Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is fix for update failure with Premier showing Microsoft Installer Error 1603?

Manually downloaded update 189MB perrelsuperpatch_ttax2020 with no success.  Have partially completed return that will NOT open!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

What is fix for update failure with Premier showing Microsoft Installer Error 1603?

This error can occur when the Microsoft .NET Framework Installer can't install and/or update your system. Possible causes include:

• Damaged Windows file and folder permissions
  • Damaged Windows Registry key permissions
  • Damaged Microsoft .NET Framework installation

Solutions

If error 1603 occurs while updating TurboTax, download and install a manual update.

If error 1603 occurs while installing TurboTax (or in other situations), it may be related to the .NET Framework. See Troubleshooting problems with the Microsoft .NET Framework for more help.

Please click Error 1603: "A fatal error occurred during installation or updating" to learn more. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
gckc
Level 3

I had the same problem and tried all of the help listed on your site.

Chkdsk

Disk repair

netx repair

antivirus off

Your manual update link was non-functional by the way

I even tried a Turbotax repair on the install/uninstall programs

I finally uninstalled an re-installed Turbotax which corrected the problem

I had the same problem yesterday and called TurboTax for help. The rep first thought it was a problem with my computer. I pointed out that a lot of people are having the same problem. We tried a few things (like disk defragmenting) and eventually uninstalled TurboTax. And then reinstalled from my CD. Updates worked and everything seems okay for now.

Yes, uninstalled and reinstalled 2020 Premier download and it works, so far

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same problem for me with Deluxe CD version.  I went to the TurboTax site and sought to download another copy.  When I started the download, it told me I had to uninstall the previous version or REPAIR the current version.  Chose REPAIR, waited 15 minutes, Repair was "successful."  And everything worked fine after that.  By the way, I tried disconnecting my computer from the internet - didn't work.  Try the REPAIR function, it worked for me.

THe OPTION that says the computer is messed up Does not work - The only solution found by real people is to uninstall TT then reinstall it from the CD and then the updates work fine - I hope the next update works, but at least I know how to bypass the TT software problem (unfortunately  an employee sent me down this path AND I wasted many hours trying all those things my computer has never been healthier and the stress from this bad advice is enough to give up on using this software next year).  Quit blaming this recurring problem on our PCS.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Thank you for your patience and sharing your solution to uninstall and reinstall.

For more information, see: Error 1603: "A fatal error occurred during installation or updating".

Click the link to check that your device meets minimum system requirements.

I'm having the exact same issue. Tried everything from restarting router, closing all programs etc. Still looking for a fix.

I had this problem in March of 2021. The solution then was to uninstall TurboTax. And then reinstall from my CD. Updates worked and everything was okay. If that didn't work for you, I would call TurboTax. That's what I did last year.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Are you receiving the same error 1603? If so, please try to manually update your software to see if that resolves the issue. Troubleshoot installation and running TurboTax for Windows

Manually Update TurboTax for Windows Software (Basic, Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business)

There are additional troubleshooting steps in this help article as well: 

If you're still having problems after updating, please reach out to Customer Support for additional assistance.

What is the TurboTax phone number?

@Salute2

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Uninstall Turbo Tax and reinstall (as an Administrator). Worked perfectly!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies