turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

elizabethripley
Returning Member

TurboTax will not let me edit HSA Contribution amount

I entered my HSA contribution without realizing it was already calculated from my W2. Therefore, I need to go back and edit/delete it so I don't receive a bigger refund than I'm owed. TurboTax will not let me do this. Please advise. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If I understand you correctly, part of your HSA contribution was a payroll deduction that you did with your employer, and that the code W amount in box 12 on the W-2 contained both your employer's contribution and your payroll deduction contribution, but then, on the screen headed "Let's enter your HSA contributions" (see screenshot below), you entered your payroll deductions again on the second line as a "personal" contribution?2017 - Lets Enter Contributions.jpgIf I have any assumption wrong, please tell me so.

What you need to do is to go back to the HSA interview (Federal->Deductions & Credits->Medical->HSA MSA Contributions). Proceed through the interview.  You may see a screen that asks if you made any contributions to your HSA (actually, it means, "did anyone make contributions to your HSA?"); if you see this answer, "yes".

However, depending on your previous input, you may directly see this screen "Let's enter your HSA contributions" (see the screenshot above).

If you previously entered any part of the code W amount on the second line ("personally made"), then get rid of it. I assume that you will probably enter zero here to zero out the previous number. Then you can continue your return.

Try that and see if the excess contribution message doesn't go away. 

elizabethripley
Returning Member

Thank you and yes, your understanding is spot on. My issue seems to be a technical one as the site will not allow me to make the changes you suggested.

When I click 'Edit', I am taken to 'Your HSA Summary' page where it lists the additional deduction. I click 'Edit' on that page and it takes me to the 'Tell us about your health-related accounts...' page. I proceed through the steps, yet I am never brought back to the section where I previously entered the additional personal contributions. I even tried to get there a different way under tax breaks>Medical>Show More>Revisit but I end up on the same route as above.

Is there a way to reset this section?

Well, I am not sure what screen you are looking for, if it is not the one I showed...but one of the "opportunities" with TurboTax's dynamic screen flow is that it can sometimes be a challenge to get back to where you were...

To your new question, yes, you can "reset" by deleting all your HSA data and starting over.  This is the process:

1. make a copy of your W-2(s) (if you don't have the paper copies)

2. delete your W-2(s) (use the garbage can icon next to the W-2(s) on the Income screen

*** Desktop***

3. go to View (at the top), choose Forms, and select the desired form. Note the Delete Form button at the bottom of the screen.

*** Online ***

3. go to Tax Tools (on the left), and navigate to Tools->Delete a form

4. delete form(s) 1099-SA (if one), 8889-T, and 8889-S (if one)

5. go back and re-add your W-2(s), preferably adding them manually

6. go back and redo the entire HSA interview. 

Manage cookies