turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Randy1953

Form 1116 is requesting "detailed explanation" of "other Deduction Statement A." I have completed everything in TurboTax, but don't know what additional info is needed for Line 3A of Form 1116. The query came up during the review of my completed return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

30 Replies

Form 1116 is requesting "detailed explanation" of "other Deduction Statement A." I have completed everything in TurboTax, but don't know what additional info is needed for Line 3A of Form 1116. The query came up during the review of my completed return.

TT wants a description of the deduction for which an amount was entered in  3a.

I have the same question. There is an amount in 3a, but I don't know what it is, why it is there, or how to describe it.

3a will display at least the standard deduction or itemized deductions such as sales taxes, real estate taxes, medical expenses, gifts to charity, etc.

user3224
Returning Member

@rogge1722 

I am also getting the below review error:

=====================

Form 1116 (COPY 1) -- Explanation Stm: Detailed Explanation must be completed. Enter your explanation here to complete the required statement. It must show the other deduction items for line 3B colulm a.
Detailed Explanation: ___________

===========================

If I am taking standard deduction, should the display text in above textbox be:

"Standard Deduction"

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

If that is what the number represents then, yes.  That will explain the deduction.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
paul17

In my case, the number that required explanation for the deduction was self-employed health insurance. Hope this helps.

rogge1722 - you seem to be the only one answering this question, and your answer is so short and circular it provides absolutely no help to answer the question.  Don't be such a cheapskate.  Use a few more words.  Your answer would get a grade of "D" in school.  It's like a lazy student defining a word with the word itself - "a philosopher is someone who does philosopher stuff".  Come on, dude.  Try harder.

paul17

I don't understand, rogge1722 listed a few of the possible items that would be listed on 3a and he or she is correct. You need to determine where the number is coming from. In my case as previously stated, it was self-employed health insurance.

Yes, I suppose I need to determine where the number is coming from, but I didn’t enter the number here, TurboTax did!  Therefore, TurboTax should know where the number came from.  As it turns out, TurboTax entered the standard deduction for me, but didn’t label it, which is what I had to figure out and label as such.  Very confusing for TT to enter a number for you behind the scenes and then ask you to explain what TT did.  At least link the error message back to the walkthrough question that produced the problem.

I'm seeing this in TurboTax home and business 2021 on MacOS.   I looked at the number in line 3B column a but Turbotax has filled in the number and I have no idea where it came from.  Data source via rightclick doesn't work on the Mac.  How do I find out where TurboTax is getting this number so I can write an explanation?

It's generally either the standard deduction line 3 (a) (1) or if you itemize, it's more than likely going to be 10000 in line 3 (a) (5) as you'll likely have max'd out in real estate taxes, state income taxes, etc. The description for this would be something like Remaining itemized deductions.

Found it - it is the amount on 1040 line 10 (adjustments to income).   So description would be "adjustments to income (1040 schedule 1)".   It's not remaining itemized deductions, per tax help charitable deductions are always excluded.

That is definitely not the case with my return. Line 10 is not populated and the value in 3a5 is 10000 which corresponds to the max deduction for Schedule A line 7. This has nothing to do with charitable contributions which is Schedule A line 14.

joe6789

I agree Turbotax is lacking for this question. I was able to figure it out by looking across a few other tax forms. For me, there was a value on Form 1040 that matched the number in question, which referenced that I look at Schedule 1. Turns out my "other deductions" were a sum of a deductible part of self employment tax, SEP IRA contribution, and self employed insurance -- all indicated on Schedule 1. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies