Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

The IRS keeps rejecting my return. And says my last year AGI doesn’t match. But I’m looking at it. And it’s exactly what i typed in

@av8rmike wish our story was the same. As we said, tried even the $0. Still didn't like spouses amount, as $0 nor the correct amount. Combing through the printing instructions (Fed and State) and looking for post offices...

av8rmike

The IRS keeps rejecting my return. And says my last year AGI doesn’t match. But I’m looking at it. And it’s exactly what i typed in

Our joint e-return was rejected twice, as I did not $0 the wife's AGI on the second go-around (not sure why on a joint return this mattered??). Third time through it worked. In the meantime I printed it all for a mailing back-up. I'd keep trying the e-file $0 AGI until your UPS deadline.

@av8rmike thanks for encouraging us to try again. It worked! An indicator of success was in the wizard, I hadn't yet seen a page where both AGIs (mine and spouse's) were shown as 0, until the time it worked. Hallelujah!

I am exactly entering all information correctly but It is still rejecting spose AGI. I tried everything suggested on their support but nothing worked. I am tired of Tired of Turbo tax now. My other colleagues had the same issue with Turbo tax, but they were successful e-filing with other platform. I am going to do the same and want my money back from Turbo tax.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

What if I entered the correct AGI and I’m still getting an e-file reject?      @bilalhasankhan

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I also had a similar problem that my spouses agi was incorrect. I went to fix it and it said the IRS already rejected with $0 so I put in the correct agi.  It rejected it again, so I decided to go to get a transcript. It agreed with my number. I went to fix it again and it still said irs rejected it with $0, I would have expected it to say it already rejected with my number.  Oh,well,  got an IP PIN for her , fixed the AGI to transcript and re submitted.  Still rejected with the same problem of incorrect AGI.  Went to fix it again and it still said irs had already tried $0.  Didn’t believe them.  Changed the AGI to zero, and it worked!  I also believe the original reject probably already used my correct last year’s number. Not $0.  Try $0. Of that doesn’t work, get an IP PIN and resubmit using a zero.  IRS must try to match the header without checking the IP PIN first. 
Please report this as a bug that the fix display doesn’t correctly say what was actually sent in the previous header.  

DawnC
Expert Alumni

What if I entered the correct AGI and I’m still getting an e-file reject?

gle2
Returning Member

Just had the same experience using the AGI from an accepted amended return for 2019.  I resubmitted the 2020 return using the 2019 AGI from the return prior to the amended and this time it was accepted.  My amended return was accepted 5 days ago so looks like the latency in updating the IRS database is at least 5 days.  Either that or possibly the IRS always uses the AGI from the first accepted submission for any given year.

Yes they always use the AGI from the original return, not the amended one.

GBG811

I did receive a letter because they updated my AGI for 2019. I filed it again with the amount shown on the letter instead of original amount filed. waiting to see if it will be accepted. Will update here if they do. Crossing fingers!!

St54
Level 1

As crazy  as it sounds, I did the same thing...entered "0".  The message said my AGI was incorrect, but we always file married/jointly...so I would assume the AGI was the AGI.   After confirming my numbers were correct, and tried one ore time, entered "0" and it was accepted.   I felt like it was a "trick" question.  Anyway, thank you to everyone on this forum who suggested putting in a "0". 

Inecyia17

My AGI keeps rejecting and I put the AGI in from 2020

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the information in this TurboTax FAQ here for assistance with your rejected AGI.

I believe the solution has been found, or at least it worked for me on a different tax app and will probably work on TurboTax, too, and the problem was not the five digit PIN.

As we all know, when filing jointly, the app does not ask for our Prior Year AGI individually. In a joint return, we have one Prior Year AGI and that's the way it's entered. Apparently, the problem is a glitch in the app for joint filers, probably in the IRS system, that recognizes the Prior Year AGI as belonging to the tax payers but not the spouse. Here is the solution that worked in FreeTaxUSA and will probably work in TurboTax:

1. Go to the page that asks for your Prior Year AGI.
2. When asked if you filed a 2020 tax return, answer yes.
3. Even if you filed jointly in the past, click on the option that "Only the taxpayer filed a return".
4. On the Prior Year AGI or PIN page answer YES, that you have access to the primary taxpayers AGI.
5. On the Prior Year AGI page, enter the correct amount of your joint return's Prior Year AGI as if it's for the primary taxpayer only. This will make the app assume that the spouse's Prior Year AGI is 0.
6. Continue and ignore any alerts and fill out the rest of the pages until you can press the Send Tax Return button.

karenkos

Tried the 'enter 0' suggestions - DOES NOT WORK!  Tried the steps recommended by Pasha87 - DID NOT WORK!   Have had this EXACT SAME PROBLEM for the last 2 years with no solutions.  Thinking I may need to switch tax programs next year as I have used this for over 20 years without any problems and it no longer works for me.  Talked with IRS and with Intuit last year and a lot of finger pointing going on, both blaming the other but unfortunately no solutions!  Only seems to be an issue with married filing jointly returns, can file my mom's individual return and it works ok. Thanks for nothing Intuit!  

UPDATE -  After trying the recommendation from PASHA and getting rejected then trying again with the combination and entering 0 as the AGI for the primary it finally worked.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies