Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to report refunded Ebay transactions when filing as self-employed?

I sold a few  high-price items on Ebay last year, and now I'm having to file as self-employed (schedule C). Needless to say a 1099k form is being filed also, but it doesn't reflect the fact that about 30% of my transactions were refunded (the item was returned). I'm not able to find any place in income expenses to report these refunds. How should I approach this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

This income and returned income is reported in the Self-employed income and expenses section in TurboTax Online.  Once you have entered the 1099-K income, you will see an option for Rebates/Refunds paid.  

Type    sch c

into the search bar.  Hit enter and then use the Jump to sch c link to get to the Self-Employment Summary.  If your business is set up already, click Edit next to your business.  If it isn't set up, go through the business set-up screens so your business appears in the list.  

Click on Add Income for this Work.  Click on Other Self-employed Income and enter the amount from the 1099-K.  Then click on Add Income from this Work again.  This time, you will see the option for Rebates/Refunds paid.  

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Carl
Level 15

There's a spot called "Income You Gave Back" in the Business Income section.
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

This income and returned income is reported in the Self-employed income and expenses section in TurboTax Online.  Once you have entered the 1099-K income, you will see an option for Rebates/Refunds paid.  

Type    sch c

into the search bar.  Hit enter and then use the Jump to sch c link to get to the Self-Employment Summary.  If your business is set up already, click Edit next to your business.  If it isn't set up, go through the business set-up screens so your business appears in the list.  

Click on Add Income for this Work.  Click on Other Self-employed Income and enter the amount from the 1099-K.  Then click on Add Income from this Work again.  This time, you will see the option for Rebates/Refunds paid.  

How do I entry refunds if I did not receive a 1099k. I put the gross on the cash / checks and named it eBay sales, is this correct?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Yes, you may label the income as needed to clarify your reporting.  Click Add another row under Income in your self-employment activity.

Self-employment income may be reported whether or not you received an IRS form 1099-K.

Refunds may be reported in Other miscellaneous expenses.  Select the expense category under Add expenses for this work at the screen Here's your info.

@jon90 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your reply?

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Yes, that would be the best spot to enter the refund, Part I, Line 2 Returns and allowances.

Yes, but how to I get it on line 2, when I did not get a 1099k?

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Add an income item for your business.  On the page titled "Income for your XXX work" You'll see "Common Income" items and "Less common Income" items.  In the "Less Common" section you will see "Refunds and Rebates (income returned to customers)."  Select that and enter the amount.

Thank you so much.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies