turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

we've run into an issue connecting with your computer and can't launch turbotax

Just installed Deluxe 2019 + State, bought from Amazon download.

After installing, then updating (1/13/2019 update), then launching turbotax, it comes to an activation screen.

All of the above works fine.  Entering my license, I get 

"we've run into an issue connecting with your computer and can't launch turbotax"

error message -- no retry, just an option to quit. 

Does anyone know what this error message really means, or have a solution?  I've read the help articles saying to reboot your router, turn off virus protection, reset ipconfig,  which I've tried even though these are clearly not the problem (wireshark shows turbotax communicating with the servers just fine).   This is extremely frustrating.  I tried downloading turbotax directly from intuit instead of amazon, uninstalled and reinstalled,  no luck.   

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Okay, since TurboTax support was useless (uninstall turbotax.  try reinstalling it), I eventually figured this out on my own.  Documenting it here for others with Activation problems.

First, check:

C:\Users\[your name]\AppData\Roaming\Intuit\TurboTax\TY19\ErrorLog

I had a
TTWin.A5830904-1.2020-01-17.log
for each time I tried to activate.

It turns out, this file has all the details of the error -- I don't know why TurboTax support doesn't ask for this file!

For me, the error was
ERROR Intuit.Ctg.Map -
   System.Net.WebException: The remote name could not be resolved: 'oauth.platform.intuit.com'

This means the dns server is not resolving the authorization server.

1) Open cmd
2) Type nslookup oauth.platform.intuit.com
I got something like this:
```

Server: chAdmin
Address: 192.168.0.1

DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
Non-authoritative answer:
Name: sw2prdwebbluealb-[social security number removed].us-west-2.elb.amazonaws.com
Addresses: 52.42.151.209
[…]

```
 The timeout is what causes turbotax to barf, even though the request eventually returns an answer.  TurboTax is apparently not doing any sort of retry when the lookup fails.  Apparently my router is misbehaving, or spectrum DNS settings are set to screwy settings.

Anyway, the solution is to set your PC to use a hardcoded DNS.
3) Find a list of your ISP's dns servers, or a public one, like 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1. In cmd type
nslookup oauth.platform.intuit.com 8.8.8.8
(or use your ISP's dns server)
If you don't get the timeout message, then you are good to go.
4) Open control panel, Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network Connections
then select your network adapter, right click Properties.
5) Internet Protocol v4, click Properties
6) under DNS settings, click "Use the following", then enter the DNS server that worked in step 3
7) Launch turbotax, and auth should work now.

Alternatively, if you can change your router's DNS settings, that is a better way to go, but unfortunately my router is stuck using the ISP's bad settings.

View solution in original post

30 Replies

Anyone? Does TurboTax acknowledge this issue and have a planned solution?  

EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

Please use the following link to contact Customer Support for further assistance regarding this matter.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Okay, since TurboTax support was useless (uninstall turbotax.  try reinstalling it), I eventually figured this out on my own.  Documenting it here for others with Activation problems.

First, check:

C:\Users\[your name]\AppData\Roaming\Intuit\TurboTax\TY19\ErrorLog

I had a
TTWin.A5830904-1.2020-01-17.log
for each time I tried to activate.

It turns out, this file has all the details of the error -- I don't know why TurboTax support doesn't ask for this file!

For me, the error was
ERROR Intuit.Ctg.Map -
   System.Net.WebException: The remote name could not be resolved: 'oauth.platform.intuit.com'

This means the dns server is not resolving the authorization server.

1) Open cmd
2) Type nslookup oauth.platform.intuit.com
I got something like this:
```

Server: chAdmin
Address: 192.168.0.1

DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
Non-authoritative answer:
Name: sw2prdwebbluealb-[social security number removed].us-west-2.elb.amazonaws.com
Addresses: 52.42.151.209
[…]

```
 The timeout is what causes turbotax to barf, even though the request eventually returns an answer.  TurboTax is apparently not doing any sort of retry when the lookup fails.  Apparently my router is misbehaving, or spectrum DNS settings are set to screwy settings.

Anyway, the solution is to set your PC to use a hardcoded DNS.
3) Find a list of your ISP's dns servers, or a public one, like 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1. In cmd type
nslookup oauth.platform.intuit.com 8.8.8.8
(or use your ISP's dns server)
If you don't get the timeout message, then you are good to go.
4) Open control panel, Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network Connections
then select your network adapter, right click Properties.
5) Internet Protocol v4, click Properties
6) under DNS settings, click "Use the following", then enter the DNS server that worked in step 3
7) Launch turbotax, and auth should work now.

Alternatively, if you can change your router's DNS settings, that is a better way to go, but unfortunately my router is stuck using the ISP's bad settings.

I'm also on Spectrum. I checked my autoconfig settings and for some reason my UBEE router by default is giving me itself as its own dns server 192.168.1.1 and there is no way to configure it on the router. I manually set the dns to the the one listed ( shows it on the router config page) and boom it works.

TurboTax support gave me a new license key to correct... Called them back when the second key did not work. They didn't know what to do so they said IT would be giving me a call. Guess what... nobody called.

Kudos to jsbain.....  Two phone calls to TTX support over an hour with each one and they could not figure it out.  While on the phone with them, I found this post and was initially scared to mess around with changing my dns server address, but did, and voila, it instantly opened and works.  Amazing!

I absolutely didn't want to use the on-line version and have to re=enter all the stuff I have stored for years.

Thanks again for solving this problem!  Appreciate it.

-Peter

Super awesome work! That fixed the problem. Thank you so much. AWESOME!!! 😀

kreid5

Thanks JSBAIN for your post.  This fixed my problem as well.  Altering away from dynamic IP to static IP on my router for only the Turbotax software key registration step has done the trick.  Anyone else getting this error registering your Turbotax software key needs to read this.   

Thanks again.  I also want to thank the Intuit support person for trying everything else with me.  She was the one that found this resolution to my error message in the Community Chat Room.   I had been working with her for an hour and when i read this it seemed to be a workable solution.   I performed this resolution at a later date without Intuit support on the line.    

jsbain - thank you so much for this post - it was spot on!

Tried changing DNS settings, changing the cmd as in the suggestion. Didn't work. Changed to Gateway ISP DNS settings. Didn't work.

Still can't get activated.

Sorry, didn't work for me.

Neither the static DNS provided by my ISP - AT&T - nor the public 8,.8.8.8. or 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.4.4. worked.

Anyone have  any other suggestions?

arip
Level 3

Thank you, @jsbain clearly TT folks dont know what they are doing.

Do you have any advice for this on apple? My issue has been similar, though reproducible on cellphone data/the app. I am not sure if this is spectrum... 

stanzman
Returning Member

Great post..  I had 6 hours in with Product Care folks that did not even come close to this as being a problem..

Turbo Tax 2020 issue - My Spectrum ISP Router had fixed DNS Servers defined.  So, I added the primary ISP DNS Server IP address to the PC Network Interface Card (I.e. adapter) DNS primary position.  I then used the Google DNS Server IP address (8.8.8.8) in the alternative position.  This fixed the problem.

Intuit is using a different name for the authentication server for 2020.   

were you able to activate the TurboTax?

stanzman
Returning Member

Yes, once I made the setting changes reported..

Manage cookies