turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

.tax2023 File Disappeared

I have not been able to resolve my problem.

Most "answers" failed to address the actual problem, which is that there is no longer a .tax2023 file on my hard drive.  It wasn't in the recycle bin either.

If TurboTax didn't save a copy (which I have read is the case) then how can there be solutions coming to this "known problem?"

No one apparently wants to tell us that the only solution is to re-enter the data--assuming we printed a copy.

Another aspect of this is that TurboTax failed to send a message indicating my refund had been deposited by the Treasury Department.  Perhaps this is another consequence of losing my .tax2023 file.

It's concerning to deal with a company that can't acknowledge a problem.  All of us with this problem should be compensated--perhaps with an offer of a free copy of 2024 software when it is issued.

Here's some ideas.  Windows has a habit of moving your files to One Drive.

One user said….
When you install the program I recall it asks for Admin rights. So I logged off my account that I WAS in when I installed the program and logged in as administrator. I started TurboTax under the Admin account and my files were there. In the C:\Users\Admin\Documents folder. I NEVER USE THIS ACCOUNT!

I exited the program and account and went back in using my normal user ID. I then restarted the program by Right-Clicking the icon and selecting Run as Administrator. The files were there...made my day. I opened them and did a "Save As" to the file folder that has all my past returns and matches the User ID I was in when I set it up.

In short TurboTax is saving them in the default C:Drive Admin account document folder and if you are not starting as an Administrator they are invisible. Hope this helps.

Another user said……Some people have discovered their files were under their administrator username. They didn't remember that they had to log in with administrator privileges at some point when installing the desktop version, so they started their returns and saved them while using their admin user account. (In this case, people were returning and logging into their usual, non-admin user account, not realizing what happened and not finding their files under their primary "user".)

Also you never get an email when the IRS deposits your refund.  Unless you get email alerts from your bank for deposits.  

Unfortunately, running the program "as Administrator" did not turn up any of the missing files.

Thanks go to VolvoGirl for actually reading the problem and making reasonable suggestions.

However, still no progress...

1. When I set up this computer a year ago, I made sure that OneDrive was deactivated.

2. The single account on this computer has Administrator privileges.  So when I initially searched for .tax2023, that should have discovered any file that required an Administrator to see.  And, specifically, using Administrator to start TT did not cause .tax2023 to appear.

Also, thank you for clearing up my misunderstanding about getting a notice of refund issue.

Now comes a fresh oddity...

When I started TT today, it asked to update Federal and Oklahoma files.  If .tax2023 no longer exists, how did TT know I used Oklahoma forms?  In my many years of using TT, 2023 was the only year I used OK forms.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

This I believe is related to this issue where there seems to be no .tax2023 file. 

This is a known issue. Sign up here for updates: Why are some TurboTax customers unable to transfer last year's return into TurboTax? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

2022 was my first year using TT.

Now I've installed TT 2023 Desktop and the .tax2022 file is nowhere to be found.

It's a semi-complicated return and I have no interest in starting from scratch.

I don't plan to use TT next year....maybe I'll pay extra and buy HRB for 2023 just so I can get a return for 2023.

For some reason the update to Turbo Tax 2023 starts you back as if you have not started your 2023 taxes.  If you open Turbo Tax 2023 again and browse for your file you will see in the bottom right hand part of the screen it only includes the 2022 extension.  It does not give  you an option to see 2023 tax files.  Choose your 2022 tax return and say transfer then before saving click open return.  It will ask you if you want to save the newly begun 2023 tax return, change the name on it so you don't copy over your 2023 return.  After this, click open return and you can click on find a file and you will see now at the bottom right hand corner it does have the 2023 tax file option.  It will take you to both you old file and renamed file.  Select your original file and you will have the file you are looking for.  Works for all 2023 files you have worked on but you will have to open and resave for them to pop up in the program. Hope this helps

Look at my reply to Hauckster.  The answer to your question is there.

Jeff-911

I have just had the same problem.

I have the same problem.  I finished and efiled my fed and state 2023 taxes from the TT desktop version on 3/16/2024. I checked today 4/15 for the tax and pdf copy files and all are gone from my PC.  All gone.  I need to amend my returns and will have to somehow recreate them.  I will likely have to get transcripts from the IRS and my state.  This is not acceptable.  Judging by the large number of complaints on this subject, it appears that Turbotax has a major problem.  And there is no way that Turbotax can repair the damage done.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Here is a community thread that includes how a user found a solution: https://turbotax.response.lithium.com/console/agent/14456628?

That link is password protected, so I cannot access the information.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Sorry, here is the correct link: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-tax2023-file-disappeared/01/3315633#M1220199

That link simply takes us back to the present discussion thread, so no help there. I called TT service yesterday, who said they would call me back later when I was at home with my computer, but the call never came. That’s poor service. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies