner of TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner).
  2. Type in “schedule c” (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find).
  3. Click on the “Jump to schedule c” link.

If you already have created a Schedule C in your return, click on edit and go to the section to Add Income.  This is where you will re-enter the Form 1099-NEC. 

If you do not already have a Schedule C in your return, follow the prompts and enter the information about your work/business for which you received the Form 1099-NEC.  Then continue through that section to Add Income and enter the Form 1099-NEC along with any additional income you received for that business.  

Once you have completed this, the error should be eliminated. 

@akadanielm

Thanks, @GloriaL . Every time I click the Schedule C link it takes me to the 2020 self- employed work summary. I already filled out the 1099-NEC form but you're saying delete it? When I did the NEC I got a warning saying I needed to link up to Schedule C....but how do I get that link if I can't get to schedule C? So confused...

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

You may have it entered twice.   It only needs to be entered in the Schedule C section.   When you are on the Self-Employed Work Summary, click on Edit next to your business.  Then click on Edit next to the Income for that business.   The 1099-NEC should be linked there, one time.   Try to link it from there and then attempt to e-file again.   If you continue getting the error, then yes, I would delete the 1099-NEC and then re-enter it so you can get it on the Schedule C.   Right now, it is out there, but just not connected to the Schedule C yet.   Or you may have two entered, one linked and one not-linked.   In that case, you would want to delete the one that is not linked to the Schedule C.     @clcdubv

Thank you for the prompt response. I'm still unclear...whenever I click the search box to go directly to Schedule C it takes to a list of options like NEC and MISC. How do I enter it into Schedule C first?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Follow these steps: 

• Delete your 1099-NEC
  • You need to go to federal income section.
  • Scroll down to business 
  • Click edit/ update
  • Business should be listed
  • Edit
  • Your Business page with profile, income, inventory, etc
  • Scroll down to Business Income
  • Start/edit/ update
  • Select 1099NEC
  • Enter the 1099-NEC as business income

I don't see "Business Income" under the Federal income section. For me, it is contract work and I assumed I'd file a 1099 (now called an NEC, I guess?).

There is "Other Common Income" section that includes NEC. Should I do that?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

No, this is not where you will put this information. If using Turbo Tax online, perform these steps.

1. Log into Turbo Tax
  2. Go to federal>wages and income>Self-Employment>show more
  3. Self-employment income and expenses>start or revisit
  4. Answer the questions regarding your contract work to build a business profile.
  5. Once you answered the questions, you will be taken to a screen that says let's Enter the income for your Work
  6. Check the box that says Form 1099-NEC, new IRS form for nonemployee compensation (replaces 1099-MISC)
  7. Now you can begin entering income and expenses for your work

Thanks, Dave. I'm unclear about how to "add another line of work." I work for a nonprofit as a project coordinator. It is a contract position. Would I enter the nonprofit's information for the business name and FEIN?

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

No.  These questions are in regards to your "business"  and not who pays you.  For anyone who pays you, you will enter the Business Information and FEIN on the 1099-NEC entry screens, but unless you have registered (or use) a business name and FEIN, you can leave those lines blank.

Ok. Thanks. So would I put "Project Coordinator" for the work description and choose "office administrator" for the work industry or just choose "other?"

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

You can put practically whatever you want for the work description, but the idea is to generate the NAICS code that best represents the work you do.  The IRS uses this information as an expectation of what types of expenses are typical in your field.

Ok. I chose "other" and followed these steps and got the same screen I got earlier, which says "Looks Like We Are Missing Some Info: Some of your 1099-NEC forms don't include enough info for us to know where to report the income on your return."

I can only figure that what needs updated is the work description so the NAICS code is more clear?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies