Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Turbotax Premier Stuck at Activation Window

It also is a bug for me in State Download screen and most help screens

A really BIG BUG to ignore

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Were you able to resolve the issue? If not, please provide specific details for the issue you're having as well as the state you are trying to download.

@mikklk99

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I ran through the many resolutions to get past activation. (ridiculous that we need to change scaling and run through 15 screen resolution changes to accomplish the task)

However, same problem on getting state and can't get any help screens so program still not usable... 

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support as your issue would be best resolved with one-on-one support. Please visit the Contact Us page and select your product to get you to the right person.

@miklk99

Tkorte

Hard to believe but this simple change worked on my Dell as well.  Thank you

Update after 1/5/22 Update applied .

The State Program screens seem to be back to Normal and usable.

HOWEVER, the Help screens are still all blank so program is still NOT usable. Changing scaling did get it to display BUT like the activation screen, the input for text like a search would not type. Also, if I minimize and restore, the screen displays but does not accept input.

(Did not try activation screen again since already activated but since same problem, I doubt it was addressed)

I DID Call support just to get it escalated and after screen share and all troubleshooting, they are escalating it and hoping future update fixes it.

I will start NEW topic as Search and Help screens do not display or accept input. (Same problem as activation and other popups)

JB2222

1.When trying to activate turbo tax business 2021, no activation screen appears. This is solved by lowering the resolution of the screen. I had to change mine to 1280 x 960 in order for the box to appear.

2. Unable to click on activation box to enter the key, and the entered key is not displayed. The activation code still works if typed in blind and the activation button is clicked on.

For me with a new Samsung Book-360 Windows 11

Video driver update Fixed all pop-ups

Below is my post about Help screens that would not display and how I fixed it:

Although Samsung said there was no newer drivers available, I went and installed newest driver from Intel Directly and sure enough, (along with todays TTAX update) the help does work and display properly.

You may want to send people there'' with newer Laptops like the Samsung Galaxy Book-360 like I have. (Experienced users only as Samsung wants you to stay with their drivers and Intel warns about switching to the Intel generic)

Anyway, now working for me assuming I can keep using the generic video driver instead of Manufacturers with no other side effects.

skrapes

I concur with miklk99.   I have spent hours reading the various TT posts on solving the activation screen issue via resolution, scaling, and network changes.  For my 9-month-old Lenovo computer, none of these worked. When I used the Lenovo system update tool, it said all of my drivers were up to date.  I assumed that was true, but when I went to the intel site below and downloaded their system analysis tool, it found several newer drivers, included a video driver from just 4 weeks ago.  Installing that newer driver, which was recommended but not required, solved the blank activation screen.  I happened to be in 800x600 mode when I launched TT so I don't know if it now works on my default 1920x1080 laptop resolution.

Thanks for the inspiration to query Intel directly rather than my laptop manufacturer.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Please follow the steps here in our Help Article for troubleshooting a blank activation screen error.  This could be due to a video card driver incompatibility with certain video cards and can be fixed with a video card driver update. To resolve this issue, please try to update your video card drivers to the most recent version.

Another possibility may be related to a scaling problem in Windows Settings.

Follow these steps to change scaling settings in Windows 10. These steps might not be the same for different operating systems but would be similar.

1. Open Windows Settings.
  2. Select System.
  3. Select Display.
  4. Under the Scale and layout section, set it to 100
  5. Close the Display screen.

This is still a problem. I have TurboTax Premier 2021 and TurboTax Business 2021. Both products gave me the same white square window. TurboTax support offered solutions I rejected: 1. Sharing my screen. 2. uninstalling and reinstalling. Next I was told to change my screen resolution from 4k to 800x600. I was able to see the contents of the box. It wanted me to enter the product key. I clicked in the box but focus wasn't set there. I went through the motions of pasting the product key. There was no feedback showing it had been entered. I clicked the button to submit it. No changes could be seen. Reset resolution to 4k, saw a green circle with a checkmark and a message that the product was activated. The fact that support knew to tell me this workaround indicates this is a well-known product, one that has not been fixed. I want Intuit to respect the value of my time more.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

@1120frustrated

Thank you for this valuable feedback.  We are ensuring this will be re-addressed to improve the experience.  

I'm seeing Activation screen, but can't enter anything in.  Cursor under License Code doesn't take inputs.  Just sits there.  "Activate TurboTax" Doesn't work either.

see if this works: 

1) Change your screen resolution to 800 X 600 (REMEMBER what it was before so that you can set it back after you finish).

2) Have your 16 digit license code handy in case you are asked for it. 

3) Launch TurboTax 2020.

4) return the screen resolution back to the original state

Hopefully, it will work.

skrapes

Update your video driver.  When I get the blank activation screen, I go to intel.com (the manufacturer of the video card in my laptop) and a new video driver is available that fixes the issue. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies