Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

KWCT

Turbo Tax Deluxe 2021 Won't Install

It worked after spending so much time with Turbo Tax Support.  Thank you so Much @Rip in Franklin for documenting the steps.  It was a little scary to do because I've never changed an environmental variable before so I tested it on my own computer before doing it to my friend's computer.  I noticed that some of my other apps that store to the temp folder found the new temp folder and all worked well.  Thank you for looking outside of the box for a solution and sharing your knowledge with the rest of us that were scratching our heads.  THANK YOU!

I cannot see a reason to change it back. The change also resolved other problems I encountered, such as an inability to run the Troubleshoot Compatibility tool against executables (this is an option you will see when you right-click on an executable in a File Explorer window).

@MichelleLO are you and your team paying attention to this thread? 

This identical environmental variable problem is a known issue from the Spring of 2020 with TurboTax 2019.  I wonder why Intuit didn't consider it worth solving during the two intervening years?

See this link for the post by JeffSom on April 02, 2020: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/why-won-t-turbo-tax-2019-premier-ins[product key ...

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

Thank you all for wanting to assist other Community members. 

This is your job. Its ridiculous that TT customers have to go out to the public and find their own fix. 

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

@tcamp22

We appreciate your feedback on this matter! 

We will be escalating the suggestions provided to make them more readily available for our customers.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@MichelleLO I have spoken with 5 different TurboTax Support Reps since January 11th for one-on-one support because Home & Business 2021 won't install on our Windows 10 laptop.  2014-2020 have installed previously on same laptop with no issues.

Today was the 5th phone call, this time with Chase.  Chase forwarded the link to this discussion and we plan to try the steps tonight - fingers crossed it works.  

I agree with other comments in this discussion... Intuit needs to get their act together and not release software that is glitchy... it's never been a problem before.  Intuit should be providing solutions that work!  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/turbo-tax-deluxe-2021-won-t-install/00/2389040

@Rip in Franklin Million thanks for finding this solution and sharing it! To all other posters, your shortcuts were also a big help!  FWIW, I came up with the following step-by-step which worked for downloading and installing TurboTax Home & Business 2021 (it should work for other versions as well).  Very thankful this install nightmare is over (for now).

1. Created C:\Temp folder.
  2. In the Windows search bar, type "environment" which should bring up "Edit the System Environment Variables" as a match. 
    • Click on "Edit the System Environment Variables", takes you to the "Advanced" tab of a dialog box titled "System Properties."
    • Near the bottom of the dialog box, click on the pushbutton labeled "Environment Variables...". This brings up a separate dialog box that shows the current values for user environment variables at the top and system variables at the bottom. 
    • In the list of user environment variables, you should see both TEMP and TMP, and their current Values. Click on each, then click on the "Edit..." pushbutton. This brings up another dialog box in which you can change the "Variable value" to "C:\Temp" (be sure to change the "Variable Value", not the variable name). 
    • Click OK out of all the dialog boxes.
  3. Go to http://installturbotax.com/ and logged into Intuit account.
    • Open Downloads tab and download TurboTax 2021.
    • "windows_per_turbotax.exe" installer file is downloaded to C:\Users\<user name>\downloads.
  4. Copied "windows_per_turbotax.exe" from downloads folder to C:\Temp.
  5. In C:\Temp folder, right-click "windows_per_turbotax.exe" file, and click "Run as administrator". 
  6. Follow the installation prompts.
  7. TurboTax is installed successfully!!!! YAY!!!!

Nothing mentioned in this thread or any other thread I have searched is a solution for me.   Install completes but then it has a blank dialog when it should be asking for my license code.   Impossible to run software.  Worthless.   I am returning the product.  

I had failures with H&R Block Business software last year.  The acknowledged the problem but couldn't fix it and I had to hire someone to create my return.  Is TaxAct software any good?    

Rip, 

Is there some way to send you some cookies or tell TurboTax to hire you?  I tried mostly everything including getting a refund on my d/l version on Amazon then ordering the CD hoping that was the issue.  THIS, only THIS fixed it.  I've been a TT user for decades and never had an issue.  Thank you so very very much for your kindness and help.

tidesoft

What a time wasting blood pressure raising fiasco. Nothing worked for me until I changed the temp variables AND turned of all AV apps AND rebooted AND installed new C++ Redistributables AND manually turned off the Intuit Updater in Services. The last step was needed to deal with "Error 1921: "Service 'Intuit Update Service' (IntuitUpdateService) could not be stopped." Finally got it working after an hour time wasting. Sorry for those that have been at it for days.

I feel like I got off easy compared to you -- the variable edits did the trick for me. But I would never have known about that if I had continued to waste time dealing with Intuit.

Me too - I've been using Turbotax for more than a decade now - I am surprised that people have so many issues - you don't have to be a programmer just to install this software! Someone said that if you have the latest version of Windows 10 or 11  you can not install Turbotax - not me, I was able and I've been able to install it without any issues. Yesterday I installed a windows deluxe version. 

I find that some people don't take care of their computers - they assume they are magic! Computers are machines, certain protocols need to be followed for them to run smoothly. My friend who had a problem that I was trying to help; she never restarts her computer, doesn't update her drivers (doesn't have any software to help with this to prevent files from being corrupted & to keep the framework in check)...I used to take care of my toys - my cousins not so much, when they were broken - they would come for my toys...Take care of your stuff folks - no offense....

tidesoft

LMFAO!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies