turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

This return has certain forms that can't be e-filed

I can't get Turbo Tax to e-file.  The final review doesn't show any errors. 

All of the program updates are up-to-date.

It says "This return has certain forms that can't be e-filed, usually because of tax regulations, so you'll need to file by mail. For more details, select the Review tab, above, and continue through Final Review. To file by mail, select the file tab, continue and select File by Mail."

I don't want to wait for mailing it in.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

what forms?  certain forms for your return may not yet be final so until they are you can't e-file. Turbotax is waiting for IRS approval so there's nothing it can do at this point. mailing your return with invalid forms may hold up your refund even more. The IRS won't open e-filing until 1/29. Submitting them now and they will just sit on Turbotax servers until that date so you can wait.

since this link for forms availability

https://form-status.app.intuit.com/tax-forms-availability/formsavailability?albRedirect=true&product... 

for the agency box select US or state. 

View solution in original post

SuziM

A software update is now available to resolve this issue. 

1. Click on Online at the top of the desktop program screen
  2. Click on Check for Updates

View solution in original post

503 Replies

what forms?  certain forms for your return may not yet be final so until they are you can't e-file. Turbotax is waiting for IRS approval so there's nothing it can do at this point. mailing your return with invalid forms may hold up your refund even more. The IRS won't open e-filing until 1/29. Submitting them now and they will just sit on Turbotax servers until that date so you can wait.

since this link for forms availability

https://form-status.app.intuit.com/tax-forms-availability/formsavailability?albRedirect=true&product... 

for the agency box select US or state. 

Thank you for your reply! I had no idea that e-filing wasn't even open until 01/29. It would've been helpful for TT to indicate that on the program. It doesn't even give any indication of which forms.  :(

I've been using TT for years now. After this year, I may rethink that decision. I don't know if they hired new programmers and got rid of the people that knew what they were doing or if all the good programmers left but this year sucks. If TT doesn't get it together, they will lose a lot of business next year.

I am getting the same error/message. I called support, they could not figure it out either.  I have never mailed my returns (well at least in the last 15 years). It does not tell what forms.  Very frustrating 

I am having the same issue.  I was just going to post this same question.  It is very frustrating.  I originally read that I could e-file on 1/17/2024, I have been trying to submit it since then.  I guess I will wait until 1/29.  It really would have been nice to know this.  

Chiming in on the same issue.  The frustration part is that it doesn't identify the forms.  The system is stating that there are no errors. I have been using this program or more than 15 plus years. I will rethink using this program next year if it does not get better.

I agree. It doesn't say which forms are the problem, just to click the link above for more detail of which there is no detail. Once the end of the month passes, I'll try to submit the same tax return and see what happens and I'll post back here with an update. 

I having the same problem. I spoke to a supervisor (Adam) yesterday who was also having problems. He used Glance to review my return. he took a copy to send to Tech. He said he would call me at 4:00 today. He also told me that once the problem is resolved I can E-File.

I am also getting a message that I have 1 problem even though there are no errors.

Wait to file until the 29th and see if it's fixed. I saw somewhere either IRS isn't  accepting before then or TT won't allow you to submit until then.

I think the problem is with Self Employed business in my tax, I have no w2 forms, only 1099s from my employers and got this message that you mentioned here. In the beginning TT said was the QBI forms were not ready, then update came in 1/18 and QBI forms updated and at the end for e-file my taxes I cant, TT will not say which form is not ready but I am guessing TT Devs can not figure it out, and the update was incomplete ish.

I did e-filed already my sister's taxes, was only one W-2 and got accepted by The IRS already, IRS said 1/29 to start accepting taxes but they are accepting them already.

Same with my brother, I did his taxes, 2 W2s, from School district and from community college and IRS accepted his taxes already

I did not see the "message" ( This return has certain forms that can't be e-filed....) when I did e-file my sister and my brother's

I hope this help

Thanks

The issue is with Schedule C, if you add one single letter in the details of your business or name you wont be able to efile anymore only file via paper. 

Still the same issue - tried to file again this morning 

Please explain more 

I am VERY displeased by this 'notice' prohibiting me from eFiling.  Just ridiculous without any explanation!  I'll wait until the 29th and try.   It had better work!  I've been using TurboTax for many years and it appears time to re-assess.

Glad others posted - more help than Intuit!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies