turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

747-43xlm

Tax Year Prior to 2020: What if my parents claimed me as a dependent in 2019 but I no longer live with them in 2020 can I still claim the stimulus check?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

289 Replies
LJVP
Level 2

Tax Year Prior to 2020: What if my parents claimed me as a dependent in 2019 but I no longer live with them in 2020 can I still claim the stimulus check?

The payments will go out quickly to the last known filing status. If you file 2019 taxes as an individual you will receive the $1200 stimulus check based on that. if your parents claimed you as a dependent last year or this year the stimulus credit will be $500 dollars payable to that household. by direct deposit or my mail depending on the last filing. So file quickly if you can as an individual.

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

If you were claimed as a dependent on your parents' 2019 tax return, you will not receive stimulus payment.  However, because the payments will be 2020 tax credits, if you are not claimed as a dependent for 2020, you should be able to receive the credit when you file your 2020 tax return.

Under the bipartisan coronavirus relief package, which was passed last week, each adult will receive a stimulus payment of $1,200 and they will get $500 per child, for taxpayers who make less than $75,000 individually or $150,000 jointly. 

However, no money will be provided for dependents who are older than 16, and these dependents are unable to claim the payment for themselves. The stimulus checks exclude older dependents, like college students or those who are disabled. 

Legislation has been proposed that would make older dependents, 17 and 18 year-olds, college students and those who are disabled, eligible for the $500 payment.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What if my parents claimed me in 2018 and have not filed yet, but I have already filed my 2019 tax returns as an individual and received my refund? Will I get the stimulus?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You will get a stimulus check since you filed a tax return in 2019 and did not indicate that you were someone else's dependent.

My parents claimed me to I havent even lived with them in over a year and a half i got my own place about to lose it because of this and I'm getting no money now.  Because my dad thought it would be ok telling the goverment  he takes care of me they havent done anything for me . But I filed my own taxes and it said accepted by irs but no info on where it is so I'm not sure if I'm getting any money cause there so controlling and do it behind my back

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

I am sorry you are dealing with this.  The trigger here will be, how did you file your return this year?  If you claimed that you could be claimed as a dependent on your parents return, they will get the stimulus relief for you.  

If you and your parents are both claiming you as a dependent, You will  receive a letter from the IRS, stating that you were claimed on another return, telling you that if you made a mistake to file an amended return and if you didn't make a mistake to do nothing.

Your parents will get the same letter you did. If one of you doesn't file an amended return,  the next letter, from the IRS, will require you to provide proof. Be sure to reply in a timely manner.

There are other ways that you can get help also.  Have you filed for unemployment?  

What if I put down in my 2019 taxes that somebody could claim me as a dependant, but my parents did NOT claim me as a dependant in 2019? Does that change anything? (What if they claimed me in 2018?)

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

If you are eligible as a dependent, regardless of whether you were claimed or not, you do not qualify for the stimulus.

so even the people who live on there own pay there own bill and there independent and said that there parents could claim them dont get any money?

But I'm 24, doesn't that make me unelegible to be a dependant? (Turned 24 in 2019, was 24 when filing)

Also, what if I amend my tax return to file as independant ? 

Thanks for the quick reply, btw

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

Yes, you have to be a student and younger than 24 years as of the end of the calendar year for you to be claimed by your parents as a dependent. 

My parents claim me as a dependent but I try to file admin to get my simulation money but it's going to take 12 or more weeks plus I have to mail it out which I don't have access to library due to covid so how can you tell irs I'm not a dependent 

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

Well, if you moved out of your parents house in 2020 and you live there for at least six months in 2019 and they provided half your support when living with them, then they can claim you as a dependent. Don't forget that this tax return is actually for 2019 even though you preparing the return in 2020.

If my parents claimed me as a dependent, but i’ve also filed my own taxes for 3 years now will i receive the stimulus check?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies