Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mwatson89765
Returning Member

Tax overpayment

I filed a 2021 federal extension and made a payment at that time via TurboTax. The amount I paid is reflected in the tool, but when I now go to file my return, it is not reflecting the amount I already paid.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Tax overpayment

When you requested your extension you were supposed to pay your estimated tax due.  Did you enter the payment you made into your tax return?  Go to Federal>Deductions and Credits>Estimates and Other Taxes Paid>Other Income Taxes 

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Mwatson89765
Returning Member

Tax overpayment

Yes, the amount I paid is reflected in TurboTax in the other taxes section.  When i now go to finalize my return, it doesn't appear to be deducting that amount I already paid.  

Tax overpayment

@Mwatson89765 wrote:

Yes, the amount I paid is reflected in TurboTax in the other taxes section.  When i now go to finalize my return, it doesn't appear to be deducting that amount I already paid.  

If you entered the tax payment made with the extension request correctly in the TurboTax program -

The federal extension payment will be shown on Schedule 3 Line 10. The amount from Schedule 3 Part II Line 15 flows to Form 1040 Line 31

Is there an amount entered on the Form 1040 Line 31?

Mwatson89765
Returning Member

Tax overpayment

ok - Schedule 3 line 10 is blank.  but my extension payment is recorded in the other taxes section you noted.  Do I just manually enter it in the schedule 3?

Tax overpayment

@Mwatson89765 wrote:

ok - Schedule 3 line 10 is blank.  but my extension payment is recorded in the other taxes section you noted.  Do I just manually enter it in the schedule 3?

Where in the Other Income Taxes section is the amount paid shown?

It should have been entered in the section Payments with Extension and specifically in Payment with 2021 federal extension -

Screenshots 

Extension Payment TTD.JPG

Extension Payment TTD 1.JPG

Extension Payment TTD 2.JPG

Mwatson89765
Returning Member

Tax overpayment

Yes, i did the extension via TurboTax and it is reflecting in the step by step as you mention, but it is not pulling into the 1040.

Screenshot 2022-08-05 093249.png

Mwatson89765
Returning Member

Tax overpayment

as you can see, it is not pulling over

Screenshot 2022-08-05 093630b.png

Tax overpayment

Ok...Have you updated your TurboTax software to the latest release?

Click on Online at the top of the desktop program screen and then click on Check for Updates.

Current version for the 2021 TurboTax for Windows editions is 021.000.0738 (Click on Help>About TurboTax>Version)

If correct, then delete the amount paid with the extension and click on Done.  Return back to Extension Payment and re-enter the amount.

If this does not correct the problem, then in Forms mode click on the Tax Payments Worksheet (Tax Payments) on the left side of the screen.  Enter the extension payment on Line 9 of the Worksheet on Federal.  This should transfer the payment to Schedule 3 Line 10.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies