Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Daintyme

To protect you from identity theft, your tax return is currently being reviewed. To help us process your return more quickly, verify your identity and tax return inform

You can’t verify with the tool unless you receive the letter. I received the same message and after re-reading it states that you can’t verify with the tool unless you receive the letter. I am just as confused. Tried to verify myself over phone with irs but they said they won’t be able to see anything until atleast 21 days after I filed.

Daintyme

To protect you from identity theft, your tax return is currently being reviewed. To help us process your return more quickly, verify your identity and tax return inform

You can’t verify with the tool unless you receive the letter. I received the same message and after re-reading it states that you can’t verify with the tool unless you receive the letter. I am just as confused. Tried to verify myself over phone with irs but they said they won’t be able to see anything until atleast 21 days after I filed..

This article really is not helpful to those of us experiencing this issue. None of us have received a letter requesting verification from the IRS. All of us are getting this message simply by checking the status of our refund. Going through the ID.me process does absolutely nothing to resolve this issue. It would be great if TurboTax could try to use its resources to confirm exactly what is going on in this situation and provide useful advice and direction for next steps instead of a link to an article that is irrelevant.

Timoni

Yeah the only thing I've seen from Turbotax on this is them offering direct assistance if you pay them. Go figure. Pretty disappointed. I've been using turbotax for over 7 years and after this disaster I will never use their services again.

It's not just turbo tax. Other filing systems have this issue right now. 

You cannot verify with ID.me if you haven’t received the letter. The letters were not sent to most because it is in fact a system glitch that appears to only be with Turbo Tax early filers. When I logged into my irs.gov account I had an alert that I could have them “resend” the letter if I didn’t receive it, which I did about a week or more ago and I still have not gotten it. I was however sent a verification letter from my state and should receive that refund any day now. I have not attempted to call the IRS because of all the unsuccessful attempts from others but it’s coming up on a month since I filed so I’m hoping someone can give me answers. 

I didn't file with turbo tax this year, and I get the error. The irs needs to verify your identity. When you receive the letter, it will have a code that needs to be entered on the irs site and will proceed to finalize the return. I am still waiting on the letter l. Its been close to 2 weeks. We just gotta wait..

You might not even get a letter. Once an agent reviews the return… they might find there’s no issue and process as normal. For some reason our returns got flagged by the initial automated system review. Now they go to a human for further review. 

Me too I’ve been using them for over 7 years.   It’s a little disappointing when you do the right things and is not even your mistake 

Would be good if i could use TurboTax since I filed  with them to verify my ID like somehow video chat to see face, email copy of ID and whatever else is needed. Would be nice!

Jbluhm

Got the same messege, called today. They told me expect a letter 21 days to verify ID and expect a refund 9 weeks after ID is verified.

I had this notification on mine. I get informed on  what mail I have getting delivered, it looks like I'm getting a letter from the IRS today.  Anyone else get one yet in regards to this? I'm feeling a little bit nervous haha

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

The IRS seems to be putting this new step into the process for many people to help cut down on Tax refund fraud.  It is not something you have done, or are being singled out for.  The letters for many people were delayed which is holding up a lot of refunds. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I received a letter from the IRS and it turns out it was just a letter stating that I logged into my account on the IRS website, notifying me in case. Now when I go to the I.D part of the website, it's just telling me that message it seems other people are getting:

"We are not able to provide assistance to you via the identity verification tool.

If you've already filed, processing usually takes 21 days (electronic returns) or six weeks (paper returns)."

This is so frustrating. 

Jcool

Has this issue been resolved for anyone? I’m going on 5 weeks sense I e-filed

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies