Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Okay, since TurboTax support was useless (uninstall turbotax.  try reinstalling it), I eventually figured this out on my own.  Documenting it here for others with Activation problems.

First, check:

C:\Users\[your name]\AppData\Roaming\Intuit\TurboTax\TY19\ErrorLog

I had a
TTWin.A5830904-1.2020-01-17.log
for each time I tried to activate.

It turns out, this file has all the details of the error -- I don't know why TurboTax support doesn't ask for this file!

For me, the error was
ERROR Intuit.Ctg.Map -
   System.Net.WebException: The remote name could not be resolved: 'oauth.platform.intuit.com'

This means the dns server is not resolving the authorization server.

1) Open cmd
2) Type nslookup oauth.platform.intuit.com
I got something like this:
```

Server: chAdmin
Address: 192.168.0.1

DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
Non-authoritative answer:
Name: sw2prdwebbluealb-[social security number removed].us-west-2.elb.amazonaws.com
Addresses: 52.42.151.209
[…]

```
 The timeout is what causes turbotax to barf, even though the request eventually returns an answer.  TurboTax is apparently not doing any sort of retry when the lookup fails.  Apparently my router is misbehaving, or spectrum DNS settings are set to screwy settings.

Anyway, the solution is to set your PC to use a hardcoded DNS.
3) Find a list of your ISP's dns servers, or a public one, like 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1. In cmd type
nslookup oauth.platform.intuit.com 8.8.8.8
(or use your ISP's dns server)
If you don't get the timeout message, then you are good to go.
4) Open control panel, Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network Connections
then select your network adapter, right click Properties.
5) Internet Protocol v4, click Properties
6) under DNS settings, click "Use the following", then enter the DNS server that worked in step 3
7) Launch turbotax, and auth should work now.

Alternatively, if you can change your router's DNS settings, that is a better way to go, but unfortunately my router is stuck using the ISP's bad settings.

View solution in original post