Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Taxes won't efile- says update needed

@app1hxw wrote:

I did check update again and again, no useful, What I can do?

Mac or Windows?

If Windows scroll back a few posts for the manual update FAQ.

=======

If Mac then:

Corruption could have occurred in the Application or in an associated preference or support file.

The best remedy is to totally uninstall TurboTax and all associate files and then re-install. That will not delete or change any .tax2020 data file that had already been created with the tax data.

To uninstall the application and all associated files need to be deleted and then the application reinstalled. If there was a state then the state must also be reinstalled.

To remove TurboTax from your computer, you'll need administrative rights.

Here is a FAQ for how to uninstall Mac
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901210-remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901209-reinstall-turbotax-mac

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
ekf_66

How do I up grade when the system is asking for it but the system says on update is needed.

That was the problem I had in February. I tried all the restarts and reinstallations, but what finally worked was waiting until it changed its mind and updated. It is very frustrating and Intuit could fix it if they chose to.

Willyfromstlouie
Returning Member

This is terrible - i've tried everything and the software still will not transmit the efile forms - tried doing the federal only and got some validation error and told me to update - guess what, software is up to date per the update scripts. 

@Willyfromstlouie wrote:

This is terrible - i've tried everything and the software still will not transmit the efile forms - tried doing the federal only and got some validation error and told me to update - guess what, software is up to date per the update scripts. 

See:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/updating/help/what-is-a-manual-update/01/26074?search-action-id=16...

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

If you are using WIN 10 then uninstalled OS updates can hang up the TT program updates ... install the WIN updates at least 3 times and then reboot the computer.   Then try updating the TT program making sure you are using an administrator account, the program is installed on the C drive  and that you don't have any removable drives in the USB ports.  

I have tried that numerous times.  It is updated.  I also checked for any errors on forms and there are no errors.

jsimpson2

Still can't file after multiple attempts.

benes

using latest iMac software, the file won't transmit 2021 return.

I assume if there were updates, turbo tax would automatically inform me to update.

No message hence - can't get around loop

If some forms aren't final yet, how do I know when they are?

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

We recommend that you sign up within TurboTax to be notified when your form is ready. When you try to e-file a form that's not available yet, you'll get a message with the option to sign up.

Please click on Review, on the left menu.  You may see a message "Some of your tax forms are not ready".  Below the message, you can select the link that says "I want to sign up for email notifications

Please see the TurboTax FAQ's below for form availability:

@benes

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having the same issue but this time with the 1116 schedule b . The form was updated with the update dated 3/11/22 but when i want to transmit it said that it was missing the attachment which i created and turbi did not have the 1116 sched B form error but cannot efile because it required an update but which i did numerous time. So I think the 1116 schedule B form is stopping the efile using the you need an update error efile message. I have already perform a manually update but still getting the error message. Perhaps my manual  creation of the attachment schedule B form that turbo needed is messing my efile ?

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

Our TurboTax Development Team has been working non-stop to support e-file for IRS Form 1116 Sch B. We’re happy to share that the functionality is currently available in our Online Product. Desktop functionality should also be ready today Saturday 3/12/22. Look out for a new engine update and you should be able to e-file!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies