turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If Form 1040, 'PrimaryClaimAsDependentInd' is not checked, then the Primary SSN must not be the same as a Dependent SSN on another return. what does this mean?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If Form 1040, 'PrimaryClaimAsDependentInd' is not checked, then the Primary SSN must not be the same as a Dependent SSN on another return. what does this mean?

This means that someone else has claimed you on their return as a dependent. (or claimed whoever is getting that error message)  So, if your parents or someone else have claimed you, you will need to go back and edit your information in the My Info tab to edit it and click that someone else can and has claimed you as a dependent on their return.

If no one else can claim you then you will need to double check your social security number is entered correctly.  If it is you will need to print and mail your return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

16 Replies

This means that someone else has claimed you on their return as a dependent. (or claimed whoever is getting that error message)  So, if your parents or someone else have claimed you, you will need to go back and edit your information in the My Info tab to edit it and click that someone else can and has claimed you as a dependent on their return.

If no one else can claim you then you will need to double check your social security number is entered correctly.  If it is you will need to print and mail your return. 

Thank you so much!! that helped alot. But where can i go to edit it? where is the my info tab?

After you log into your return ALL the way (you may have to click fix it now) it is in the black on the left right above federal

what if someone has claimed you by mistake and should not have and you don't file a return because you are on SSI, then how do you fix my info?

@deemuri wrote:

what if someone has claimed you by mistake and should not have and you don't file a return because you are on SSI, then how do you fix my info?

The person who claimed you as a dependent by mistake must amend their tax return that was filed, removing you as a dependent on the amended tax return.

There is nothing you can do for the 2019 return now if you are looking to get the stimulus payment ...  your only option will be to file a 2020 return next January to get the missed stimulus credit ...  

If you qualify you can use one of the 10 IRS FREE FILE options that will be available mid January ... for 2020 your AGI must be $72K or less ...  https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

say my son amends his return stating he made an error and should not have claimed me would I get a credit and receive the stimulus i should have received to begin with.  also what would my son have to do since he would have got one anyway and claiming me did not give him any more than he would have received. thank you for answering

Im confused since I just went on SSI early retirement I don't file a return I was told so you are saying to get it I should file a return this coming January?

@deemuri wrote:

say my son amends his return stating he made an error and should not have claimed me would I get a credit and receive the stimulus i should have received to begin with.  also what would my son have to do since he would have got one anyway and claiming me did not give him any more than he would have received. thank you for answering

Removing you as a dependent on his tax return will also remove the Other Dependent Tax Credit of $500 he received and will have to pay back to the IRS.

His stimulus payment would not be affected by removing you as a dependent on his tax return.

You will have to file a 2020 federal tax return in calendar year 2021 to get the stimulus payment you should have received in calendar year 2020.

I asked him about this since I never received a stim and he told me he thought because we live together he was supposed to claim me but added it didn't help him to get more on his refund.  is it possible he didn't get an extra 500 on his return? therefore would not owe and have to pay back.  he does not pay for anything in my behalf if anything I'm always lending him money for gas and misc, but he is not my dependant as i am not his.  we are both poor and struggle throughout the year. he also pays child support but told me he didn't get anything more even if he claimed me. can this be true?

@deemuri wrote:

I asked him about this since I never received a stim and he told me he thought because we live together he was supposed to claim me but added it didn't help him to get more on his refund.  is it possible he didn't get an extra 500 on his return? therefore would not owe and have to pay back.  he does not pay for anything in my behalf if anything I'm always lending him money for gas and misc, but he is not my dependant as i am not his.  we are both poor and struggle throughout the year. he also pays child support but told me he didn't get anything more even if he claimed me. can this be true?

The only way to know if he has to pay anything back to the IRS is for him to complete the amended tax return, Form 1040-X, for tax year 2019 and remove you as a dependent.

If he does not remove you as a dependent on an amended tax return then you cannot claim any stimulus payment on a 2020 tax return since dependents are not eligible for the stimulus.

@deemuri 

There is NOTHING you can do now to get the stimulus check EXCEPT wait and file a return next January ... don't even bother having him amend anything as it will do nothing for either of you.

they are probably

going to issue another check, will I miss out on that too?

Nolly
Returning Member

What if you don't know that person that claims you as a dependent. Is there a way to stop this person or not? Please let me know.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies