Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

mhpr
Returning Member

How many people can use each TurboTax software?

I told my dad it shouldn't be a problem for me to use his software because: how can TurboTax  know whether or not I'm using one of his computers or mine?  Isn't that the only way he'd be violating the EULA by letting me use it?

tlcdayle
Returning Member

I own 2 computers but they are at different locations can I use the same code for each user? Does the second person have to have the actual cd or will the lic. code do.?

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

You can use the same license code for up to 5 computers/returns. 

The second person can download from the Turbo Tax website, using the code from your CD. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

To clarify about the Desktop program.  You can install the Desktop CD/Download on 5 computers you own.  You can do unlimited returns and efile 5 federal for free.  The rest you can print and mail.   In Deluxe and above you get 1 free State Program download which can prepare unlimited state returns in that state.  Then each state efile including the first one is currently $25 to efile.  Or you can print and mail state for free.  If you nee to file a return for a different state you have to buy another state program download.  

To file an additional return with TurboTax Online you would have to start a new account, with a new user id and password, and you would have to pay separately for each one.

If you have several returns to file, the TurboTax Desktop version may be better because you can prepare as many returns as you would like and can e-file up to five for free. Any additional returns would have to be mailed. 

You can also get one free state program with the TurboTax Desktop version, but will be charged to e-file every state return. 

It also depends of the platform that you use Window or Mac computer . TurboTax requires,  specifically Mac  OS  Mojave 10.14  or advance , If you don’t have it, the change to use the desktop version is zero ! You will have to use the online version that can be used only one time per register account with my TurboTax Intuit ! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can prepare returns for 1 state at no additional cost.  Multiple states require a fee per state.

While you can e-file state returns, there is a fee with this.  We prepare our state return with turbotax and then print it and mail it in as postage is cheaper than the fee to e-file.

ln975

what happened when I purchased a wrong program and must convert to a CD download to file my children tax returns?  How do I make this happen?

What did you buy?  Did you pay for an Online return and want to switch to the Desktop installed program?

You can move your Online file to the Desktop program and continue without paying for Online or needing to reenter your info.  If you already paid for the Online version you can ask them for the Desktop program. And you can buy a lower version Desktop program.  All the Desktop programs have the same forms.  You just get more help and guidance in the higher versions.

To continue in the desktop version see this…….

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-th...

Download the .tax2022 file for free

How do I save my TurboTax Online return as a tax data file?

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return .tax file is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - NEW).  Just enter some basic personal info like your name and address then click on the State tab at the top and it should ask if you want to download the state program.

You can buy the CD/Download here or in stores.  You need a full Windows or Mac computer to install it.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies