turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bgasparo

Turbo tax says I don't owe any state tax, Smartasset.com and MD comptroller office says I do. SS income and 401k income is filled in. Why is this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Turbo tax says I don't owe any state tax, Smartasset.com and MD comptroller office says I do. SS income and 401k income is filled in. Why is this?

I would need to have a more detailed description of your issue to be more helpful, however 401-k pension plan distributions are tax exempt in Maryland if you are 65 or over, up to $33,100.

All social security income is tax exempt in Maryland as well.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
bgasparo

Thank you, this might be the answer.

bgasparo

When I quit work I moved a 401K acct into another account which is an IRA.  So both of these accounts are IRAs.  I filled out the section for 1099-R's following all the boxes and check marks and rechecked these several times.  Apparently Maryland does not tax 401K withdrawals but does tax IRA withdrawals.  I've done this for several years and it always showed I owed tax on these accounts, this year it doesn't.  Maryland Comptrollers office says I owe about $1000.  I just don't know why Turbo Tax didn't pick this up this year.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Yes, the IRA does not count. In the federal section, be sure you have it marked as an IRA. Can you see form 502CR to see which line it is going to?

Resident instructions page 7:

Line 10a. PENSION EXCLUSION. You may be able to subtract some of your taxable pension and retirement annuity income. This subtraction applies only if:

a. You were 65 or over or totally disabled, or your spouse was totally disabled, on the last day of the tax year, AND

b. You included on your federal return taxable income received as a pension, annuity or endowment from an “employee retirement system” qualified under Sections 401(a), 403 or 457(b) of the Internal Revenue Code. [A traditional IRA, a Roth IRA, a simplified employee plan (SEP), a Keogh plan, an ineligible deferred compensation plan or foreign retirement income does not qualify.]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies