Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Turbo Tax Deluxe 2021 Won't Install

I unsubscribed from this necro-thread.  WHY THE **bleep** IS THIS **bleep** ASS COMPANY STILL SPAMMING ME!??!?!?!

@Wayne1957 Click on the the little people icon at the top right of this page.  Click on My Settings.  Click on Subscriptions & Notifications.  Click on Notification Settings.  Select the options for NOT to be notified.

I dealt with this unexpected installation problem and the environmental variables issue last year with Turbotax 2021 Home and Business. (You can find me earlier in this thread.)

I thought this would be a one-time issue that Intuit would promptly correct in next year's software. Well, my assumption was incorrect!

I just purchased Turbotax 2022 Home and Business and it requires the same procedure of renaming the TEMP and TMP variables for the software to successfully install on my Windows 10 PC.

Why can't Intuit fix this??? It boggles the mind!!!

Happily, I knew exactly what to do based on the information provided earlier in this thread. You too can successfully install Turbotax 2022 using this same procedure which should be completely unnecessary if Intuit was a developer of quality software that cared about its customers.

Shame on you, Intuit, for doing nothing about this known issue since 2021!

Thank you Rip in Franklin!

This worked perfectly for me in my 2022 TurboTax Deluxe installation.

Intuit should work this solution into its future installation download routine.  Prior to this, I have had no issues with downloading TurboTax for years using either a CD or download version.  This is a new glitch probably coming from Intuit as the install is required to be in a folder directly on the C drive and not on a TEMP folder located in the user account. 

Several TTAX tech support personnel were unable to address the issue.  

Again, many thanks!  This was a lifesaver!

This worked for me, too! (And the environmental variable change didn't.) Thank you so much. How the heck did you think to try that?

In my case, as part of the environmental variable modification, a temp folder on the c drive must be manually set up for the .exe file located in the user account  to properly extract the program files.

Glad the temp file worked with you!

Boboprf
Returning Member

Just finished successfully installing 2022 from a disk WITHOUT having to make any changes to environment as did last year,  and downloaded tax updates.  So, I don't know why it is working for me but am thankful it is.  OS is up-to-date, and did a series of cleanups, etc. a few weeks ago (having nothing to do with this install) ... so whatever the state my system is in AND/OR TT corrected?? the product it's a mystery.  Glad, though, as it saved time and hassle.

Fortunately, there are several workarounds out there.  As for me, I am only able to speculate that there are some incompatibilities between WIN 11 setups and TTAX which have not been fully developed in the .exe files.  Don’t mind doing the heavy lifting to a certain point.  FYI - Intuit Development Team.

Glad things worked out!

Well, the environmental variable fix *may* have worked. I realized that right about the same time I tried that fix I also uninstalled System Mechanic. The virus checker part of that program wasn't active, but it was memory resident, so maybe that was blocking the installation. I don't know--I'm just stating this to be clear--and I don't much care now, but maybe if you have System Mechanic installed maybe you should check that, too.

Went thru the TTAX installation troubleshooting guide prior to contacting tech support.  Verified the non-existence of all third party utility software and no firewalls or pop-up blockers on this install.  In prior years, TTAX installs would go thru for me even with antivirus/malware/ad blockers installed.  Thanks for the heads up!

I tried all of everything mentioned in your comment, and TT still would not install.  I called TT support and after many hours on the phone it still would not install.

As a last desperate attempt I started the install and walked away from the computer. I had no expectations that it would install. Imagine my surprise when I returned three hours later to discover TT had been installed.  The subsequent update took over an hour but it did finally complete.

So my advice is give it time. I can’t explain why it took so long but it finally completed.

Glad something worked for you. 

I am not familiar with your situation and faced similar processing delays on other applications.  In my case, I followed the manufacturers troubleshooting guidelines and ran utility software which ruled out memory/hard drive full and uninstalled / reinstalled newest operating system.  When this did not work, replaced a 4 year old pc.  Going forward, most software that I use are on subscription and although the software developers support previous versions up to a certain point, starting fresh with improved hardware was the best long term option for me and made my life easier for sure. 

ca924

I had the same problem with the download from Amazon. Called TurboTax support and got nowhere. Found this post by Googling and changing the temp & tmp settings worked like a charm!

@ronaaronson wrote:

The problem was that the System Environment variables TEMP and TMP, which were identically set, specified a directory name that had an embedded space within it and this caused the problem. ...

You could probably also set those variables to use the directory's short name which can be found with 

dir /x

Sample output

03/30/2023  21:19    <DIR>          PROGRA~1     Program Files
03/31/2023  09:06    <DIR>          PROGRA~2     Program Files (x86)

ispeaktax
Returning Member

Thank you for fixing a problem in the Turbotax Desktop CD released end of 2021.

It appears that was solved in the Turbotax Desktop CD for the tax year 2022. However, that begs the question, why wasn't a tech bulletin sent out by the programmer for 2022 who caught this error in the proforma rollover (and fixed it)? The 2021 Desktop CD is still sold with the error.

Does the QC department actually take a cd sample from production and try to load it on a laptop/desktop? If not, what other problems are waiting to be discovered? When I worked for ProSystemFX At least three levels of Management would have been fired for this.

The second question is, Why does it take 18 months for this issue to get to level 3 support? This product is sold to Professional Tax Preparers.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies