Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Turbotax says the IRS is still working on the Depreciation and Amortization area (form 4562) for 2021, but their form availability says they are available. I'm stuck.

Hi Coleen,

As Jon PB explained and as I explained above, we are not able to get to the part where you enter this information.  I previously entered all my amoritization information - filling out all the fields ou mention - years ago when I first entered the property into TurboTax.  I have been using TurboTax for 8+ years now with the same rental properties and never had this problem.  I'm not able to update/edit it for this year, and so it doesn't register my depreciation numbers for this year.  To make matters worse, I sold three properties this year and need to enter the sales information, but I can't do so because I can't get past the under construction screen.

Can you please help me?  Can you please find a solution?

Thanks,

Ryan

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Turbotax says the IRS is still working on the Depreciation and Amortization area (form 4562) for 2021, but their form availability says they are available. I'm stuck.

We have tested the section that reports the sale of a rental asset in the diagnostic file provided in this thread and have confirmed the "Under Construction" message as described by several customers. While we don't yet have a solution to this experience, we will forward this to our technical support team with the highest priority. Any progress toward a resolution will be posed in this thread.

@ryan-engen

@conpry

@Jon_PB

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

When will this problem be resolved by Turbo Tax?  It has been months since this problem was discovered.  Tell us what the REAL problem is and fix it or give us a work around!

"Will be forwarded"  after it was identified month ago?

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Please follow the instructions here, so we can speak with you by phone and look into the issue further. @brynvolkman

SGhosh

I am also having the same problem. Spoke to three different agents/ experts at Turbo tax. No one seems to have any clue as to how to resolve this issue.  I am totally lost.

Hi Patricia,

Two points:

1.  Can you provide a time estimate for when this will be fixed?

2.  When you fix it, please note the problem is manifesting in two different circumstances - for properties I'm still renting and ALSO for properties I sold this year.  Please fix for both.

Thanks,

Ryan

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

@ryan-engen

@SGhosh

At this time, we have no estimate for a resolution as we're unable to duplicate the experience.

Do either of you still have TurboTax 2020 installed on your computer? If so, it would be helpful to have a TurboTax ".tax2020" file for testing. It's possible this started with 2020.

You can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information.  If you would like to do this, here are the instructions: 

Please go to Online in the TurboTax header. 

1. Choose Send Tax File to Agent.
  2. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is.  Click Send on this screen and wait for the Token number to appear. 
  3. Reply to this thread with your Token number, plus the operating system you use.  

This diagnostic copy (numbers only; no personal info) of your tax file will allow us to see the same experience you are having. If we are able to determine the cause, we'll reply here and provide you with a resolution. 

I'm confused, above in this thread you said you were able to replicate the experience with the diagnostic file I sent, now you are saying you can't.

I've done it with the online software the last 8+ years, not downloaded onto my computer.  So I don't have any .tax2020 files, just the PDF of my returns.  If you have instructions for how I can access a .tax2020 file through your online system, I can.

Since it appears you are not able to fix this, I think at this point, we need to start exploring Plan Bs.  If you are not having the problem on your side, I'm wondering if perhaps one of your accountants could finish it off with the Live Full Service.  95% of the taxes are done, I just need the depreciation/amoritzation part done for the rental properties + the three that I sold.  Everything else is already entered.  This seems like it would perhaps be the most practical solution since I am not able to finish due to some glitch in your system.

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

@ryan-engen

This issue has been identified by our tech support and will be addressed in a future update. We don't know when that update will be released. But having the focus of the tech team is a positive step toward resolving the issue.

If you wish to be notified of updates, sign up here: Why am I receiving an "under construction" message when updating rental properties or assets? 

In the meantime, if you would like the assistance of a tax pro, please see TurboTax Live with Full Service.

[Edited 3/17/2022 | 5:10 AM PDT to add notification sign-up link]

Forgive me, but it seems you are saying "wait and hope" something happens.  That is not a solution to my problem.  What solutions can you provide?  I proposed one - namely your Live full service people doing it.  Do you have other solutions?  What am I supposed to do here?

I have replied to your most recent message multiple times asking questions about what is the solution you can propose beyond "wait and hope" it somehow gets fixed.  Can you please respond?

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

If you have signed up to be notified when the issue has been resolved, there is nothing more to do.

Since the "under construction" message has been identified with imported assets only, you could try deleting all imported assets and entering the information manually from your prior year depreciation report. You may need to start your entire return from scratch, however, if the "under construction" message reappears. 

I tried that, deleting the whole rental property. All went well until I tried to sell an associated asset, then the "under construction" message indeed reappeared and I could no longer access the whole section. Even if I go to the asset form and remove the sale information, the "under construction" message remains. My taxes are complex. Having to start everything from scratch without being to import last year's return will be a nightmare.

gregbm

I have exactly the same issue with Turbotax Online. Please fix ASAP

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies