Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Update not working

Installed TurboTax Deluxe 2019 for Windows 10, download edition from Amazon. Update / Updater does not work. I feel I just paid for a piece of junk software. I have tried the manual update but that just freezes during an attempted update, gives a Error 1719. How am I supposed to use TurboTax if it can not be updated??? I am feeling robbed of my money at this point because I surely can not use the software without updates on tax laws, tax tables, etc. Solutions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Update not working

SOLVED (possibly) : I use Windows 10 x64, so on the TurboTax shortcut icon on my computer desktop I right clicked and chose the option to 'Troubleshoot Compatibility', and I chose to run the program as Administrator. That seems to have solved this, as a successful update ensued. Hopefully this is all that was the issue, as frustrating as it was to get to this solution. Perhaps Intuit / TurboTax should add this solution as something for people to try that have this same issue.

View solution in original post

59 Replies

Update not working

Error 1719: Windows Installer service could not be accessed

This error occurs when updating TurboTax.

If you're using Windows 10, try this

1. Right-click on the taskbar and select Task manager.
  2. Look for Intuit update service in the process tab and end process.
  3. Look for MSIexec.exe in the Details tab and end process.
  4. Try installing Turbotax again.

If you're using Windows 7 or later, try one of these

1. Run the Windows System File Checker, then try updating again.
  2. Re-register Windows Installer.
    1. Select Start > Run > and type MSIEXEC /UNREGISTER.
    2. Select OK (it'll look like nothing happened).
    3. Repeat steps 1 and 2, but this time type MSIEXEC /REGSERVER.
    4. Try updating again.
  3. Start the Windows Installer Service.
    1. Select Start > type Services.msc in the search box and press the Enter key.
    2. Scroll down and select Windows Installer.
    3. Select Manual as the Startup type.
    4. Select Start, then OK.
    5. Try updating again.

Update not working

Yeah I had already tried all that. Did not work/help. So frustrating.

Update not working

I was able to install the downloaded TurboTax, and activate it with the license code, it just will not update. And I found that "fix"/"solution" that you suggested even before posting here on the community support and I went through all those steps (I am geek, having programmed computers, websites, been computing for decades, built 20 computers, etc) but they did not solve the problem.

At this point unless a solution comes around within a few days I am going to switch from TurboTax to something else as this is so disappointing that I paid good money for a product that does not function and that can not be returned for a refund.

Update not working

@Thor88 

You should call tech support daytime/weekday hours and let them work thru it with you.  Its possible that the Amazon download is corrupted at their end and Tech folks may be able to give you a separate new download file if they can't figure out what's wrong  (that's up to them ).

They do need to be able to figure out what's happening to you though, in case it's happening, or going to happen to thousands of other folks.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Update not working

I totally agree. Once their support business hours are open I am going to call them.

I also ordered just now the H&R Block Deluxe software on disc, in case this is a corrupted download issue, and because I have become disappointed in the price increases of TurboTax. I have used TurboTax for 20 years I think, and this is really the first such technical issue I have encountered. I want to see if this issue is easily solved, because I have already spent a good two hours of my time on this, maybe 3 hours. If the H&R Block software installs and updates and imports my TurboTax info from last year I might just switch to that give the price difference for the future. But I will call TurboTax support this morning, curious what they suggest; if they have a fix for this I will report back. Like I said, I tried all the usual alleged fixes and I am a geek (C/C++, command line usage, bash, Linux, PC builds, CSS/websites, so if I can not get TurboTax to work then there are going to be others with this issue in deep trouble.

Update not working

SOLVED (possibly) : I use Windows 10 x64, so on the TurboTax shortcut icon on my computer desktop I right clicked and chose the option to 'Troubleshoot Compatibility', and I chose to run the program as Administrator. That seems to have solved this, as a successful update ensued. Hopefully this is all that was the issue, as frustrating as it was to get to this solution. Perhaps Intuit / TurboTax should add this solution as something for people to try that have this same issue.

Update not working

This seems somewhat new, though it occurs for some other situations.  But for others who happen upon this thread...here's some details on how to set it:

.....TTX should only be installed and run as an Administrator..not in some guest account without administrator privileges...but it's hard to know each person's exact setup.

BUT, even if you installed TTX software as an Administrator, sometimes you have to set it again in the <"Properties"<<"Compatibility" tab as follows:

Exit TurboTax....then:

1)  right click TurboTax 2019 icon

2)  Select  … Properties

3)  Select the  Compatibility tab

4) In the "Settings" box … check the box to "Run this program as an administrator"

Yeah, perhaps it needs to be added to this FAQ....where the first set of directions detail how to set to  "Run as administrator" in the compatibility tab:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/troubleshooting/help/troubleshoot-blank-screens-missing-buttons-or...

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Update not working

I actually installed TTX with my normal account which is an admin account. I still had to choose to *run* TTX  with administrator privileges in order to make its updater work correctly. Again, this is on Windows 10 x64, TurboTax Deluxe 2019.

Update not working

Yep..I don't have any idea under what conditions that happens.  That's why included the "BUT" sentence as a part of my instructions above.  (I just high-lighted the "BUT")

Mine works seamlessly OK (so far) on both an MS surface Pro, and HP All-in-one desktop....both 2019 Premier, and 64bit.   Don't know if there might be some quirks if you are using W10-Pro vs W10-Home.

Update not working

Same issues as Thor - spent about 8 hours doing all kinds of stuff recommended here and via MS - started with a "Waiting on the Installer Service...." error. This fixed it immediately and needs to be widely broadcast

Update not working

I am using Windows 10 x64 Home edition.

Update not working

VERY glad I found this thread... right clicking on TurboTax in the start menu (Windows 10 here) and selecting Run As Administrator made it work. However, the fact that I had to search just to find a work around for a product that doesn't function right out of the box is absurd. 

glk1850

Update not working

When I go into the program, the updater comes up and I click on it.  It does not update but goes to the program.  When I am in the program, I click on check updates and it enters the updater but it does not update.

There is a wait feature and that eventually does not automatically update after the wait period.  I end up in the program and nothing has been updated.   Not sure how to get my program updated.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies