Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Still cannot efile

My returns have been done for weeks but I still cannot e-file my federal or New York state return.  New York mandates efiling and I don't see the reason for having this return only to be told I "should just mail it in"

When does intuit expect to have the updates ready?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
CassLO
Intuit Alumni

Still cannot efile

State tax forms can become available for filing any time between December and late February, depending on the state and the tax form. While you’re working on your return, you’ll have a chance to let us know you want to receive email updates when your forms become available.

Please click here to check NY state forms availability. If all forms are available, please click here for instructions to contact customer care.

Please see the below links for additional information:

Is there a penalty if I don't e-file my New York return?

NY State

NY State 2

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dliotta

Still cannot efile

I was having same issue in Illinois. Called TurboTax support and it turned out to have something to do with the federal return update.  They sent me a manual update file and once applied it efiled my return as it should.  Try giving their support line a call.

Still cannot efile

According to that list, the state tax forms are available.  I also requested the emails to tell me when the forms were available and received the email notification.  Yet, when I try to update my turbotax, the forms are not updated and it still says the forms are not available.  I also am stuck in the endless loop of "an update is available and needs to be downloaded" so I cannot efile my federal return.

I have been giving a link with a patch, I have been sent a file to update yet none of it works and none of it fixes my problem.  I understand that I can technically file by mail, but what is the purpose of getting turbotax if I cannot efile?  That is the whole reason for the having the software.

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Still cannot efile

Customer service is better able to assist you.

Please follow the instructions below to contact customer service. 

What is the TurboTax phone number? - Community 

Still cannot efile

Customer Service was not able to assist me.  The guy was asking me if I had uploaded my w-2 or if I entered my SSN.  Then told me I needed to reboot my printer and my computer.  Finally ended off by saying "We are having issues with forms today, call back tomorrow".  I mentioned about getting the manual update as suggested by a user above and he said they don't have anything like that.

I have been trying to file my taxes for a month.  How is it that some people can efile, but my program cannot, and somehow the issue is i need to reboot my computer when I get a message that I need to update my federal forms to efile but then there are no available updates?

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Still cannot efile

Sometimes e-file just won't work,and you have to print and mail your tax returns.

Although New York generally requires you to e-file, there is an exception if the software does not allow for e-file.

If you are NOT including a payment, mail your return to:

STATE PROCESSING CENTER
PO BOX 61000
ALBANY NY 12261-0001

If you ARE including a payment (check or money order), mail your return (including Form IT-201-V) to:

STATE PROCESSING CENTER
PO BOX 15555
ALBANY NY 12212-5555

Still cannot efile

I get turbo tax yearly to efile not to file by mail.  Otherwise, whats the point of spending the money for the program?  And if efiling doesn't work, how come other people on this forum have been able to efile?  Also, I cannot MAIL in a tax return because turbo tax will not even print the returns.  It tells me the forms are not available so nothing can be printed.

There is a major flaw which needs to be corrected or it appears I have wasted my money on the program this year and therefore will be the last time I spend a penny on it.

Still cannot efile

If it keeps telling you there is an update then use the manual update.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/updating/help/what-is-a-manual-update/01/26074

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies