turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

What does it mean to say "Sch SE-T Max deferral line 18 must be entered"?

Only of you want to deffer, if you don't you just go to the covid relief section hit the self employment section answer the question say no and it will say your not eligible and that is that. Boom no issues. 

No issues for you, but for other people there is a glitch. Glad it worked for you, but for others there is a glitch you have to get around. For some of us, even when hitting "no", we are still given a deferral and our taxes lowered for some reason. 

What I did is delete form but it came back so I went to covid relief section went to self employment tax section clicked on it answered the question said no to defferal. Went to tax tools previewed my 1040 as long as there is nothing in 12e deferral for certain schedule  H or se filers then you aren't deferring and your good to go. 

I just did what someone recommended - I altered my W2's until I got to a point where I owed money. I was able to then select the deferment option (previously I was told I didn't qualify even when I clicked yes) and state how much I made from march-dec, and finally I was given the option to write in 0 for the amount I wanted to defer. Unfortunately, when I got to the final page "federal review", it still popped up that I needed to review this section. Has anyone talked to Turbo Tax today and heard when they intend to have this issue fixed?Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 4.56.10 PM.png

lauras3

Thank you - thank worked for me!

Those of you who are writing about the W-2: You do realize that the federal review trigger is about the self-employment tax? W-2 is irrelevant. It's the SE-T section of Schedule C. And, from what I read somewhere about this trigger, it's caused by the 1099-NEC forms.

Yep completely irrelevant. I’m a 1099-NEC and NONE of these things have worked for me 

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

For the 1099-NEC, if the trouble is linking it to your Schedule C or another form, then please Sign Up here for email updates. TurboTax is working on this issue. 

Form 1099-NEC is a new form for non-employee compensation that replaces what used to be reported on Form 1099-MISC, Box 7 in the past. For more details, see What is Form 1099-NEC?

@nightmares55

I did the same as you- simply put 0 --0 I don't want any of the SE tax deferred

emilydchaffee
Returning Member

Has anyone figured this out yet?? 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Your self-employment income may be eligible for a portion of your self-employment tax to be deferred.  See this TurboTax Help.

Line 18 of Schedule SE states: 'Enter the portion...that can be attributed to March 27, 2020 through December 31, 2020."  It is asking for the portion of your self-employment income that can be attributed to that period of time.

In TurboTax Online Self-Employed, I was able to enter a self-employment tax deferral and pass Review.  Then I was able to remove self-employment tax deferral and pass Review.

Follow these steps. 

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Deductions  & credits.
  • Under Your tax breaks, scroll down to Self-employment tax deferral.
  • Click on Edit/Add to the right of Self-employment tax deferral.
  • At the screen Do you want more time to pay your self-employment tax?, click Yes.
  • At the screen Let's start by getting your eligible income, enter the line 18 amount referred to above.
  • Click on Continue.
  • At the screen Tell us how much you'd like to defer, change the dollar amount to $0.
  • Click Continue.
  • Click through Federal Review to make sure than the Review issue has been removed.
  • At the screen Some of your self-employment taxes may be eligible, click Skip.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I've entered the amount I made from March-December and stated I want $0 deferred and all it does is loop me back to review this section.

When I go to Deductions and credits, whether I answer Yes or No to "Do you want more time to pay your self-employment tax?" it tells me I do not qualify for deferral, so I'm not sure why I can't just move on.

I've tried adjusting mine and my husband's W2's (we both work full time jobs and I also have a contracting side gig) in order to reflect that we owe, so that I can state I want $0 deferred, and this doesn't work either.

I've deleted the form entirely, cleared my cache/cookies/refreshed, and it still shows up.

Yesterday, I thought I figured it out, but I got all the way to e-file and it took me right back to that section. I don't qualify for deferral so why am I being looped back? I've answered all the questions the correct way - this is maddening. Do you have any suggestions?

ri27

Just called support and was told to put 0 when smart check complains and that is it. 

jalawley

It won't let me file without filling in this section either. I estimated my income from March to December as requested and now my return is a couple thousand more BUT I do NOT want to defer. I would rather pay the taxes now. Now I can't find out how to edit this darn entry so that I don't owe next year. I'm super annoyed!  Turbotax keeps disconnecting me when I call and I can't get any help!  I can't even find the entry when I say I don't want to defer taxes so that I can get my refund back to where it was before that entry!

jalawley

Terrijo2021- I entered those numbers as you suggested and my refund went up $2000. I don't want to defer though, I'd rather pay what I owe now!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies