turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rzmd335

The irs left me a message on my phone they are filing a law suit against me. Is there any way to find out what this about. I filed my taxes and there was no problem

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Bees
Level 7

The irs left me a message on my phone they are filing a law suit against me. Is there any way to find out what this about. I filed my taxes and there was no problem

That is a scam phone call. Do not respond.  You will never receive a call from the IRS.

https://www.irs.gov/uac/IRS-Urges-Public-to-Stay-Alert-for-Scam-Phone-Calls

Disclaimer: Not a tax professional. Information gathered from internet links. Anything dated in June 2019 was posted in prior years and is before the 2019 limits and changes.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
Bees
Level 7

That is a scam phone call. Do not respond.  You will never receive a call from the IRS.

https://www.irs.gov/uac/IRS-Urges-Public-to-Stay-Alert-for-Scam-Phone-Calls

Disclaimer: Not a tax professional. Information gathered from internet links. Anything dated in June 2019 was posted in prior years and is before the 2019 limits and changes.

Thankyou

Everyone is getting those calls.  My relatives have all gotten called.  The IRS only mails letters and does not call.

I recently began receiving robo phone calls from unofficial and out of town phone numbers telling me the IRS is filing a lawsuit against me. I called back the 814 number as the 937number was no longer in service and a person with an indian asian, middle eastern accent answered saying he is based out of IRS Head Quarters in Washington DC. I asked for his information and he provided #1 a David Roy badge number 80142. After I asked "how can i verify this information? " he immediately hung up the phone.  I called back and then he provided Steve Allen badge #08421. Again I asked "how can i verify this information? " and again he hung up. i called back a third time because and the number is now disconnected. Beware everyone. (sorry folks i wanted to post the phone numbers but turbo tax wont let me)

I recently began receiving robo phone calls from unofficial and out of town phone numbers telling me the IRS is filing a lawsuit against me. I called back the 814 number as the 937number was no longer in service and a person with an indian asian, middle eastern accent answered saying he is based out of IRS Head Quarters in Washington DC. I asked for his information and he provided #1 a David Roy badge number 80142. After I asked "how can i verify this information? " he immediately hung up the phone.  I called back and then he provided Steve Allen badge #08421. Again I asked "how can i verify this information? " and again he hung up. i called back a third time because and the number is now disconnected. Beware everyone. (sorry folks i wanted to post the phone numbers but turbo tax wont let me)

Do NOT call them back. It is a scam. Do not fall for it no matter what names or badge numbers they provide.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Issue Number:    IR-2017-112

Inside This Issue

IRS Cautions Taxpayers to Watch for Summertime Scams

IRS YouTube Videos: Tax Scams: English  | Spanish  | ASL
Private Collection of Overdue Taxes: English  | Spanish

IR-2017-112, June 26, 2017
WASHINGTON – The Internal Revenue Service today issued a warning that tax-related scams continue across the nation even though the tax filing season has ended for most taxpayers. People should remain on alert to new and emerging schemes involving the tax system that continue to claim victims.

“We continue to urge people to watch out for new and evolving schemes this summer,” said IRS Commissioner John Koskinen. “Many of these are variations of a theme, involving fictitious tax bills and demands to pay by purchasing and transferring information involving a gift card or iTunes card. Taxpayers can avoid these and other tricky financial scams by taking a few minutes to review the tell-tale signs of these schemes.”

EFTPS Scam
A new scam which is linked to the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS) has been reported nationwide. In this ruse, con artists call to demand immediate tax payment. The caller claims to be from the IRS and says that two certified letters mailed to the taxpayer were returned as undeliverable. The scammer then threatens arrest if a payment is not made immediately by a specific prepaid debit card. Victims are told that the debit card is linked to the EFTPS when, in reality, it is controlled entirely by the scammer. Victims are warned not to talk to their tax preparer, attorney or the local IRS office until after the payment is made.

“Robo-call” Messages

The IRS does not call and leave prerecorded, urgent messages asking for a call back. In this tactic, scammers tell victims that if they do not call back, a warrant will be issued for their arrest. Those who do respond are told they must make immediate payment either by a specific prepaid debit card or by wire transfer.

Private Debt Collection Scams

The IRS recently began sending letters to a relatively small group of taxpayers whose overdue federal tax accounts are being assigned to one of four private-sector collection agencies. Taxpayers should be on the lookout for scammers posing as private collection firms. The IRS-authorized firms will only be calling about a tax debt the person has had – and has been aware of – for years. The IRS would have previously contacted taxpayers about their tax debt.

Scams Targeting People with Limited English Proficiency

Taxpayers with limited English proficiency have been recent targets of phone scams and email phishing schemes that continue to occur across the country. Con artists often approach victims in their native language, threaten them with deportation, police arrest and license revocation among other things. They tell their victims they owe the IRS money and must pay it promptly through a preloaded debit card, gift card or wire transfer. They may also leave “urgent” callback requests through phone “robo-calls” or via a phishing email.

Tell Tale Signs of a Scam:

The IRS (and its authorized private collection agencies) will never:
Call to demand immediate payment using a specific payment method such as a prepaid debit card, gift card or wire transfer. The IRS does not use these methods for tax payments. The IRS will usually first mail a bill to any taxpayer who owes taxes. All tax payments should only be made payable to the U.S. Treasury and checks should never be made payable to third parties.
Threaten to immediately bring in local police or other law-enforcement groups to have the taxpayer arrested for not paying.
Demand that taxes be paid without giving the taxpayer the opportunity to question or appeal the amount owed.
Ask for credit or debit card numbers over the phone.

For anyone who doesn’t owe taxes and has no reason to think they do:
Do not give out any information. Hang up immediately.
Contact the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration to report the call. Use their IRS Impersonation Scam Reporting web page. Alternatively, call 800-366-4484.
Report it to the Federal Trade Commission. Use the FTC Complaint Assistant on FTC.gov. Please add "IRS Telephone Scam" in the notes.

For anyone who owes tax or thinks they do:
View tax account information online at IRS.gov to see the actual amount you owe. Then review payment options.
Call the number on the billing notice, or
Call the IRS at 800-829-1040. IRS workers can help

How to Know It’s Really the IRS Calling or Knocking

The IRS initiates most contacts through regular mail delivered by the United States Postal Service. However, there are special circumstances in which the IRS will call or come to a home or business, such as:
when a taxpayer has an overdue tax bill,
to secure a delinquent tax return or a delinquent employment tax payment, or,
to tour a business as part of an audit or during criminal investigations.

Even then, taxpayers will generally first receive several letters (called “notices”) from the IRS in the mail. For more information, visit “How to know it’s really the IRS calling or knocking on your door” on IRS.gov.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

This is a SCAM. IRS will NEVER Call you! They only communicate via US Mail. They also usually have an Indian accent and run the scam operation from there. I feel bad for all the nice Indian people who have nothing to do with these bozoz.

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

Please see the IRS' recently-updated Tax Scams/Consumer Alerts page, which reiterates that "The IRS doesn't initiate contact with taxpayers by email, text messages or social media channels to request personal or financial information. Recognize the telltale signs of a scam."

See also the IRS's article "How to know it’s really the IRS calling or knocking on your door," which states, in part:

Note that the IRS does not:

• Call to demand immediate payment using a specific payment method such as a prepaid debit card, gift card or wire transfer. Generally, the IRS will first mail a bill to any taxpayer who owes taxes.
  • Demand that you pay taxes without the opportunity to question or appeal the amount they say you owe. You should also be advised of your rights as a taxpayer.
  • Threaten to bring in local police, immigration officers or other law-enforcement to have you arrested for not paying. The IRS also cannot revoke your driver’s license, business licenses, or immigration status. Threats like these are common tactics scam artists use to trick victims into buying into their schemes.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

This is a scam. Under no circumstances will the IRS ever call you on the phone. There are no exceptions. If the IRS was taking legal action against you, then you would be notified of this in writing that would be physically put in your hand by a uniformed law enforcement officer - most likely your local sheriff but could be as high as a U.S. Marshal. Ignore the phone call.

The IRS issued this:

Issue Number:    IR-2019-195

Inside This Issue

National Tax Security Awareness Week, Day 2: Don’t take the bait: Recognize, avoid phishing scams from identity thieves

WASHINGTON – As the holiday season approaches, the IRS and Security Summit partners warned taxpayers to watch out for phishing scams in the deluge of holiday email messages coming from retailers and others.

More than 90% of all data thefts begin with an email phishing scam. The IRS, state tax agencies and the nation’s tax industry – working together as the Security Summit – warned people to watch out for phishing scams during the busy holiday shopping period and in advance of the 2020 tax season.

“Identity thieves are looking for new and different ways to use phishing schemes to obtain sensitive information from people in hopes of filing fraudulent tax return,” said IRS Commissioner Chuck Rettig. “This is the season of giving but be careful and don’t give your sensitive financial or tax information to an identity thief.”

Guarding against phishing scams is the focus of Day 2 of National Tax Security Awareness Week. For the fourth year in a row, the IRS, state tax agencies and the nation’s tax industry are highlighting the holiday period as a time to remember important safety tips everyone should take to protect their sensitive tax and financial data.

The week continues through Dec. 6 with a series of special educational efforts taking place at more than 25 partner events across the country to raise awareness about protecting taxpayers and tax professionals from identity theft. The week includes special social media efforts on platforms including Twitter and Instagram, including a special Twitter chat on @IRSnews and #TaxSecurity on Thursday.

Phishing scams remain a year-round threat to taxpayers.

“The best defense against these scams is a well-informed user. Remember: Don’t take the bait,” Rettig said.

Here’s what you need to know to protect yourself from phishing scams:

• First, the most common way thieves steal identities is simply by asking for it. Their favorite tactic is a phishing email. Phishing emails “bait” users into opening them. They pose as a trusted company like a bank, a favorite retailer or even a tax professional.
  • Second, learn to recognize and avoid these phishing emails. The scams tell an urgent story – like there’s a problem with your account or your order. The message then instructs the receiver to open an embedded link or download an attachment.
  • Third, don’t take the bait. The email link may send users to a familiar website to login, but the username and password goes to the thieves. Or, the scam suggests users open an attachment, which secretly downloads malicious software.  Either method works for identity thieves.

These scam emails can show up in personal inboxes or even to a work inbox, endangering the entire organization. And mobile phone users are especially prone to responding more than those working on laptop or computer. If at home, just delete the email. If at work, follow the organization’s guidance on handling the email.

Watch out for scam letters, phone calls

Emails aren’t the only phishing tactic. Thieves may use letters or phone calls, especially when impersonating the IRS.

For example, recent letters claiming to be from the IRS are demanding payment of an overdue tax bill. The letter requests the check be paid to IRS, but it provides an incorrect telephone number. Remember: Letters for taxes due always request payment be made to the “United States Treasury.” If unsure, taxpayers can register at the official IRS.gov web site and check their account balanceif in doubt.

And no, that’s not the IRS calling with angry demands of payment and threats of jail or a lawsuit. The IRS does not make threatening phone calls, nor does the IRS request payment via gift cards or debit cards like iTunes.

People who receive an IRS-imposter email scam should send it to phishing@irs.gov. To report fraudulent letters and telephone calls, contact the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration at TIGTA.gov.

A new avenue is social media. Increasingly, thieves are embedding their links or malware in social media commentaries, tweets or posts. Do not open links from social media unless you are certain of the source.

The IRS, state tax agencies, the private sector tax industry, including tax professionals, work in partnership as the Security Summit to help protect taxpayers from identity theft and refund fraud. This is the second in a week-long series of tips to raise awareness about identity theft. See IRS.gov/SecuritySummit for details.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Can you check the CID of the caller?  Don't answer calls from people you don't know and even those you do if you think some may have spoofed their number or the caller is unknown or from an area code you don't recognize.  The telecoms claim no responsibility but they could stop the scams if they wanted to.  The FCC is moribund and useless and yet we are still told to report the millions of scam calls per day that they will not or do not have the human power to investiagate and the computers don't care how many people are scammed or for how much.  Computers don't care and neither do the politicians who are paid off to protect them and the telecom companies who contribute billions to the campaign funds.  I repeat, the telecom companies and your legislature could stop the scams but they will not do it until the voters force them to.

Call your Congress critter about every scam call.  Tell the watchdogs are lying down on the job and you want they to do their jobsand stop the scams and force the telecoms to stop the picking of the pockets of the trusting and naive people who are victims of these calls. Vote for people who will work in your interest and not the wealthy profiteers who put them in office with contributions which give them access where poor people have no voice.  Voting is not enough.  Civic duty requires a lot more than just voting.  It means constant vigilance and actively reporting the scams to the people who have the power to stop the scams.  Stop complaining unless the person you complain to can and will do something to fix the problems.

Scammers gonna scam and they are smart enough to scam the gullible and naive people who don't pay attention and complain to the  authorities that can and will do something,  Tell to hire more investigators and fund the investigations and send the FBI to catch them overseas. where most of the scam calls and websites and hackers originate.  Pressure from the voters in huge number is the only way to stop the scammers.  They have no fear now and it's getting worse by the minute.  They are coming for your stimulus checks like they never have before and they take all Americans for naive fools and most are indeed naive and easily fooled.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies