Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

TT-B Won't Save My Return: Unable to Proceed

It appears this issue is still around in 2020 after years of updates!!!! What?!

I have having the same issue with 2020 Home and Business right now. Very buggy install. Had to reboot and try a second time.

Now after doing all my work (5 hours roughly, I seem unable to save my work or e-Files?

ARGHHHHH!

EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

@StoshMan

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with troubleshooting TurboTax for Windows. If you need further assistance, contact customer support here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I can help you if you have a Mac.  I just resolved the problem. I believe it is similar in Windows, but I don't have the steps for you to share.  It is a file access problem. Make sure you have the latest updates to your Turbot Tax.  Close Turbo Tax application completely.

1. Go to your System Preferences on your Mac.

2. Click on Security & Privacy.

3. Cursor down on the left within the popup window to the option, Full Disk Access.

4. On the bottom left of that popup window, click the lock to make changes.

5. If TurboTax 2020 is not listed in the list to the right in the pop up window, you can add it by clicking on the +  

sign, otherwise check the TurboTax 2020 box to allow access to your disk drive.

6. Click the lock to prevent further changes in the bottom left popup window.

7. Exit out and try opening your return and saving it within TurboTax.

Hope this helps.  It did for me.

Thanks. I saw another post about the App Security issue with win10. I temporarily stopped the app write blocking long enough to save PDFs and save the tax file when done and complete. 
This is the only program I have ever installed and used that has had this issue with not being able to write in directories owned by current user? This is a bug and simply needs to be fixed. I was using a desktop version - Home and Business local install. Thanks for the suggestions.

I agree.  It is a bug.  I have never had this problem before either.

I am experiencing the problem for the first time. I cant believe that Intuit hasnt tested this with the latest versions of Windows 10. Hoestly, this is a major problem.

I tried to save it to the DOWNLOADS folder on Windows 10, and Volla - it worked. Why I have no idea. I was working out of an old directory where the previous years taxes were.   

So this is a chicken and egg type of problem where Windows 10 (a Microsoft product) decides that its not going to let TurboTax (an Intuit company) open an write to a new file, for *security* reasons, but TT/Intuit never tested this before?  

Forgot to add: after *saving* the xxxx.tax2020  for the very first time to the Downloads, I could easily use Windows Explorer to copy it over to the Tax folder ( for the first time ) where I intended to store it (and Where Turbo Tax defaulted to ) . However any subsequent attempt to overwrite it had an error. 

That tells me the problem is the the permissions for the Folder, I think one of the previous people mentioned a new Windows 10 Folder security option. 

In the meantime, the workaround seems to be to save it to the Downloads folder and copy it into your working directory when you are finished updating.

BUG - not a feature, but in this case the blamee is Intuit, who didnt test this out and make sure you can save it. 

JBarr, thanks for the correct answer, it worked.  Knowing that exiting the program to enable would mean losing everything I'd entered, I took screenshots of those pages beforehand, and it minimized the pain.  Hopefully next year I'll remember to enable the program before starting the return. 

Trbtx955
Returning Member

unable to save Turbo tax 2021

Trbtx955
Returning Member

I can't save my 2021 tax return

BrandiLO1
Intuit Alumni

Would you mind providing a few more details regarding any error messages you may be receiving when attempting to save your return? You may also provide a screenshot, but please be sure to black out any personal details.

I had the same exact problem trying to save my return and it would give an error saying" File not found". I am using Windows 10. I initially got around this by saving the return in my Downloads folder. Later I found several messages in my Notifications (click on the little square with a half moon in the lower right corner of the screen) area regarding protected folder access violation. There were several entries, one for each time I tried to save my return. I just clicked on the notice to pull up the message, found that TurboTax had been denied access several times, clicked on actions Actions/Allow on Device. PROBLEM SOLVED.

had the same exact problem trying to save my return and it would give an error saying" File not found". I am using Windows 10. I initially got around this by saving the return in my Downloads folder. Later I found several messages in my Notifications (click on the little square with a half moon in the lower right corner of the screen) area regarding protected folder access violation. There were several entries, one for each time I tried to save my return. I just clicked on the notice to pull up the message, found that TurboTax had been denied access several times, clicked on actions Actions/Allow on Device. PROBLEM SOLVED.

I have been using Turbotax for years on the same system and never had this problem before. Used your solution to get my return saved.  As noted it was the protected folder access.  Temped to just turn it off, but this added turbotax to the allowed programs. Thanks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies