Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

.tax2023 File Disappeared

This is the post in the thread I am referring to:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you, @lindamichelle, for that outline of a solution.

I am probably using a different version than yours, because I could follow all the steps, just not exactly as you experienced them.

I now have my 2023 tax file back!

Judging by the lack of reasonable responses by TT, I think they need people like you who have a functional brain and willingness to try different paths toward a solution.

Now we will wait to see if TT apologizes for the mess they created.  And wait to see if they update the software to include a solution.  Guesses on that?

Thank you again.

After reading @lindamichelle  advice I searched and found a 2022 tax file in my documents folder.  I tried to transfer it into my desktop TT but got the message that the file was corrupt.  Oddly a 2023 version of that file was then auto saved to my documents, but upon trying to open that in TT also brought the corrupt file message.  I contacted TT service twice.  The first time the supervisor implied that I simply must have not searched properly for the 2023 file on my PC.  The second time I insisted on a refund for this years software, which I got.  I will have to order copies of my forms from the IRS.  My advice is that every time you edit your file, save it to multiple media and/or your cloud storage, which may protect it from buggy updates from TT.  I did tell TT service that their community board is buzzing with the problem, so it will be interesting to see if they fess up to the problem and fix it.

texas jim

The solution worked for me.  steps might have been slighly different but I have my file back.

Thanks

When I click on that link, the web page cannot be found.

That did not work for me.  Only the newly renamed file showed up.

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

If that solution did not work for you, please contact TurboTax using the information here

@srgetel 

Hi,  I’m delaying trying to do a complicated fix for this on my PC.  Is TT going to reinstall our 2023 tax returns during a future update?  Thanks. 

Does anyone know if TurboTax will be re-installing our missing 2023 tax returns during another update?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Please refer to this help article for guidance on locating your .tax2023 tax file.  If you are using TurboTax Desktop, it will be saved on your computer drive.  

@mrteigland 

Hi Jotika,

I tried to find my missing years tax files using the link you sent but couldn't find any at all.  I'm using Windows 11 on my desktop.  I've also tried other fixes used by others in this thread to locate any tax files but they've all been missing since the last Turbotax update.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks!  

I just signed in to my 2023 Turbotax program and it did another update.  I was hoping my 2023 taxes would reappear but unfortunately they did not.  However, I'm now getting an error code 119 message.  Any help?  Thanks.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Here is one more link with some suggestions to help you.  Unfortunately, if none of these options work, you may need to use this link to contact us for product support assistance.

@mrteigland 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies