Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

What does it mean to say "Sch SE-T Max deferral line 18 must be entered"?

Probably because they cannot figure it out as their experts on this thread all are posting different answers...

Yup totally agree, they told me you couldn't file a form 7202 efile yes you can a tax professional software can. H and R block had no issue e-filing so I have to have them done because they can't efile the new forms blaming it on the irs😆. Plus no one can give the same answers. I am so done believing anything at this point

I've been in this loop as well (Self-employed online version). Finally I when into tools and deleted Schedule SE-T and it reset my tax referral to zero. All was right with the world. Going through review it took me back to the infamous question of how much I earned between March 27-Dec. 1 so I just put 0. So everything worked & reviews. One last time it still suggested I go back to the tax deferral section! So persistent. I think this is the solution for now. Putting 0 on that form should not affect your return in any way since Part III of Schedule SE is simply relating to referral. Not my preferred solution, but Turbotax is giving us not choice if we're not running the desktop version so we can edit forms.  1040 Schedule 3, line 12E is what's important to be right.

GUYS SOMEONE HELP ME this is my first tie filing ever and im stuck on this what do I do

Go down to the covid relief section the last one is about self employment deferal answer the question and say no then it should say your not eligible. That's how mine went away. 

So what I did was enter "0" for line 18 on the SE-T. It then says you're good to go. Before you file, it gives you the option to review your tax forms. I reviewed them, and it must have removed the SE-T form because I don't see it there anymore. I am not sure if that could be a "fix"? That is the best I could come up with. 

fballs

To sum up everything I've read here, the only workable solutions currently for people using the online system: 

- If you owe taxes you can say YES to the deferral and then set the amount you want to defer to zero.   

- If you have a refund coming you can't say yes to the deferral, you'll have to enter zero on line 18 of the SE.   Even though this is technically wrong, it is immaterial to the return.   If you've already entered another number, you'll have to delete the SE and then re-enter the income data that went on it (if necessary).  Mine auto-regenerated from my Sched C data.  And then enter zero on line 18 when prompted during the verification check.  

Other than that, you just have to wait for Intuit to program the ridiculously simple fix to this problem.   Whenever they get around to it.  

jalawley

@fballs - I deleted the SE form and it didn't regenerate to give me line 18 again. So apparently it's working for some of us and not others as far as that....I'm just worried that I shouldn't have deleted SE

fballs

@jalawley  - Hmm.  Maybe it won't auto-regenerate for everyone.  Depends where the data on it came from?  For me, data from my Schedule C goes on the SE.  Whatever data you input (income section) to populate the SE, you might have to do it again.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Errors for form 7202 can be solved by removing the form; if you are taking the credit and need the form, you have to file by mail.    The Sch SE-T deferral error is different and may need extra steps to fix if you have net SE income on your tax return.   Line 18 of Sched SE is the total amount of eligible income (income earned from 03/27/-12/31).   Entering 0 on Line 18 alone is not going to remove the error if you have previously entered an amount to be deferred.    If the error is taking you to a worksheet that shows a deferral amount of 0, delete that 0 and leave the field blank; you should be able to continue filing without error.    

To go through the interview and edit the amounts you can defer or want to defer:

1. Click on Federal from the left menu
  2. Click on Deductions and Credits from the top menu
  3. Scroll down and click on See More Tax Breaks if you don't have the full list
  4. Look for and Review the entries under Tax Relief related to Covid-19

Click Revisit / Enter / Edit next to Self-Employment (SE) tax deferral.   To update the form, answer YES to the first question (even though you don't want to defer these taxes).   Enter your eligible earnings and on the next screen, enter 0.   TurboTax will calculate the amount you are eligible to defer but you do not have to defer the tax, you can enter 0 in that field, and then you should be able to e-file.    If you get an error for the 0 during the review, delete that 0 and leave the field blank.  

If deleting the amount on Line 18 of Sched SE or deleting/clearing out the 0 from the worksheet in the review section does not work, you may need to add some temporary income to be able to remove this error.   The extra steps below are for people who previously elected to defer taxes that they do not owe and are unable to correct the error in the interview.    

You can't defer the tax if you are showing a refund due to you and/or don't owe any SE tax.   So, if you completed the form while you were not showing a refund amount, but after entering additional information, you now show a refund - you will get a message that says ''Looks like you are not eligible for this deferral'' when you go through the interview. 

In this case, to be able to remove the adjustment in the interview, you can add another line item of Other Self-Employment income of 100K (see image below)  before you go through the interview.   Then, after your return is in a ''no refund'' state, go through the interview.  Be sure to remove the extra income you added before you file!   If you receive another error for the 0 on the worksheet, delete the 0, leave the field blank, and continue filing your return.   

I (1)added the temporary income to Schedule C - Other income, (2)went through the deferral questions again, and then (3) deleted the income.   No error.       

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes!! I was having the same problem and this solved it! Thanks so much!

this worked for me thank youuuu

Still getting the same error.

I added self employment tax, went through the questions about deferral, put in a certain amount of income. Went to file and final review went through. However, after removing that extra 100k income, error appears.

Even if i don't go through final review after adding 100k income and adding the deferral income and putting 0 to defer, once i remove the self employed income, the error appears again.

@DawnC 

I did to about 3x but if you go back through the whole things again you will see it on tax tools and preview your 1040 and also on delete form after you go back through to recheck everything boom there again. I went to a tax person she printed everything out I asked her why that was there she said it has to be that form you cannot get rid and you shouldn't be you need to put the correct information in that line. And it wasn't 0. 

Exactly! I finally after 8 years went to a tax professional and paid 500 dollars over this problem and your covid family act not being able to efile. H and R block can efile online edition fyi! But u actually went in and had a company do it. They can efile the covid relief family form 7202 they also said the max defferal line 18 has to have input and you can't just delete the form it will get audited or rejected. If audited it will be a big problem. You guys don't calculate right for us. Not happy I went somewhere else but also can't beleive you guys didn't fix this. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies