Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

TurboTax updated, now not responding? Why won't it open?

Similar problem. Latest windows 10 installed, program was running fine yesterday.  An Update appeared today, now it wont start. Just keeps telling me to switch tasks!!!! Like what? I put quite a bit of time inputting data , I dont want to redo. This is very poor. Doesnt anyone check software updates anymore??

Same issue as everyone. Paid for state and when it returned to the program it died. It won't open anymore, but of course it charged me for everything and allowed me to spend days on the return only to die on the submit screen. Anyone?

I got it to work. Submitted as quick as possible. Here is what I did:

I followed the uninstall questions twice - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac/00/26050

The first time I deleted all 2019 items and it still failed. Second time, I deleted all older versions of turbotax as well. I had 2018, etc elements in the library. Anything in the Library related to turbotax went in the trash. Also, be sure to restart your mac before trying to restart the new version of 2019. Install 2019, reboot, open 2019. Hope this helps someone. Good luck.

RQC
Level 2

Please do not insult us.  I am running the latest version of MacOS Catalina on a iMac with 16GB of memory and 1TB hard drive - far exceeding TurboTax minimum requirements.

I will bet the problem with TurboTax hanging (not responding) is that your build for MacOS includes 32-bit objects that have not been updated to 64-bit objects.  Apple has obsoleted 32-bit objects in the Catalina release.

You need to get the TurboTax engineering community involved to solve this, not product support!

sarayamato
Returning Member

Exact same issue. After paying for state tax, and spent hours completing it, I saved it. Today when I want to submit the efile, it first asks to download some updates, afterwards, it freeze. I had to kill it and restart my Mac and then it cannot open again. Turbotax, please fix this issue.

Same scenario with Windows 10, Intel i7-4500U @1.80GHz, RAM16.0G, 64-bit OS

Following an update on 4thAPR2020, my Turbox 2019 Premier collapsed, error message appeared then it won't open again. I spent 3 hours to cleanup, uninstall, download and reinstall, to my surprise it will not open. 

It is frustrating, with paid money and extra time to deal with such issue which should not happen on a serious product.

Please do provide structural instruction.... time is precious.

I am having the exact same problem. State took my money to file my return, but that's when it all went south. Spent hours on phone with Intuit yesterday, nothing resolved. Fortunately saved a pdf so it looks like I'll have to snail mail it in. Any luck figuring this out? I've got a Macbook.

Exact same thing happened to me!! Something is wrong with their software baseline. The Support Tech even sent me out a new version to download. Still no go. Two different calls to two different technicians.....they are totally baffled as well.

RQC
Level 2

Frustrated -

I share your frustration with TurboTax.  I am running TT on an iMac using the latest Catalina MacOS release.  I have no problems with federal return preparation, printing and filing.  My problem is with TT's state return preparation (CA in my case).  Certain operations with my state return results in TT freezing up (not responding in MacOS parlance), requiring me to do a "Force Quit" of the TT application.  Bottom line, I cannot print certain CA forms or the complete CA return without TT freezing up.  

My guess is my problem started when I installed TT 2019 and I still had TT 2018 installed.  I suspect that the state portion of TT 2019 got corrupted by using older objects of TT 2018 in the state install.  I further suspect that this has to do with Apple obfuscating 32-bit objects with their Catalina release and supporting only 64-bit objects.

This is not a hard problem for Intuit QA to investigate.

As for me, I will print out pages from TT of my state return, download CA forms from the CA Franchise Tax Board to enter the contents, and use snail-mail to send in my return.  There is no way I will pay Intuit to file my state return!

Hope this helps.

I purchased Turbotax 2019, I upgraded my home computer to Windows 10.  I installed turbotax and it will not launch, it says it is but then does nothing.  I uninstalled and reinstalled and I am still unable to get it to work.  Anyone had this problem if so, how did you solve it.  I have used turbo tax for 6 plus years and never had an issue?

I am having the same issues since an "update" that I could not opt out of yesterday I am unable to start a new return and am unable to open the return I was 93% done with. The return that was started is now "corrupt" and unable to be opened.  OS is fully up to date on Mac. Tried loading onto Windows 10 PC, says it cannot install the updates, they downloaded so I can not start the taxes on that PC either so,  at this time I am unable to finish my 2019 taxes have been using turbo tax for ore than a decade.  My not saving grace is that I can access 2018 in order to use a different product, but I will be raising cane and getting money back if turbo tax can not fix this issue.

HOW DO I START USING TURBO TAX 2019?

RobertG
Expert Alumni

To start using TurboTax 2019 go to this site: https://turbotax.intuit.com/.

If you have an account, sign in.

If not, create an account.

@ben_puterbaugh

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I purchased Turbotax 2019 from Amazon, downloaded it, dragged it to my application as instructed but it won't open. It says, "you can't open the application TurboTax Delux 2019 because it is not responding. Very frustrating particularly, I only have few days to file income tax before the deadline. I called Amazon and they refunded my money and repurchased it again, problem is still the same. I guess, I'll just have to go to the store and purchase it.

olagarde

MacOS updated as of 10 Jul 2020, TT as of late March 2020.  Had the same problem -- program would start, detect a pending update, and hang.  I observed that the head processes in the execution stack was not consuming cpu cycles or storage bandwidth, or requesting network I/O.  Stdsig's (SIG_HUP) resulted in the stack immediately exiting clean (exit=0) so I re-started it sandboxed (snitch, kvm, wireshark, audit) and found that it was completing what appeared to be a successful upstream connect, get, download, and (storage) write, but that the last storage I/O was closure of the download cachefile.  It never moved the cachefile to a proper filename nor did it attempt to re-open (ie., the "hang" was the program sitting there with no active filehandle on the updated it just successfully downloaded).  Looked like it has trouble either transitioning from the download phase or in starting the apply-update phase of the normal update cycle.

My fix:  disconnect and isolate:

1.  Stop TT (via 'quit' option of taskbar since TT would not open any window or activate any menus other than "Updating", which did nothing).

2.  Set all network interfaces down and non-autostart on next boot.

3.  Clean shutdown, poweroff (this is to prevent a shortcut that Linux and OSX can do on "reboot" depending on your bundle and age, a plain "reboot" is all Windows requires).

4.  Poweron and boot normally.  Verify no networking.

5.  Start TT, it will complain about inability to connect upstream but will then let you proceed.

6.  Main window should now come up.  Re-enable networking and "check for updates" via TT menu as you would normally for a manual update check.

7.  At this point TT behaved normally -- download to cachefile, move to tmpfile, re-open, apply, auto-restart, update installed on restart, main window opened after application of update as per normal ops.

8.  Open previously saved tax file as normal, everything from here out gave no indication of any problem.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies