Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Unable to get IP PIN number because I don't have any credit card or loans. Do I have to send in paper return and not file online

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

90 Replies
JaimeG

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Unable to get IP PIN number because I don't have any credit card or loans. Do I have to send in paper return and not file online

You can call the IRS at 1-800-908-4490 weekdays from 7:00am to 7:00pm local time (Hawaii and Alaska, use Pacific time) to have your IP PIN reissued by mail. However, this can take up to 21 days.

Note: If you moved in 2017 or you won't be able to file your 2016 taxes by October 15 (after you have requested an extension), you'll need to paper-file your 2016 taxes without your IP PIN. The IRS will review your return to make sure it belongs to you.

How can I obtain an IP number? When I don't have an credit card, or student loan

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

You do not need a credit card or student loan to have an IP Pin.

If you need an IP (Identity Protection) PIN to file your taxes, you can retrieve your IP PIN online. Please click on this link: Get an IP PIN

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes you do. Try it yourself

Im having the same issue. I dont have any credit cards or mortgage loans to verify my identity on the website. and although they sent the pin to an incorrect old address, they wont  reissue the pin so that I can file. 

The last time I filed a paper return, it took 5 months to process. Is there ANY other way to retrieve the pin?

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

No one can retrieve an IP PIN for you. You can use the retrieval tool at the IRS website linked below.   There is also a special IRS phone number shown there for IP PIN assistance. 

https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/retrieve-your-ip-pin

your  paper return will take extra time to process because the IP PIN is missing !!

As far as I know, there's no way to get off the IP PIN list once you get on it.

Isrher

The IRS is not taking phone calls due to Covid-19. What are the options? 

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Have you had to use an IP PIN to file your past year taxes? 

The IRS has eliminated the use of a PIN to e-file your 2019 tax return.  To verify your identity for e-filing will use last year's adjusted gross income (AGI) as your PIN.

You can get a copy of your 2018 tax return, from TurboTax it will have your AGI.  Follow these steps to get a copy of your prior-year tax return. 

Sign in to TurboTax making sure you're using the same TurboTax account (with the same username) as in prior years. 

1. Select Documents from the navigation when it appears.
  2. Use the drop-down menu at the top of the screen to choose the tax year you want and then select Download PDF. 

This link  How do I access a prior year return? has additional information that you may find useful.

If you need an IP PIN to file your taxes and you can:

Hello,

My husband and I have filed jointly for the past several years.  He received an IP PIN in 2018 via a CP01A letter due to a common last name.  I did not (different last name) and never have.  We didn't receive a CP01A letter for 2019 taxes.  We, too, do have have any of the financial items requested on the IRS' G ET IP PIN website.

I tried inputting our 2018 AGI figure in his IP PIN field on TurboTax, and our tax filings were still rejected.  I double-checked the figures, and that AGI number matches our 2018 returns (and nothing was amended since then).

Do I need to enter that AGI number in my IP PIN field, also to make it work, even though I've never used one before?

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

I don't think the AGI would work in the IP PIN field.  Did you try to leave it blank?

Your next step is to contact the IRS.  I suggest you try the local branch.

To find a Local Office:     Local IRS Offices

Your last resort is that you can mail it in. 

You guys must not be up to date with your information turbotax. When you go to the IRS website and try to get your IP PIN online it's says you have to verify your identity with a credit card, student loan, mortgage info and something else but if your like me and don't have any of that stuff and click the button that says you have none of these you get kicked off the site at least that's what happened to me so how are we suppose to get an IP PIN. The number that I keep getting to callis all automated and then hangs up soooo some updates info would be nice if possible

jmoney2

I am having the same exact problem and its very frustrating.

joeyd1993

Same thing here! Help!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies