How do I cancel or undo an amended return in TurboTax Online?
If you started amending your federal return by accident and would like to cancel the amendment, carefully follow this process to correctly "unamend" your federal return:
- Open your return in TurboTax Online.
(To do this, sign in to TurboTax and click the orange Take me to my return button.)
- Click Review near the top of your screen and keep going until you reach the You did it! Your taxes are amended.
- Near the top of your screen, click Federal Taxes (or Personal in Home & Business) > Other Tax Situations > scroll down to Other Tax Forms > then click Start or Update next to Amend a Return.
- Click Continue on the following screen (We'll help you amend) and then answer No, I don't need to amend to the question Have you already filed this return? Click Continue.
- Click Cancel next to, Nevermind, I don't need to amend.
The best way to "unamend" your state return is to go through your state return from the beginning and keep your eyes peeled for amend-related screens or questions.
The amend question usually appears right at the beginning or towards the end of the state interview (never in the middle).
Correct any entries that have to do with an amended return, e.g.:
- Answer No when asked if you want to amend;
- Clear any amend-related checkboxes;
- Delete entries in the tax year field.
- Note: In a few state programs, you actually have to answer Yes to the amend question so you can revisit the screens that contain the information you want to delete.
If you still can't get rid of your state amendment form, try deleting your state return and starting over.