Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Turbo tax says Form 8938 has not been approved

Per the Forms Availability FAQ, Form 8938 is now supposed to be available for E-file.     However, I am still getting the same error message (Ready Soon) within TurboTax.     I have tried "Check For Updates" within TurboTax, but still no resolution to the problem.   I've completed the forms, just waiting for e-file to become available.

TT you are pushing your luck, read the post we know the forms are readily available to use as mail in filing.

They are yet NOT yet available for e-file. (Not on TT anyway)

I just updated TT twice and they not yet available and im still get annoying message that says available soon.

What about informing anyone who is contemplating lying about foreign assets that they would be braking the law.  Granted they would get away with it if they file a second  amended tax return (with in 3 months ) and then submitted the forms there.

This only way I see to submit the 8938 is when it is part of your main tax return or an amended one.

So my options are to sit and wait or...... print everything and file by mail.

Or .....break the law then when the form  finally become available, file an amended return.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Try to run a manual update of your software to see if that will load the new forms. 

If you continue to have issues please see the link below to contact one of our TurboTax representatives: 

What is the TurboTax phone number?

@Garth_Werner

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

They released the Android/IOS versions, but NOT windows or Mac yet.  So if you downloaded the software on your PC or used a disc, it's not available yet.  Of course, any genius would have released the Windows and Mac form versions first because 99% of people aren't doing their tax returns on their phone. 

Any wonder why it's taken them months to do this?  I worked at tech firms.  It's inexcusable. ZERO understanding of their users.

MichelleLO, your reply is useless.  The problem is not "loading the new forms."  The problem is that Form 8938 hasn't yet been approved by the IRS for efiling.

Assuming you're a TT employee, I'm honestly taken aback that you attempted to answer the question without investigating what the issue really is.  Is anyone at TT responsible for the Form 8938 situation?  If so, why didn't you check with them?  If not, why not?

What erks me more is that they did not step in and tell people not to break the law.

They also did answer my query about the info from my previously filled out on the non working forms being transferred to the new ones.

I suggest that anyone who has already filled  out the 8938 to go to the forms tab and print them to a PDF.

Then they would at least have all the info in hand.

Dont bother doing the manual update thing, another 15 minutes of my time wasted, 

I am beginning to think Taxlady was right along, perhaps all the tax software companies use the same programing code.  Odd that all of them have the same issue..

Dont bother doing the manual update thing, another 15 minutes of my time wasted, 

I am beginning to think Taxlady was right along, perhaps all the tax software companies use the same programing code.  Odd that all of them have the same issue..

Ditto....    Manual update doesn't solve anything.    Looks like they haven't updated their e-file for PC versions at least.

I just tried filling the form with the TT online version and while I am able to "jump to 8938" and enter the information, the form is still not showing in my return.

if using windows we have to wait until the forms get updated to work on windows.

TT do seem to know if the data from the forms you filled out will appear in the new updated ones.

I rec trying TT today (Friday) and see if forms are available yet.

@UKDaniel wrote:

if using windows we have to wait until the forms get updated to work on windows.

TT do seem to know if the data from the forms you filled out will appear in the new updated ones.

I rec trying TT today (Friday) and see if forms are available yet.

Form 8938, Statement of Specified Foreign Financial Assets is available.

If you are using the TurboTax desktop editions installed on your personal computer, you will need to update the software.

Hallelujah!  We are live. Form 8398 is available!

Plus, All info does get transferred into the working forms.

That's one small step for TT, one giant leap for getting my taxes filed.

Update took about 1 minute, all old information from form 8938 transferred into the form.    Currently waiting for a spousal review of the return, and then will e-file.

Thanks to all for the mental-stability support working through this lack-of-form issue that most TT clients don't have to deal with.

It has been a blast, see you all next year. LOL!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies