Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo tax made an error on my return. I need to talk to a Turbo Tax agent.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

74 Replies

You have not indicated which tax year, which tax return - federal or state.  Nor have you indicated what the error is on the return and why you believe it is an error.

melw97801

My 2017 Federal return was kicked back by the irs. I had 55,000 in IRA distribution but Turbo Tax entered it as 44,000 distributed but 11,000  rollover.   I checked and all five 1099R’s were entered correctly as distributions. Where did TurboTax come with some a rollover?

Year 2018

I know it was an error because the Turbo Tax agent I spoke to on the phone said it was an error. Said agent coached me to make an amended return that corrected the error but the IRS is still hounding me for the form they thought was missing. If Turbo Tax had not made the initial error I would not be having this trouble. TurboTax has been 100% unresponsive since the initial contact. Therefore Turbo Tax will never have my business again and I would encourage others to be VERY careful about using TurboTax in the future.

dmertz
Level 15

TurboTax reports a rollover when either the user indicates in follow-up questions that the distribution was rolled over or the code in box 7 of a Form 1099-R indicates a rollover (code G) to or from qualified retirement plan like a 401(k).  There is no other way to cause TurboTax to include the word ROLLOVER on your tax return.

The IRS will often question a code-G rollover unless a receiving IRA issues Form 5498 to report a rollover contribution or the taxpayer provides explanation for a rollover to a qualified retirement plan (since Forms 5498 are only issued by IRA custodians, not by qualified retirement plans administrators).  Some IRA custodians mistakenly use code G for a trustee-to-trustee transfer of a traditional IRA to another traditional IRA, however such trustee-to-trustee transfers are not reportable.  It's also possible for an individual to receive a check for a direct rollover payable to the individual's receiving retirement account but the individual somehow causes the rollover to not be completed.  In this case the Form 1099-R will show code G when, in fact, the individual caused the transaction to be a taxable distribution instead.

melw97801

I got 5 1099R's. Each of them was for $11,000. All 5 had a distribution code of 7 (normal taxable distribution). Instead of showing $55,000 taxable income, TurboTax showed $44,000 as taxable and $11,000 as Rollover. All 5 1099R's were entered the same way. All followup questions for the 1099R's were answered the same way so tell me how TurboTax came up with one of them being a Rollover. I try to do an amended return but I can't get TurboTax to correctly show NO Rollover. What next????

dmertz
Level 15

Since this is an amendment of a 2017 tax return, you are using the CD/downloaded version of TurboTax and you can experiment without saving any modifications.  I suggest deleting each individual Form 1099-R until the rollover indication disappears, indicating which of the Forms 1099-R is causing the trouble, then close the file without saving.  Begin again, then delete and reenter just the offending Form 1099-R.  Should also be able to switch to forms mode and examine lines B1 though B8 of TurboTax's 1099-R forms to see where a rollover is indicated.

In forms mode you can also examine TurboTax's 1099-R Summary to find amounts being reported as nontaxable due to being rolled over.

jwholman1
Returning Member

I have the same issue.  I have been notified by my state that TurboTax has taken a retirement fund rollover and put it on a line indicating it was Military Retirement from the US Armed Forces, my State National Guard or some Railroad Retirement! I have never served in ANY of these!  I need to ask TurboTax why this happened to make sure they fix it and it doesn't happen again and the ability to talk to a real person is simply impossible.  So annoying!

Ok ... so if the IRS caught a mistake and they are correct then agree to their changes & pay your tax bill. 

Now as to the TT error ... file an accuracy claim :  

Any calculation errors on the part of TurboTax are covered under the Accurate Calculation Guarantee.  TurboTax will pay any penalties and/or interest due to a calculation error but not any taxes owed.  The Guarantee does not cover any user entry errors or omissions.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the 100% Accurate Calculation Guarantee - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2566201-what-is-the-turbotax-100-accurate-calculation-guarantee

See this TurboTax support FAQ for submitting a claim - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901269-how-do-i-submit-a-claim-under-the-turbotax-100-accurate-ca...

See this TurboTax support FAQ for documents needed to submit a claim - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901060-what-documents-do-i-need-to-submit-a-claim-under-the-turbo...

The amount of withholding was too much. The error was that on my return the total amount was posted as 22,322. The error was that the amount posted was 4,437. plus 4,437. (one time too much), plus 13,448. for

the total of 22,322. The total should have been 17,885. (4,437 plus 13,448).

IRS caught the error and I have sent them the correct figures. However they are still holding my refund which

should be 5,814. instead of the incorrect figure on my return of 10,251.

JOHN E. BUCHANAN. [social security number removed].  [email address removed].   [phone number removed]

The amount of withholding was too much. The error was that on my return the total amount was posted as 22,322. The error was that the amount posted was 4,437. plus 4,437. (one time too much), plus 13,448. for

the total of 22,322. The total should have been 17,885. (4,437 plus 13,448).

IRS caught the error and I have sent them the correct figures. However they are still holding my refund which

should be 5,814. instead of the incorrect figure on my return of 10,251.

JOHN E. [social security number removed].  [email address removed].   [phone number removed]

2018.  FEDERAL RETURN

I THINK I GAVE YOU EVERYTHING YOU ASKED FOR.

JOHN E. 

How did that withholding get entered twice?  If you entered that W2 twice then the income is also overstated.  And a lot of things can change on your return.  

You will have to call the IRS and ask them what you need to do to get your refund.  Do they want you to mail in an Amended return?

You can open the filed return to see where you made a double entry ... log in and scroll down and choose to amend the return  ... this will allow you access to the data entry screens ... review the entries to determine where the mistake happened.  If you find the error you can correct it then your new return should look like the IRS changes. 

Contact TurboTax support and speak directly with a TurboTax support agent concerning this situation.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for a contact link and hours of operation -https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

wino5200

My 2018 tax return was re-assessed and I had to pay an extra $1050.00 with a $32.00?? penalty.  It had something to do with my Investment income from the Bank of Montreal.  You have access to my 2018 Canada Revenue account.  Please review.  How did this happen and who is responsible to pay the penalty?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies