Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

JB7777

TurboTax saying a W-2c is on the way?

I've quickly read through Feb/March posts about the same issue with the same suggestions. Am I correct in saying that developers at TurboTax have chosen to NOT correct an issue that scares the heck out of most users and the for months the answer remains "make sure the values are the correct percentages and if so, ignore the message".  Why is TurboTax saying "disregard the notification" instead of just correcting the issue.  I have 4 decades of working in development/quality assurance of software and 2 decades being a TurboTax user and this is the 1st year I've seen the TurboTax software behave oddly (not just the w2-c issue) and the issue not get addressed in a timely fashion.  Is this the "New" turbotax approach moving forward or just an anomaly?

Post was helpful.  I went back and double-checked my w-2 entry, and I had entered &^%$.2 and omitted a zero, where it should have been .20 instead of .2.  Fixed the problem.

This might help some out there.

Well, I get this message in April 2022, and did not get it when I ran through the first time. (Now I am proofing my return before filing.) What is the answer, Turbotax? Should I really expect one, or not?

mmackiernan
Returning Member

My experience was that when several of the fields associated with my W-2 were blank,   I had inserted zero on the associated TurboTax fields instead of leaving the turbo tax fields blank I received the W-2c message;  I knew in my case that my W-2 was identical to the same one from last year and suspected a TurboTax bug.  I was able to call TurboTax support; after three attempts I was able to reach a TurboTax support person who asked me to remove the zeros in these fields; when I left these fields blank, the problem went away.  

Meredith

khwilliamson
Returning Member

I am retired.  I get a W2 for just $200ish because my ex-employer still caries term life insurance on its retirees, and that is taxable as income to me.  And since I don't actually collect any wages from the employer, there's nothing to withhold taxes from, so I owe that money myself.  In previous years, TT added a value to some line in the 1040 for the proper amount, and labelled it "UT" which I found out meant "Uncollected Tax".    This year it is instead included in Schedule 2 where there is an explicit line item for such taxes.

My W2 worksheet has blank entries for these values.  TT tells me I am due a W2C.  I am not, and the tax has been properly computed and included elsewhere.  This is a TT bug in my case

@khwilliamson wrote:

I am retired.  I get a W2 for just $200ish because my ex-employer still caries term life insurance on its retirees, and that is taxable as income to me.  And since I don't actually collect any wages from the employer, there's nothing to withhold taxes from, so I owe that money myself.  In previous years, TT added a value to some line in the 1040 for the proper amount, and labelled it "UT" which I found out meant "Uncollected Tax".    This year it is instead included in Schedule 2 where there is an explicit line item for such taxes.

My W2 worksheet has blank entries for these values.  TT tells me I am due a W2C.  I am not, and the tax has been properly computed and included elsewhere.  This is a TT bug in my case

Disregard the screen in TurboTax which says you should be receiving a Form W-2C.  It is an error in the TurboTax program.  Everyone gets this screen in TurboTax.

martyhammer
Returning Member

I'm getting this message on an initial "trial run" of 2022 taxes using TT2022.   I did not defer any Social Security taxes in 2021 (or ever!).  Same bug, new TT year???

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies