Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

turbotax Premier 2021 running very slow

Having the same issue with TT2021 installed locally.  Entering W2 info and tabbing or clicking to the next entry there's a 10-15 second delay where if you start entering data immediately your data entry will be screwed.  Called support and they told me to use a Ethernet connection because the app needs to connect to the modem even though it doesn't need to connect to Intuit's servers.  Obviously support doesn't know what they're talking about.

I've been using this product for as long as it's been available, and this is bad, really bad.  If they don't send out an update within 2 days, I may have to look for a competitor product, there is no way that I'll be able to finish my taxes in 4 week.  Unreal, very poor software testing.  (Still on hold waiting for support.)

JORO1

Java is giving me a headache   how do we get them (turbo tax software kids) to admit the software is way beyond sluggish....sure seems like a quick way to loose customers

All these complaints and total silence from TurboTax. Says they do not have clue on how to fix this. For now, they are relying solely on their marketing and advertising dollars to see them through this, while we are left with software we cannot use nor return. How disappointing!😠

I was told to "try again today" and if the software is still running super-slowly, to call back.  I was told to uninstall/reinstall, run as admin, DEFRAG MY HARD DRIVE (unreal), run windows update, turn off virus control and firewall, nothing works.  I'm running Windows 11.  Is this problem just Windows 11 or is it also a defect on Windows 10?  Any suggestions on another software brand?  I think that I've used TT since 2000, but I need to get this resolved this week.

First off, if you have an SSD drive... never ever defrag it!  Now to the issue, a colleague of mine bought his on Amazon, download version, and doesn't have this issue.  I purchased mine at Costco and have the issue.  Someone else replied in the thread that they purchased at Costco, called Intuit and got them to allow him to download a version, re-installed, and it is now working.  Try that route.   My bigger issue is they are not owning up to this problem and their tech support is abysmal!

Unfortunately, I bought the Amazon version and definitely have this problem. 
Looking to get another download as well. Perhaps it depends when you downloaded? I got in Feb, things should have been resolved by then, have run several updates too. Intuit just slacking on this one... 

adding to list of complaints.  SUPER sluggish. using Premier.  been using for past 8 years.  system is WAY more than adequate to run TurboTax.

And in an unrelated/related note, Intuit is being sued by the FTC:

"TurboTax is bombarding consumers with ads for 'free' tax filing services, and then hitting them with charges when it's time to file," said Samuel Levine, the director of the Bureau of Consumer Protection, in a statement. "We are asking a court to immediately halt this bait-and-switch, and to protect taxpayers at the peak of filing season."

JWY

This is the worst ever for this program. I usually use form view to eliminate a lot of extra time and this seems to help in this situation too. Time to look for another tax software program.

Those of you whose TT for Windows is running slow might want to try some Windows tweaks. I'm running Win10 and made these graphics tweaks and Quicken is definitely faster and maybe TT will be too. The default graphic settings in Win10 disable hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling. Turn that on for sure if you have that option. Also make TT a "high performance" application. If these tweaks help, I'd love to hear about it.

graphicstt.png

tenacity
Returning Member

I was having this problem with the Deluxe version, which I installed from a CD that I purchased at Costco. I did 4 returns prior to March 4 without issue. Around 3/4, an update installed, and afterwards it was taking 30 seconds or longer to move from field to field.

Here's what fixed it for me, hope this helps someone:

Uninstall Turbotax. Download (don't reinstall from CD) the app from your Intuit account - you will need your license to do so. Go to https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/install-turbotax/ , and click on sign in towards the bottom of the page. Install from download and let it update. Mine was still running very slowly at this point and wouldn't update further.  Then I did a manual update from this page: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/updating/help/manually-update-turbotax-for-windows-soft[product ke... .  Ran the manual update, and after that, when the app relaunched, the most current update installed. It's been fine since.

I did try the manual update before I went through the entire uninstall/reinstall process, and it didn't help. It wasn't until I went through all of the steps above that it was running normally again. It's still doing the weird restart after I shut it down, but at least I was able to finish the returns that I had to do.

Good luck.

Thanks,.

But Unfortunately, for some reason intuit does not recognize my license code. I purchased on AMAZON.  (It has recognized previous purchases from amazon som its a bit confusing) . What a complete wast of time TurboTax has been this year. Definitely not returning next year.  We should all get refunds for this crappy software this year, way too many bugs for 21/22 and The "support" has been absolutly terrible!

@RocketJSquirrel thanks for the great gpu tip. Im sure it helps a bit, but the main problem is still there. It's definitely a software issue. SMH

I am having the same issue using Windows 10 Pro on a Dell XPS Desktop PC that is 1 1/2 years old (a very modern PC).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies