turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

neka256

What does it mean when it says federal tax due 2400.. does that mean I'm getting that back or do I owe that?

I amended my taxes because they said my daughter social was wrong. It is not
 It now says federal tax due is 2,400. What does that mean?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

What does it mean when it says federal tax due 2400.. does that mean I'm getting that back or do I owe that?

if the IRS says her SSN was invalid, then your return was rejected when you e-filed.   normally this would mean you would need to correct it and re e-file or mail in your return. if you didn't change it because it was correct what exactly did you do?  you can't file an amended return if the IRS never got an original which would seem to be the case.

"due' means you owe the IRS. 

@neka256 We need a better understanding of exactly what you have done.    Did you try to e-file and was your e-file rejected?   Or did you get some sort of notice from the IRS about your child's Social Security number AFTER your return was rejected---was your refund reduced?

If you tried to e-file and got a rejection for the SSN, then amending is not the way to fix the problem.   You do not use the amendment process to fix a rejected return.   Amending is only used for a return that has been accepted and fully processed---and then you find out you need to correct something.

So if you were using the amendment process to fix a rejected return---get out of that.

I clicked on “amend” by mistake

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2552802-how-do-i-cancel-or-undo-an-amended-return-in-turbotax-onli...

Go to My Info and make sure your child's SSN is entered correctly there.   If it is correct then try to e-file again.  If it is rejected again, post back here with EXACTLY the rejection message you get.

If something else happened---post back with some details so we understand.  We cannot help effectively if we do not know what went wrong.   We cannot see your return or your account.

And...."tax due" does mean that you owe money to the IRS---it means you are  NOT getting money back.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies