Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax 2021 Update

I have tried many, many, many times to update my 2021 tax software through the "regular" software method. I approve the update, it says 2 minutes, and NEVER updates. I do the manual update and it works apparently, but when I finish my return, the next step says I need to update my software. Well, I just did it and it asks again and won't let me get ready to e-file or anything. Yes, I know you can't file before the 24th, but it seems like I'm stuck in a Groundhog Day loop. Help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies

TurboTax 2021 Update

Interesting. I had the same experience and eventually solved it by deleting and reinstalling the program. Assuming you saved what you already entered you should not lose any data after reinstalling. 

TurboTax 2021 Update

Thank you for taking the time.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

TurboTax 2021 Update

Please see the following TurboTax FAQs to assist with updating your software and troubleshoot updating issues:

If the above steps do not resolve the issue, please reach out to Customer Support for assistance. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

TurboTax 2021 Update

I am having issues with TT Deluxe updating, I have also tried the manual update which fails as well, I am at a point in my return that the software will not move forward without updating. Anyone have any suggestions?

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

TurboTax 2021 Update

Please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support and request to speak to a tech support agent who can assist with this issue. 

What is the TurboTax phone number?

@jdpharris

smgray1

TurboTax 2021 Update

Spent over an hour on the update problem including having the manual 189mb patch reinstalled.  Final answer was to uninstall then reinstall TurboTax.  Haven't tried it yet but find customer support a bit lacking.  there should be an override feature to avoid this issue.

TurboTax 2021 Update

Uninstall and reinstall worked perfect for me, none of the patches or other fixes worked, it was a quick remove and reinstall and it worked perfect and did not lose anything on my tax file progress

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

TurboTax 2021 Update

We are glad it is working for you now. If you have more questions, please feel free to ask.  

@jdpharris

DBrown645

TurboTax 2021 Update

I was having this same problem yesterday and spent hours on the phone with Turbo Tax rep - who was great and with Norton 360 rep, we could not fix the problem. Then I read something about cleaning you internet cache. Even though I have NOT been using it for a long time…. I uninstall Internet Explore from my computer and it updated. Also if you are using Norton 360 - turn your firewall off. 

MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

TurboTax 2021 Update

We are glad that you were able to resolve this issue. Thank you so much for the update!

@DBrown645

TurboTax 2021 Update

I spent HOURS on the phone yesterday with Customer Support supervisor Kareem based in Atlanta (this was after almost an hour with first-level Customer Support who needed to get clearance to connect me to a higher level).   He said he has had HUNDREDS of such calls and his only fix was a work-around that sets up a new profile on my Windows PC to use it exclusively for TurboTax.  That worked in the sense that I manually updated to R21 and TT did indeed launch.  But I read of another option and it also works (better for me).  When the update installer reports the error, start the Task Manager and then find the Intuit Installer on the list or programs running.  Use End Task and then TT will launch.  Until this is fixed, I think the update patches probably need to be installed manually, then use the simple steps above to bypass the updater because it does not recognize that TT has been updated and will keep trying to do so with the error that prevents TT from launching.

19Lea42
Returning Member

TurboTax 2021 Update

invalid signature for 2021 turbo?

TurboTax 2021 Update

Internet Explorer was retired and went out of support on June 15, 2022.

TurboTax 2021 Update

What source did you use to reinstall the software?  Original CD, download, other?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies