Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Turbo Tax Deluxe 2021 Won't Install

If you are still having issues filing the return, please follow the instructions here to contact us by phone. @joanjps

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My TT21 installed fine 2 months ago.  I tried to start it today and it just hung.  I waited 10 minutes, but it wasn't even using CPU, disk, or network.  ZERO resource consumption.  So yeah, the update was HUNG.   I killed the process from the task manager, thinking I would just uninstall the whole mess and reinstall a current version from scratch.  Silly me.  Intuit must have seen me coming.  The uninstall hung too.  This was AFTER a fresh reboot.  So I killed it too.  So I downloaded a fresh installer package anyway, and tried to reinstall over the whole mess.  Not surprisingly, that didn't work.  It said I had to finish the installation that was already in progress.  Makes no sense, but there you are.  So exasperated, I just restarted the uninstall.  After an hour it says the time remaining is 1880 minutes.  And, yeah, that number keeps going up; never down.  So, lucky me, I have a spare computer.  It installed just fine there.  Did my taxes and that's that for this year.  But the perpetual uninstall is still running on my main computer.  It will obviously never finish.  So the only way to wipe Intuits corrupted mess from my main computer is to do a scratch OS install.  Yeah, thanks Intuit.  Just what I need to deal with on tax day, and for who knows how long after that.  I never thought I'd discover anything I hate more than doing taxes, but I have; installing, updating, and uninstalling turbo tax are far worse chores than doing taxes.  This software is total [profanity removed], and this is my last year dealing with it.

Edit to add: This post earned me an email with this subject line: "You earned the First Post badge on Community."

That's just [profanity removed] too cute for words.  But it should be awarding a badge for my last post.  Because that's what this post is.

Freaking Brilliant! No idea I would have a problem installing.  Your fix saved me untold hours of angst.  Thanks so much for posting for us lesser software savvy users!

This worked perfectly, you my friend are a saint!

H8taxes2

thank you thank you thank you. I called Amazon (from where I bought it) and were of no help. Same with another retailer. I thought it was a corrupted download. I cannot believe we had to adjust our computer settings for this program to work. Between this and issues with mortgage interest not populating, this software has become garbage

* #1 simplest solution. see the link to the youtube video especially if you are NOT tech savvy.

it will walk you through 1)checkdisk, 2) scandisk, 3) c:drive properties check and last but not least 4)regedit.

once you've run these inorder just like the youtube video, NO MORE TURBO TAX SETUP ISSUES. good luck and pay it forward...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B38hPw4a7I&ab_channel=MDTechVideosInternational

Your points 1, 2, and 3, are "generic" suggestions for anyone who might have questionable hardware.  I keep my hardware in tip-top shape at all times, so that's irrelevant and a waste of time for me and any anyone else who performs regular maintenance.

That leaves regedit.  So editing the windows registry based on some random youtuber on the internet somehow counts as a "simple solution?"  Ha ha.  Yeah, that's quite a sense of humor you've got.  Do you also take legal advise from random yokels on the internet too?  I don't.  But a suggestion to resort to regedit in desperation kind of explains why Turbo Tax is such a buggy mess, doesn't it?

Here's three actual simple solutions:

1) FreeTaxUSA: https://www.freetaxusa.com/

2) H&R Block: https://www.hrblock.com/

3) TaxAct: https://www.taxact.com

Guaranteed no more Turbo Tax setup mess.

Consider my "debt" paid forward 🙂

Let's see how long it takes Intuit to remove the three links to the real solutions, shall we?

I spent 2 hours Friday with Microsoft Windows 11 Technical Support.  The support technician tried many different was with no luck getting it to install.  He did numerous checks of my Windows 11 application and found nothing to prevent the installation.  His final determination is that there is something wrong with the executable.

@GDHendricks I have installed the Premier desktop edition for both tax year 2021 and tax year 2022 from TurboTax on a Windows 11 laptop computer with no issues.

If you purchased the software from TurboTax you can contact support for assistance and see if they will push a new installation file to your download account.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for contacting support - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

This has been nagging at me for months! Glad this worked! I knew it had to be some simple (but hard to find) issue inside of the WIN environment.

Thanks Again!

@tc5858  What worked for you?  

A post here pointed me to the windows environment variables for the “temp, and tmp” directories. 
Changing the path to “C:\Temp for both did the trick! 
Search “won’t install in win 10” and it should populate that thread. I will try to retrieve my exact search query that got me there…

Here is C&P of thread from "Rip in Franklin"

he easiest way is to type "environment" in the search bar, which should bring up "Edit the System Environment Variables" as a match. Clicking on it takes you to the "Advanced" tab of a dialog box titled "System Properties." Near the bottom of the dialog box, click on the pushbutton labeled "Environment Variables...". This brings up a separate dialog box that shows the current values for user environment variables at the top and system variables at the bottom. In the list of user environment variables, you should see both TEMP and TMP, and their current values. Click on each, then click on the "Edit..." pushbutton. This brings up another dialog box in which you can change the "Variable value" to "C:\Temp" (be sure to change the variable value, not the variable name). This folder must, of course, exist for this step to work properly. OK out of all the dialog boxes and retry the install. Environment variable changes take effect immediately, so if this is the only change you make, it's not necessary to reboot. Good luck!

from @Rip in Franklin post...

January 4, 2022 5:19 PM

The easiest way is to type "environment" in the search bar, which should bring up "Edit the System Environment Variables" as a match. Clicking on it takes you to the "Advanced" tab of a dialog box titled "System Properties." Near the bottom of the dialog box, click on the pushbutton labeled "Environment Variables...". This brings up a separate dialog box that shows the current values for user environment variables at the top and system variables at the bottom. In the list of user environment variables, you should see both TEMP and TMP, and their current values. Click on each, then click on the "Edit..." pushbutton. This brings up another dialog box in which you can change the "Variable value" to "C:\Temp" (be sure to change the variable value, not the variable name). This folder must, of course, exist for this step to work properly. OK out of all the dialog boxes and retry the install. Environment variable changes take effect immediately, so if this is the only change you make, it's not necessary to reboot. Good luck!

Thanks for your information, after I posted my problem a TurboTax support person led me through the steps that you described.  I was able to then install 2022 with any problem.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies