turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Jeneeb
Returning Member

Tax

okay soo I recently filed for taxes claiming my child and i found out my grandma claimed me days later after I filed and I kno we both can’t be claiming. She told me today that her refunds was accepted supposedly and there’s nothing she can do. I filed first 3 days ago and mines is still processing. What can I do if hers really was approved before mine 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Tax

First,  tell us why Grandma thought she could claim you and your child.  How old were you at the end of 2019?  How much income did you have in 2019?  Were you a full-time student in 2019?  Who supported you?  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Jeneeb
Returning Member

Tax

She didn’t claim my child, she claimed just me. I was 19 end of 2019 and I support myself and I pay rent to her

Tax

@Jeneeb Then who claimed your child?  If you are a dependent you cannot claim to have a dependent.

WHO CAN I CLAIM AS A DEPENDENT?

You can claim a child, relative, friend, fiance (etc.) as a dependent on your 2019 taxes as long as they meet the following requirements:

Qualifying child

• They are related to you.

• They cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

• They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or   Mexican resident.

• They are not filing a joint return with their spouse.

• They are under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).

• No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children

They live with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).

• They cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

• They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.

• They are not filing a joint return with their spouse.

They lived with you the entire year.

• They made less than $4200  (not counting Social Security)

• You provided more than half of their financial support. More info

When you add someone as a dependent, we'll ask a series of questions to make sure you can claim them.

Related Information:

Does a dependent have to live with me?

What does "financially support another person" mean?

Can I claim a newborn baby?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Tax

If Grandma claimed you and her return is accepted first, then your return is going to be rejected.  If Grandma should not have claimed you then she has to amend her own return.  Meanwhile if your return is rejected, you can file it on paper and mail it in instead.  But first sort out with Grandma whether she is paying over half the support for you and your child--the link above will take you to a support test to help determine that.  

Jeneeb
Returning Member

Tax

I support myself and my child, We discussed That I was going to claim my child and she was not going to claim me or my child

Jeneeb
Returning Member

Tax

She’s saying there’s nothing she can do but just give me a thousand dollars  for claiming me 

Jeneeb
Returning Member

Tax

I answered in the replies above that I claimed my child 

Tax

Look at your own Form 1040.  What is your tax refund on line 20?

PREVIEW 1040

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

What child-related credits do you see on your own tax return?

Child Tax Credit line 13a

Credit for Other Dependents line 13a

Earned Income Credit line 18a

Additional Child Tax Credit line 18b

Child and Dependent Care Credit line 18d

Is Grandma"s offer of $1000 close enough to call it okay?  Except....if Grandma did not claim your child as well as claiming you...she could get child related credits for the child, too.  

You two have kind of a mess and it is hard to sort it out in this forum.  

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies