turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: What if my parents claimed me as a dependent in 2019 but I no longer live with them in 2020 can I still claim the stimulus check?

So that’s my situation last year for 2018 taxes I believe my parents claimed me I was 23 also a college student but I file my own taxes at same time so this year my parents did not file but I’ turning 25 and I did file my 2019 taxes on my own but they did not but last years they claimed me will I get stimulus , every time I check says payment status not available or not enough information , I received one tax return already 

LJVP
Level 2

Tax Year Prior to 2020: What if my parents claimed me as a dependent in 2019 but I no longer live with them in 2020 can I still claim the stimulus check?

The federal government can only look at the most recent tax filing. if you were claimed as a dependent then you will not receive a stimulus check. So make sure that you are not claimed by someone and file your taxes this year for 2019

Cjda

I’m dealing with the same thing with my boyfriend trying to help him track his stimulus. 

His parents claimed him as a dependent in 2018. They have not yet filed for 2019.

He E-filed his 2019 return on April 14th. Although he could be claimed as a dependent in 2018 he could not in 2019.

the irs website does not show any updates to track his payment, it says that are still awaiting information or he is not eligible. 

I assume his parents received $500 for him as their last filed return was for 2018. 

Will he have to wait until he files 2020 to receive the stimulus? And will he still be eligible even though his parents received $500 for him?  

LJVP
Level 2

1st if he is over the age of 17 his parents did not receive $500 dollars for him. And I think something is wrong if he hasn't received a check yet. If his tax file has been accepted by the IRS then they use that information to send out a stimulus check as well. this is separate from the tax filing and the stimulus check is sent based on the exact information provided on form 1040. When searching you also must be exact and also confirm your banking information. 

I just spent 3 hours on the phone with the IRS. If you were dependant in 2018 and independent in 2019 then they went with whatever they had on file as of April 1. If you had not filed your updated 2019 by April 1 then you are $hit out of luck and considered ineligible even if you submitted a valid 2019 tax return days later like I did on April 13. They have no plans to change this at this time. I asked if I had filed a month earlier if it would have affected anything and they refused to comment.... any advice?

LJVP
Level 2

File an appeal through the IRS.gov web sight is my first thought but you must receive a letter declining your request. and then you cant just send your protest to the office of Appeals because it has to be examined by the same people who denied you first. That Tax assessor must try to resolve the issue first and then the process can start at the Office of Appeals. SO YES YOU ARE SCREWED until next year I hope if more people are in your same predicament. So I encourage you to voice your opinion as widely as you can.  

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

You may be eligible to receive your stimulus through a credit on your 2020 tax return.

Per the IRS:

If you did not receive the full amount to which you believe you are entitled, you will be able to claim the additional amount when you file your 2020 tax return.  This is particularly important for individuals who may be entitled to the additional $500 per qualifying child dependent payments. For VA and SSI recipients who don’t have a filing requirement and have a child, they need to use the Non-Filer tool (link) on IRS.gov by May 5 in order to have the $500 added automatically to their $1,200 Economic Impact payment. We encourage people to review our “How do I calculate my EIP Payment” question and answer (See question 11).

Economic Impact Payments

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Chey5432
Returning Member

how were you able to get through to the irs by phone? If you don’t mind me asking. I have been trying to get ahold of them for almost two months @fishandbike 

I asked about claiming a credit on 2020 and the representative (who was rather upset with me at this point) said "I dont know anything about no 2020 tax credit, I just know at this time you are ineligible because someone claimed you in 2018" she didnt care about my 2019 where I was independent at all. Or the fact that I filed 2019 and it was approved on April 13th

Hansel

The one response was incorrect.  Parents do not get a stimulus check for adult dependents.  They just  get their own regular stimulus.  They don’t get any extra.stimulus because they claim you as as dependent if you are an adult.  

I'm 20 years old and somebody claim me on taxes and I don't know who and now I cannot receive the settlement check

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

If you file in 2020 and are NOT claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return, you will be able to receive the stimulus payment as a credit on your 2020 tax return.

Per the IRS:

If you did not receive the full amount to which you believe you are entitled, you will be able to claim the additional amount when you file your 2020 tax return.  This is particularly important for individuals who may be entitled to the additional $500 per qualifying child dependent payments. For VA and SSI recipients who don’t have a filing requirement and have a child, they need to use the Non-Filer tool (link) on IRS.gov by May 5 in order to have the $500 added automatically to their $1,200 Economic Impact payment. We encourage people to review our “How do I calculate my EIP Payment” question and answer (See question 11).

Economic Impact Payments

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
LJVP
Level 2

Unfortunately that is true if someone claimed you as a dependent. Someone would need your SS number to do so. either your identity was stolen or you parents did. If they used Turbo Tax It may have claimed you automatically and they didn't know it. if you find out then the and you would need to file the correction. Make sure your ID id secure

LJVP
Level 2

No I do not believe so, The checks go out to individuals based on 2019 tax status or 2020 tax status so you can receive a stimulus check if you filed as an individual for 2020. Currently we do not know if a second stimulus will happen. My current belief is that a plan is in place to have a federal tax collection vacation for current workers. but I am not in the loop to know. 

cjL8

Hi quick question. In 2018 my parents filed me as a dependent, but for this most recent 2019 taxes my parents did NOT put me down as a dependent. I filed my own taxes in early May, and my parents filed their 2019 taxes right around the deadline of July 15.

I received my tax return about 1 month ago and my parents just received theirs last week. It may be too early for me to get my stimulus check, but I wanted to see if I am still eligible and will be receiving it in the near future? Thank you in advance! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies