Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

turbotax Premier 2021 running very slow

@rttalmadge Is the slow speed mostly when you are inputting values on the W2 step-by-step screens?  If so, that is what many in this thread are also experiencing. We have found that switching to Forms View ONLY for inputting W2 and then switching back to Step-By-Step is a workaround.

Several in this thread have contacted Intuit Support but have not found a resolution.

One person in the thread says that a recent update (possibly the one released on 2/23) has resolved the issue - but I am unable to confirm that myself as that last update refuses to install on my PC.

Yes, the version I have now is [phone number removed]

I believe a patch or update was added Thursday or Friday which improved its response time.

I'm not experiencing delays with this new version.

It censored the version in previous post.

It is

I guess the 0478 is the important part.

@villanpd yep...I'm still on 0461 and the latest update refuses to install on my PC.  So maybe there is hope for those that can get the 0478 version installed.  I looked at the manual update process and it is now installing the 0461 version. Maybe that will update soon to 0478 and I can try that.  Thanks for checking!

I am on 0478 as well, I am done with my taxes, but I might create a new dummy return just to test.

This is horrible. I have the latest updates and it recalculates after every single entry. My taxes are complicated and take long enough without this b---s---. Sorry Intuit and TurboTax, your programmers messed up bad on this version. Unless this is fixed asap, you have lost this 20 plus year customer. Sad, very sad.

I had to go back and fix a mistake on a W-2 I entered... it is WORSE now that I have all my Fed data and two state returns added! 

I finally got the 0478 version installed - I had to uninstall completely and then re-download from Amazon - then let the software update itself on first run.

But, I'm still seeing the issue with W2 entry being super slow.  

For those that are struggling with it - just switch to Forms view (click the Forms button in the upper-right corner) anytime you want to work on a W2.  Make the entries/changes you want and then Close Form and go back to Step-by-Step for the rest of the return.

I have completed one return this way and the performance elsewhere was not bad. I have a few more returns to complete so I'll be in the habit of using Forms view as I go through them.

The two states I completed were fine, just the Fed, and especially the Wages section.

Turbotax Premier CD version (fully updated) is much slower this year. Dropdown menus take a noticeable time to populate, and new fields are slowly created as if I was using an online form (my internet is very slow).  In previous years, Turbotax was relatively snappy.  Also, whenever I quit the program, I cannot restart it until I reboot. I'm getting an error that Turbotax is already running, which I've never seen before. I'm also a very long-time user. This year's edition is a big step down. 

Dennis

Even hitting the backspace to delete an entry is slow!  I hit seven backspaces, wait for the lag, and then watch seven numbers get deleted, one by one. This is terrible!   Something is very, very wrong.

aykornb

0491 - Slow as spit as well. i've been using TT since 1991 - never saw it this bad... unusable

If the video card was the cause, this problem would be occurring throughout the software, not just when we're entering W2s.

No problems except for the W2 entries. I did a lengthy, complicated return, and that was the only problem area. So, I believe this is a software problem, NOT because of old computers, crowded caches, bad video cards, and the other theories.

Agree!  They changed the input form from prior years... I compared with last year's version and the first thing I noticed was the difference in the input form.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies