turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

TurboTax 2019 activation lasted one day

Detach any external Hard drive or USB flash that attach to the computer  , that should fix your problem 

I have the same problem for months and I disconnect the external hard drive that attach to my computer and that fix my problem.

Detach any external Hard drive or USB flash that attach to the computer  , that should fix your problem .

Hello, 

This is crazy why do I have to disconnect the USB drives to get the activation to work ?

Now I exhausted all my attempts to activate and and I will need a new activation code next time this happens.

Come on Intuit fix this stupid activation bug, the code should be valid for 5 PC's, but now I can just get one to work and no code for my backup.

How do I get a new activation code from TurboTax to workaround their stupid bug ?

The activation should be tied to physical machines serial numbers not to the number of attempted activations.

This is the most ridiculous activation method used by any serious software company, it is basically a fraud. 

@fg2001gf wrote:

How do I get a new activation code from TurboTax to workaround their stupid bug ?

Did you purchase the product from TurboTax or an authorized reseller? If so, contact Support via the link below.

What is the TurboTax phone number? (intuit.com)

Did you purchase the product from TurboTax or an authorized reseller? If so, contact Support via the link below.

Hi, thanks for the reply, 

I purchased the CD Turbo Tax 2020 Home and Business from Amazon.

This is supposed to allow installation on up to 5 computers, but the activation bug seems to count the attempts of activation rather than the number of computers.

I will contact Turbo Tax support on the phone on Monday and ask for a new code. 

They need to fix this bug, it is really ridiculous.

Programmers from Banana Republic 😎

Thanks, 

2020TTBug.PNG

@fg2001gf - note that the licensing agreement states that it is 5 computers you own, not any 5 computers

note that the licensing agreement states that it is 5 computers you own, not any 5 computers

Hi NCperson, 

Yes, I know it is 5 computers I own, but the mistake is that they are counting the number of attempts to activate instead of counting the computers. This is a ridiculous bug in the activation logic.

Also they are ignoring the reports from users that are clearly indicating that the original bug is caused by the presence of a USB drive or flash USB thumb drive connected to the computer. I verified that it is really the case.

Turbo Tax officially keeps blaming the network connection which has nothing to do with the origin of this bug.

Turbo Tax keeps asking to activate on the same computer that was already previously activated and used successfully and eventually comes up with error 603.

After verifying that the problem was created by the USB drive, I had to get a new replacement activation code from Turbo Tax Support to get over the problem caused by these bugs.

This is just crazy !!!

One more problem that really tells something else about Intuit:

After getting in contact with Turbo Tax support I received an email from the Turbo Tax Help Team to take a survey about the service received, this was mentioned earlier to me by the TT support representative.

They provided a link to the survey in the email.

See below what that link takes me to, even if the email looks legit.

This sure does not inspire much confidence in Intuit and Turbo Tax. !!! 😥

This is showing up with latest MS Edge Chromium Browser Version 87.0.664.66 (Official build) (64-bit) :

TurboTaxSurvayUnsafe.PNG

https://intuitcare.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_1R1AS4hvHt3YctL?Q_DL=STExetzJVd1bVbA_1R1AS4hvHt3Yct...

I have had the same issue, so I called TurboTax technical support. First representative couldn't answer the most basic questions, then kept me on hold for 38 minutes and hung up on me without addressing the issue. Second representative told me that I should call in when I use up my licenses repeated times on the same machine since the software repeatedly keeps asking for activation code each time I run it and they'll issue me a new license code.

Someone at Intuit has gone absolutely nuts! No other software in the world works like this. Noone is available to issue me another license code when I decide to run Turbotax on Sunday at 10 pm so I can't use the software at my convenience. Who wants to go through this hassle every sixth time they want to run the software? What's going to happen 2 years from now when I decide I want to look at my 2020 tax return and the software asks me for an activation code? I bet Intuit won't honor the repeated requests for a new activation code. This bug that they are not addressing makes this product absolute junk!

Yes, I have the same problem. First call to Support I was somehow disconnected from, 2nd call they gave me new activation code but that took over an hour, and I had to share access to my computer (something I am very uncomfortable with). But that was yesterday, today I turned my computer on and I'm getting the same message - enter the activation code....again. So the issue is not that you get to put it on 5 computers, apparently you just get to use the program 5 times....

Reading the messages here, I see this issue has been happening since at least 2019, some are saying that it maybe Malwares causing it. But by now Inuit should know what the problem is by now. 

I disabled both Malwares & Norton 360, and I still get the activation message. I paid for Malwares and Norton 360, and if I remove them completely from my computer, I'm sure it will go against my installs of Norton 360 and I'll probably have to buy a new subscription to Malwares when I want to use that again (not to mention the hassles of re-installing them).

As a retiree, I use Turbo Tax to calculate the tax impact of IRA & 401(k) withdrawal amounts & what I can do with ROTH Conversions, so I use my Turbo Tax year round to do 'what-if' tax planning. With only 5 uses to do my taxes, my son does his taxes on it, and my 'what-if' scenarios, this product is no good to me.

This will be my last year with Turbo Tax after about ~30+ years.

This is a never ending story with Turbo Tax, the problem starts all over again if you update the version of windows.

I have a laptop with Turbo Tax 2020 already activated and registered while running Windows 10 Version 21H1.

When I updated the computer to run Windows 11, Turbo Tax is asking again for the activation code.

This is ridiculous, come next fall, when Windows 11 will be released officially, this stupid saga with the activation of Turbo Tax will start all over again.

Intuit cannot keep track of a digital license for a machine.

Updating the Operating system should not cause this problem. 

I eventually found out to be still the same problem occurring when a USB flash drive is connected to the computer.

As Aug 16, 2021 Turbo Tax still did not fix this bug that was reported several months ago by many users. 

Can they fix this once and for all ?

At least it seems to be unrelated to the Windows 11 upgrade.

Please try the steps in the TurboTax FAQ TurboTax 2019 and TurboTax 2020 requests license activation at every launch to see if it resolves the issue. If they do not, please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support for assistance. 

Also ... as already mentioned in this thread  ... the configuration of your system must be the same ... some have said that having something plugged into the computer makes a difference.  So if you had  something plugged into one of the thumb drive ports when you initially installed the program or if you didn't then remove it. 

All of these issues are not going to go away because the decision maker at Turbotax can deal with the percentage of users disgruntled and keep the software as is. A way to get around it is to get out if the program and restart your computer. 

The problem with the USB flash drive was reported several months ago, but ignored by Turbo Tax.

This is clearly a bug that Turbo Tax should fix once and for all.

Changing the computer configuration should not be causing any of these stupid problems.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies