Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Trying to install Business 2021, download version for Windows and getting error 2803. Is there a solution for error 2803?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Trying to install Business 2021, download version for Windows and getting error 2803. Is there a solution for error 2803?

I was able to resolve the problem by manually uninstalling TurboTax 2020 Business.
see: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/forcefully-uninstall-and-reinstall-turbotax/00/260...

Rebooted a couple of times.

And then I was able to re-install 2020 Business and successfully install 2021 Business.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Causes of the "error code error 2803"
If you have received this warning on your PC, it means that there was a malfunction in your system operation. "Error code error 2803" is one of the issues that users get as a result of the incorrect or failed installation or uninstallation of software that may have left invalid entries in your system elements, improper system shutdown due to a power failure or another factor, someone with little technical knowledge accidentally deleting a necessary system file or system element entry, as well as a number of other causes.

there are many system repair tools offered on the web. many will mess up your computer.

contact Turbotax support.

Contact Customer Service
5am-5pm Pacific Time (8-8 Eastern) Monday - Friday
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

800-446-8848

Thanks for your response.

I now realized that TurboTax 2020 will no longer run. 
I'm guessing that the 2020 Business installer error has something to do with this.
I recently needed to free up space on my C: drive and moved stuff to another drive.

Apparently, that makes TurboTax unhappy.
I'm not able to repair, uninstall, or reinstall TurboTax Business 2020. The installer just hangs.

I tried changing the registry settings to the new location for 2020. No help.

OK, so I've messed this up.
Ideas to resolve this problem?

I was able to resolve the problem by manually uninstalling TurboTax 2020 Business.
see: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/forcefully-uninstall-and-reinstall-turbotax/00/260...

Rebooted a couple of times.

And then I was able to re-install 2020 Business and successfully install 2021 Business.

Instructions on the product package (purchased from amazon.com) says CD or download.  Instructions for download is WRONG, because the website it refers you too lets you enter the license code but never gives you the link or button to download.  Technical support had to create an "order" then email me a link to download.  That link took me back to the same website where I had been, but now it had the required button that allowed a download...but DURING the first attempt to install the product, I for error code 2803.

Per technical support lady, I had to reboot the computer and try again. (During that time, the telephone call with technical support disconnected.)  After the computer reboot completed, I started the installation again. This time I got a different message that stated another copy of TurboTax existed on the computer, which was FALSE because this 2021 software never completed an installation.  The message had two options:  to "repair or reinstall" or to "uninstall."    I clicked the option to "repair or reinstall" the software, and let the process complete. (I accepted the default path and permission to see usage, just as I had during the first attempt.)

This time the installation completed without an error, and I was able to launch TurboTax Home & Business 2021 then click on "I agree" to accept the terms and conditions.  It required me to enter the license code, which it accepted successfully, and I finally am in the software and ready to enter my name, address, etc.  Mind you, this was the THIRD TIME that the license code had to be entered.  Per the package instructions, I entered it on the website.  Then technical support had to enter it in order to create the 'pseudo-order' to get me the link, and finally during the successful software installation I had to enter the code a third time.

Seems to me the TurboTax software has more problems with incorrect instructions and website discrepancies EVERY YEAR.

mortganeles
Returning Member

I've had similar problems with TurboTax Deluxe 2021.  I haven't called tech support but I've rebooted and tried repair to no avail.  Notice error message 2803 window during install process but installation continued with apparent success.  When I tried to start to use the program, an activation window opened for me to enter the license code but the window was blank.  I kept clicking in the lower right corner where a finger pointer appeared and the empty window appeared with text and a box for me to enter the license code.  I could not enter the license code in the box in that window.  I've never had a problem with a TurboTax installation after many years of use.  I'm getting ready to return the CD to Costco and to buy a different tax program and to give up on TurboTax.

I mean, intuit's response is a complete non-answer.

It's YOUR MSI installer which is failing. You guys need to fix it.

knadsady
Returning Member

I agree 1,000%. I bought the CD from Costco and tried to install it and got the 2803 error and it looked like the installer hung. So I killed it with task manager and decided to retry using the download, thinking that the installer on the CD had a bug in it and that it would be fixed in the installer from the download method. Got the same exact result, same error, same experience.  Uninstalling the 2020 Home and business app will not work for me, as I recently filed an amended return and I want the ability to pull up the 2020 program so I can check things until the IRS processes the amended return and I get the state and local tax returns amended. I have never ever had to uninstall a previous version of Turbotax in order to install the new one. It installs in a different folder. Intuit, you need to fix this right away. Your installer is bad!

mortganeles
Returning Member

I've had the same problem.  After many unsuccessful attempts to install 2021 Deluxe, I uninstalled the program and returned the CD to Costco.  I bought TaxCut on line from Amazon.  This former long time TurboTax user is very disappointed with the mess Intuit has created.

knadsady
Returning Member

Update to my previous reply. I opened a case with intuit support and the tech asked me to launch the installer again. When I executed the installer that time, up popped a "reboot needed" window from the previous installation attempt, so I rebooted my computer and it looks like the installation completed, since I am able to launch the program from the Windows start menu. I have not started to enter any data yet or import my previous tax file, but now it looks like the install was successful.

To summarize what I did and what I saw:

Product it Turbotax Home and Business 2021, and I have 2020 and 2019 versions already installed on my windows 10 computer.

I attempted install from CD purchased at Costco, and got the 2803 error "The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2803."

After acknowledging the error by clicking OK, the installation appeared to hang, so I killed it with task manager.

Then I attempted the installation by going to the download link on Intuit website, entered my license code, and downloaded the installer for Turbotax H+B 2021.

I executed the installer from my download folder, and got the same error, and again the installation appeared to hang. So I started searching the internet for the error and found this community thread. I do not remember seeing any kind of message indicating the installation completed after the error 2803 was dismissed.

Next, I was on the phone with support, and she asked me to launch the installer again.

When I launched the installer from my download folder, I got a prompt to reboot my computer, and after clicking Ok to reboot, I was able to launch the 2021 program. I also checked launching 2020 and that seems to work fine too.

So maybe, this error 2803 is just cosmetic and the installation still completes? It is definitely confusing. We shall see if I can complete a return using the program now.

Hope this helps until Intuit fixes this confusing issue.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies