turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

btharp33

I don't understand what UI?WF/SWF , DI and FLI are in box 14 and what do I do with them?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
HollyP
Employee Tax Expert

I don't understand what UI?WF/SWF , DI and FLI are in box 14 and what do I do with them?

These abbreviations are common on New Jersey W-2s in box 14:

• The mandatory contributions for New Jersey Unemployment Insurance/Workforce Development/Supplemental Workforce Funds (UI/WF/SWF), 
  • Disability Insurance (DI) and 
  • Family Leave Insurance (FLI)

See the FAQ below for instructions on entering box 14 from your W-2. https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301932

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm working and residing in Texas. My employer wrongly tagged me to NJ and deducted taxes for UI, DI & FLI for 2019. Can I get a refund of these along with the state tax refund? or Is there a different procedure to get this refund?

Hi - Can someone pls reply to my question? Appreciate your help

RobertG
Expert Alumni

You need to contact your employer to get a refund of those payroll deductions.

Your employer filed the payroll returns that sent that money to NJ, and only your employer can get the refund from NJ.

If your employer wrongly withheld money from your paycheck, they need to pay you back.

Please help me . On my W2 form it says for BOX 14

NJ D1 -59.71

NJ UI/WF/SWF -97.43

I confirmed 3 times with my employer the value is correct and it is negative.

How do I input this using Turbotax? It does not let me enter a negative amount please help me.

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

If you have verified these items with your employer, then you should leave these items blank. Box 14 entries on your W-2s are mostly informational, so you can leave this box blank and it will not effect your return. 

If your employer is doing their own payroll input, then it is likely something on their end is set up incorrectly in their program. 

Box 14 entries should technically not be a negative number since they are withheld from your pay. 

• Unemployment insurance (UI)/workforce development partnership fund (WF)/supplemental workforce fund (SWF) contributions should be a positive number on your W-2 in Box 14.
  • Disability insurance (DI) contributions should also be a positive number in Box 14. 

@mrabbani1740

ariainvictus
Returning Member

So what should I put in for box 14?

my w2 says

It says fli 7

ui/wf/swf 18

di   11

but I only have one quantity amount to put in the box 14 for turbotax

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

You can add lines for box 14 items.  Click the "Add another Box 14 item" hyperlink.

The categories are NJ FLI TAX  then NJ UI/WF/SWF TAX and then NJ SDI TAX with their corresponding amounts from your W2. 

These are all informational items in box 14 so they will not affect your tax return calculations.

Lou42

How do I enter D1 in w-2

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

NJ DI is New Jersey disability insurance. Enter the amount on Box 14 of the W-2 screen in TurboTax as New Jersey SDI tax.

@Lou42 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies